Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 7:10:00 AM EDT
The SA manual doesn't say anything about not dry firing, however common wisdom says not to dry fire rimfires. I lent the gun to a friend while we were hunting and he dry fired it several times.
Now the .22 bbl doesn't want to extract (takes a gerber or strong fingers).
I can see where the chamber mouth is dinged up. I'm hesitant to take a round file to it as I don't want to hurt the already shitty accuracy.
Since the manual doesn't say not to dry fire, do you think if I send it back to SA they will repair the chamber?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I am sure SA will fix it for you. You also may order a 22LR 'chamber iron' tool from Brownells. This tool is gently tapped into the 22 LR chamber. When it bottoms out it has restored the chamber from an oval to a round chamber.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#2]
dont dryfire rimfires?! Ive been dryfiring my SA XD 9mm handgun like mad to getr a feel for it, does that mean it could be damaged?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
dont dryfire rimfires?! Ive been dryfiring my SA XD 9mm handgun like mad to getr a feel for it, does that mean it could be damaged?

unless its some goofy 9mm rimfire wildcat I'd say you're safe
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

9mm is a centerfire cartridge, not rimfire.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

doh!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

doh!

1) Firing pin strikes primer centered in middle = centerfire

2) Firing pin strikes primer on rim of cartridge = rimfire

The only commonly available rimfires are in .22 (.22short, .22LR, etc.).  We all had to learn so don't be shy to ask questions.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Brownells.com sells a tool to iron firing pin dents out of the chamber.
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8869&title=.22+CHAMBER+IRONING+TOOL
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a friend do exactly the same thing.  I did use a very small tapered round file and worked the nub off.  No issues since - maybe 120-125 rounds - no effect on accuracy.

Jeff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top