Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 5:50:38 AM EDT
I was going to put this is GD, but Who knows what ind of answers I would have gotten over there.

I am picking up a new rifle from a FFL that I haven't used before, he seems like a great guy to work with and so far there hasn't been any hassles.  

In talking to him the other day, I asked if it would be all right if I picked the gun up on Sunday after work, at around 7:30-8:00 pm.  He said that he didn't have any problems with it but wasn't sure if he could get the NICS check done because it would be so late.  

So, the question is, does anyone know if the NICS system shuts down at a specific time, or is it a 24/7 thing?  I would hate to have to drive out to him just to find out that they shut the system down at 6:00 or something.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#1]
No, it's NOT 24/7. They do go 7 days a week as there's gun shows every weekend somewhere in the country.

I cannot recall if they change hours from M-F versus S-S?  Seems like they do go to 9-10pm CST most nights. If you're EST, then 8pm may indeed borderline, if not too late.

You could go down & fill out the 4473 a day earlier & have him run it before you take delivery. Seems like there's a 24 hr window to do this? You could probably find this info on the BATF web site, possibly the NRA web site? Your dealer should know too.

What he cannot do is run your check before you fill out the 4473, it has to be done after you fill it out & sign it!

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Hope this is current:

NICS Information:
Customer Service
1-877-444-NICS (6427)

www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/index.htm

The NICS is customarily available 17 hours a day, 7 days a week, including holidays (except for Christmas).

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have time beforehand, go fill it out and run it.  You have a 72 hour (IIRC) window AFTER approval to pick it up wihtout having to run another check.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]
They open at 7am EST and close at 1am EST.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top