Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 4:14:01 PM EDT
Has anyone ever shot a deer with a 50 bmg?  If so, what kind of wounds did it inflict and was there anything left of the deer?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Inspite of the previous post, personally I would not hunt deer with a 50bmg if you actually like eating venison.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Inspite of the previous post, personally I would not hunt deer with a 50bmg if you actually like eating venison.

And have you actualy tried it to see what happens, or seen someone else try it, or are you just talking out your ass?

I haven't done it, and haven't seen it done, but I can't imagine it doing to a deer what a .223 does to a prarie dog, so I'd guess (and it IS just a guess) that there'd be plenty of meat left.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't tried it, but I am thinking about doing it with my Barrett to get me extreme range.  Just curious if that would be advisable.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yep,..Cause we all know that if the discussion includes a .50 weapon....Oh forget it
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll try it someday when I get a 50.

I can't imagine that it would be TOO bad... I mean, a 50 isn't as fast as a lot of deer calibers, and doesn't expand.  A lot of the baseball-sized holes left in deer is a result of super-fast calibers with light jackets that cause a lot of expansion and damage.

A 50 cal. muzzleloader just punches through.  A 50bmg would be  pointed too, so not as much energy transfer as it would have if it were blunt.

Just conjecture here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I haven't tried it, but I am thinking about doing it with my Barrett to get me extreme range.  Just curious if that would be advisable.

Sorry.  I should clarify that my comment was not directed at you -- nothing wrong with your question.  I've actually had the same question, but I don't have the $ for a .50bmg, so the question for me is purely theoretical.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And have you actualy tried it to see what happens, or seen someone else try it, or are you just talking out your ass?

I haven't done it, and haven't seen it done, but I can't imagine it doing to a deer what a .223 does to a prarie dog, so I'd guess (and it IS just a guess) that there'd be plenty of meat left.

I know what a .243 does to a coyote and I know what a .300 winmag does to a deer so while as you observed I may not have ever actually shot a deer with a .50bmg I seriously doubt there would be much left to eat.

The above are much closer comparrison than hitting a prarie dog with a .223 so tell me exactly who is talking out of their ass.

BTW Einstien did you notice that I said, "personally I would not hunt deer with a 50bmg" which is a lot different from saying something like you would be a stupid asshat if you hunted deer with a .50bmg.

If you don't like that you can kiss the ass you allege that I am talking out of?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have harvested penty of deer with a .50 muzzle loader.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have harvested penty of deer with a .50 muzzle loader.

A .50 Muzzle Loader is very much different from a .50bmg.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what a .243 does to a coyote and I know what a .300 winmag does to a deer so while as you observed I may not have ever actually shot a deer with a .50bmg I seriously doubt there would be much left to eat.

The above are much closer comparrison than hitting a prarie dog with a .223 so tell me exactly who is talking out of their ass.

BTW Einstien did you notice that I said, "personally I would not hunt deer with a 50bmg" which is a lot different from saying something like you would be a stupid asshat if you hunted deer with a .50bmg.

Fuck off!

The .223 vs prarie dog was to bring the mental image of turning the target animal into nothing but red mist.  Thats ALL it was intended to do.

I've done my share of hunting.  I stand by my statement that I believe there'd be plenty of meat left.

.50bmg is slower than a lot of magnum rounds, and as stated, it does not expand.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#12]
If it just punches through would it not be like a 12 guage slug?  Just wondering, roughly the same diameter, velocity is off but hey, it is just zipping right through...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think it could possibly be a whole lot worse than my 7mm.  Shooting corelokt bullets really brings down a deer and does its fare share of damage.  The 7mm gets to be about .56 calibre before it exits the deer, and I doubt the 50 BMG would expand much if any.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If it just punches through would it not be like a 12 guage slug?  Just wondering, roughly the same diameter, velocity is off but hey, it is just zipping right through...

You know, that could be very close... a 12 ga. slug weighs in about the same as a 50.  It has a blunt end (more energy transfer) versus the pointed spire of the bmg.

The season's getting close... how bout someone putting one BEHIND the shoulder of one and settle this when it opens?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The .223 vs prarie dog was to bring the mental image of turning the target animal into nothing but red mist.  Thats ALL it was intended to do.

I've done my share of hunting.  I stand by my statement that I believe there'd be plenty of meat left.

.50bmg is slower than a lot of magnum rounds, and as stated, it does not expand.

Oh really, the average velocity of a 50bmg is 2750fps to 3000fps.  The .223 55gr averages less that 2500fps and .308 is all over the map depending on the load.

So you really don't know one way or the other and you have your opinion but I'm talking out of my ass because I have my own opinion all the while you don't even know the average velocity of a .50bmg round is.  Slower than a .223 or .308 indeed.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Shoot a solid core fmj 223 with a thick jacket at a prairie dog and it will zip right through.

Hollow points are specialty rounds.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Oh really, the average velocity of a 50bmg is 2750fps to 3000fps. The .223 55gr averages less that 2500fps and .308 is all over the map depending on the load.

Really?  Most of the 55grain .223 I've shot is upwards of 3300ftps.  The 45 grain varmint loads I use are about 3600 fps.

Either way, I'm done debating this with you.  You have your opinion.  I have mine.  Lets just agree to disagree until someone shoots a deer with a .50bmg and posts pics.

Edit to cut out the quoteing of quotes that makes posts hard to read
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Please note this is a technical forum.  Discussion is expected to be polite and respectful--and hopefully somewhat accurate.  No more nastiness from the Peanut Gallery, please.  

Agreed, I did not start with the unpleasantries but when attacked I will respond in kind.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Just heard from a guy on biggerhammer.net that he shot a doe throught the neck and there was just a .50 cal hole all the way through.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh really, the average velocity of a 50bmg is 2750fps to 3000fps. The .223 55gr averages less that 2500fps and .308 is all over the map depending on the load.

Really?  Most of the 55grain .223 I've shot is upwards of 3300ftps.  The 45 grain varmint loads I use are about 3600 fps.

Either way, I'm done debating this with you.  You have your opinion.  I have mine.  Lets just agree to disagree until someone shoots a deer with a .50bmg and posts pics.

Edit to cut out the quoteing of quotes that makes posts hard to read

I agree we can agree to disagree but can we agree to stop starting the disagreement with personal insults?  Are you capable of that?

Sorry I meant less that 2750fps in regards to the .223 round and if you search for this information you will find it.  It can be loaded hotter but the standard 55gr and 63gr ss109 do not exceed these velocities unless one starts using hand loads or Target/Match grade ammo.

The .50bmg while in most cases over five if no six times as heavy performs in much the same velocities.  Now if someone were to hit a Deer in the belly with a .50bmg perhaps it would, as others have said pass right through without to much flesh damage but if it encounter a bone don't even bother walking over to look at what is left of the corpse unless you enjoy seeing a pile of bloody hamburger.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sorry I meant less that 2750fps in regards to the .223 round and if you search for this information you will find it.  It can be loaded hotter but the standard 55gr and 63gr ss109 do not exceed these velocities unless one starts using hand loads or Target/Match grade ammo.  See Mrs Gloftoe's post, and the source it comes from.

The .50bmg while in most cases over five if no six times as heavy performs in much the same velocities.  Now if someone were to hit a Deer in the belly with a .50bmg perhaps it would, as others have said pass right through without to much flesh damage but if it encounter a bone don't even bother walking over to look at what is left of the corpse unless you enjoy seeing a pile of bloody hamburger.
I've seen what .50bmg does to plate steel, which is stronger than bone.  It punches a hole.

Again, we disagree.  Lets just leave it at that, ok?

Edit:  Guys (and girls), enjoy your thread, I'm outta here, hopefully I haven't hijacked it toooo far (and if I have, my apologies).  If someone posts pics, could you update the title to reflect it?  Otherwise I doubt I'll be back.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Just heard from a guy on biggerhammer.net that he shot a doe throught the neck and there was just a .50 cal hole all the way through.

Yeah and I heard a story about guy who knew this guy in Iraq that shot an insurgent in the stomach with a .50 and it nearly cut him in half.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Again, we disagree.  Lets just leave it at that, ok?

Edit:  Guys (and girls), enjoy your thread, I'm outta here, hopefully I haven't hijacked it toooo far (and if I have, my apologies).  If someone posts pics, could you update the title to reflect it?  Otherwise I doubt I'll be back.  

Ok so what did the bone fragments to.  Did they just disapeer or did they turn into fragments that ripped and tore the flesh on the way out?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah and I heard a story about guy who knew this guy in Iraq that shot an insurgent in the stomach with a .50 and it nearly cut him in half.  Go figure.

ok, from someone who has actually shot insurgents with a .50, I can say that I was thoroughly disappointed when I noticed that it doesnt tear them in half.  it goes through, causes some serious damage, but nothing that a 30.06 with an expanding round wouldnt do.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a video of taliban being shot with .50 bmg snipers in the mountains in afgahnistan. It pretty much rips their bodies to shreds,chunks,pieces,ribbons,etc.   I dont know how that can relate to a deer though.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have a video of taliban being shot with .50 bmg snipers in the mountains in afgahnistan. It pretty much rips their bodies to shreds,chunks,pieces,ribbons,etc.   I dont know how that can relate to a deer though.....

Those were prairie dogs, not "taliban" in the mountains of Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how do you know what video im talking about?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how do you know what video im talking about?

Just a guess.  There was a video floating around the board a while back, that claimed to be "sniper" footage from Afghanistan.  It was just something that someone threw together of various shots on prairie dogs.  Got a link to the video?  Hell, I'll even give you a place to host it.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#33]
hmm, well upon closer inspection it is not really clear on what they are shooting, i was just told that it was sniper footage,etc.  It is on my hdd, about 3mb in size. if anyone wants it i can email it
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I shot one with a .50 , once...........................

I flinched, buck fever, dontcha know.

Instead of my carefully aimed shot................ I hit it on the left front hoof.

It spun around 6-7 times, broke all it's legs, and the tail just fell off.

Then two other deer near the deer I had shot, dropped dead too.

We figured that the .50 cal bullet had sucked all of the air out of the area where it was fired, and suffocated them 2 other deer.

But then it got wierd.

For 7 days after that, we kept finding deer carcasses in the spot where I hoof shot that other one.

Apparently the .50 is so deadly it kills deer for 1 week, wherever it is fired toward.

So many deer died, everyone I knew, used their deer tags, claiming my deer. We ran out deer tags and had to call the DNR.

Luckily the Ranger said that the .50 is such a big round, any deer killed by it can be tagged with car-deer tags.

The is considered a car.

That's all true.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Back in Dec 99 my detachment had our HUMMVEE gun trucks on the range at night on Ft Knox, Ky.  We were conducting movement to contact drills with .50 cal M2 on the turrent ring with thermal sights.  Targets were heated with a electrical blanket to give a thermal image.  However in the middle of the range there were about 50 deer grazing.  We continued our drills with the deer still moving around.  One deer however was hit.  The next morning with the permission of the post game warden we butchered the deer.  It was a large doe that had been hit in the front shoulder, pentrating all the way thru to the opposite hide quarter and exiting.  Left rear quarter exit wound was the size of a grapefruit.  The whole inside was nothing but jello.  Live weight of the deer was estimated to be 125 lbs.

CD

Edited to add just finished tearing up some ammo cans with a Barrett M82.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#36]
heh, I know some fellers who shot a deer with a 105mm HEAT type practice round from a M60A3 tank. It did splatter all over place....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Is it legal to hunt with FMJ in your state?  

Yes, I saw the note of hp available, but it seems that most people in this thread are talking about fmj.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top