Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 7:11:54 PM EDT
Hey,

First post here.  Anyway here is the issue.  I'm interested in buying a Mauser and would like to find a K98 or something that closely resembles one.   Not really looking to buy an original K98 as im sure most of them saw a lot of wear and tear.  Not to mention the originals are probably more expensive.  I like collecting the basic ww2 rifles and this is the next one im looking to add to my collection. :)

More concerned with having a functional accurate rifle than an original or a just a looker.  It will do more than just sit on the rack and will no doubt help me bag a few whitetails.  Anyway, does anyone have any advice?  Good condition and reasonable price is a must.  

Phil

Edit: Just for reference, this is what ive been looking at picking up http://www.mitchellsales.com/rifles/hist_m48/index.htm
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Mitchells are Yugoslav M48s. M48s are an intermediate action, not a 98 action which is about a quarter inch longer. Mitchells are also way overpriced for a new old stock M48.

Samco Global has real 98Ks for less than the Mitchells
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks I'm taking a look at those now.  The M24/47 seems to be the only one they offer in excellent condition.  But I'm leaning toward the German 98k.  Any noticable differences in accuracy or quality with the choices they offer?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
M48s are an intermediate action, not a 98 action which is about a quarter inch longer.

PMFJI, but this is technically incorrect.  All the weapons discussed so far in this thread are, in fact, Mauser 98 actions, as characterized by the third locking lug and "cock on opening action," as opposed to those built on the weaker Mauser 96 action.  The M48 and the M24/47 are intermediate length actions, as opposed to the 98K, Vz24, etc, which is the standard length action.  The intermediate length action is approx .25in shorter screw-to-screw than a standard action.  This really only affects replacement items, such as bolts and firing pins, or replacement stocks.  It takes a pretty practiced eye to look at an action and tell the difference between an intermediate and standard length.

BTW, AIM Surplus has Excellent Condition Vz24's (one of the nicest standard-length 98's) if you're really set on a standard length, but the 24/47 is one of the nicest Mausers from the era.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mitchells are Yugoslav M48s. M48s are an intermediate action, not a 98 action which is about a quarter inch longer. Mitchells are also way overpriced for a new old stock M48.

Samco Global has real 98Ks for less than the Mitchells

I own one of the collector grade M48 's from Mitchells. I paid $299.99 for mine with all the goodies. I don't consider it overpriced as it is in total mint perfect condition. 100% finish with mint shiny bore and 100% wood with ZERO handling marks. I only wanted one for my collection and wanted a shooter that would turn heads at the range. I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
[I own one of the collector grade M48 's from Mitchells. I paid $299.99 for mine with all the goodies. I don't consider it overpriced as it is in total mint perfect condition. 100% finish with mint shiny bore and 100% wood with ZERO handling marks. I only wanted one for my collection and wanted a shooter that would turn heads at the range. I'm very happy with it.

I have a complete, unfired M48 with all the goodies. It is in pristine, unfired condition.  I only paid $159 for it (back in 2000), but it was COVERED in cosmoline.  I spent a lot of time/elbow grease cleaning up the weapon.  So I paid $140 less for mine, but there was some real time and effort involved in getting it up to the same condition the Mitchell Mausers come in.  The extra $140 does buy you something.  You just have to decide if it's worth it.  The MM's I've seen are in just outstanding condidtion.  So's my M48.

Seems time and money are the two resources I'm always balancing in life.  I saved a fair bit of money, but I spent an awful lot of time.  If I had to do it over again, I might have taken the easy way out.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice.   They seem to be pretty cheap overall for a good rifle.  I don't mind spending a few dollars extra for something nice in excellent condition.  I just want a bore and action in near perfect condition.  I will be firing it often at the range and plan on hand loading for it.  I guess my main concern with getting one of the cheaper ones is winding up with a rifle that had thousands of  corrosive rounds fired through it and been beat up a lot.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#7]
check aimsurplus.com

They have 98K's, M48's, M48A's, Vz24's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top