Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2005 6:56:44 AM EDT
I few years ago I had the good fortune to find a Columbian KAR 98K style mauser chambered in .308.
Great, really great rifle.

Then, like an idiot, I sold it.

I would love to find another, or have a Yugo Mauser rechambered in .308.

Anybody know anyone who does a good job at this?

TIA

_DR
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have a standard Yugo Mauser in 7.92 x 57 mm you cannot simply rechamber it to 7.62 x51mm (308 Win) without buying a new barrel. The bore diameter on 7.92 mm is 0.323 inches, the bore diameter on 7.62 mm is .308 inches. Any gunsmith should be able to do it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you have a standard Yugo Mauser in 7.92 x 57 mm you cannot simply rechamber it to 7.62 x51mm (308 Win) without buying a new barrel. The bore diameter on 7.92 mm is 0.323 inches, the bore diameter on 7.62 mm is .308 inches. Any gunsmith should be able to do it.

You mean I have to buy a new barrel and a gunsmith can do it? Thanks for the info, didn't think about the chamber being larger diameter.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean I have to buy a new barrel and a gunsmith can do it? Thanks for the info, didn't think about the chamber being larger diameter.

the barrel diameter is too big on the original barrel, so yes you will need a new barrel.  make sure that your gunsmith doesnt bugger it up like mine did.  for some reason mine decided to headspace it so loose that a nogo gauge will literally move in the chamber with the bolt fully closed.

on my baby no less
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#4]
slightly off topic - could the m48 yugo mauser be rechambered for .30-06? What about .270 Win?
Would I need to find a new barrel for those? Where would one find a new barrel?
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
slightly off topic - could the m48 yugo mauser be rechambered for .30-06? What about .270 Win?

yes you could do either 270 or 30.06, and you will need a new barrel for both.  search wilson barrels, or douglas barrels.
numrich carries barrels as well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#6]
WoulDn't I be better off spending the money on a remington 700 than buying a new barrel, etc. Could get quite expensive. Or is the Mauser action that good that it is worth it over a modern bolt gun.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Woulsn't I be better off spending the money on a remington 700 than buying a new barrel, etc. Could get quite expensive. Or is the Mauser action that good that it is worth it over a modern bolt gun.

the mauser action is a great action, but in the end you would be better served by a remington or a savage(an under appreciated rifle for sure) as they will have a better trigger and be brand new for less than you could put together a custom mauser for.  but if you want custom like I did then its a fun project- just make sure your 'smith knows what the hell he's doing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Re-barreling old or surplus military rifles is expensive custom gunsmithing. The expenses incurred in this type of work can easily exceed the cost of purchasing a new rifle such as Remington 700. Also remember that the Mausers are generally not drilled and tapped for scope bases, add in that expense and you may be better off shopping for a M700 at Wal Mart.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#9]
If you've ever heard of the 8MM-'06, it was created for the situation you describe. It's a 30-06 case necked up to 8MM to be able to use the barrel that came on the Mausers.
It's a chamber reamer job... but I believe that it's a handloading only proposition. As cheap as surplus 8mm Mauser is, it might be a no-go.
-Hobbit

ETA: You're getting some rock-solid advice from some of the folks in this thread. Helpful people are invaluable.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes you could do either 270 or 30.06, and you will need a new barrel for both.  search wilson barrels, or douglas barrels.

Red - hate to keep bugging you, but I got to know.
I want an M48 with the military stock, sights, etc, but chambered in .270 or .30-06
If I bought a new barrel, would I be able to retain the sights/profile of the original?
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Red - hate to keep bugging you, but I got to know.
I want an M48 with the military stock, sights, etc, but chambered in .270 or .30-06
If I bought a new barrel, would I be able to retain the sights/profile of the original?

yes you could, it might be expensive to get the new barrel turned to the proper profile and get the sights installed correctly but it could be done.

but for the same price you might be able to buy a reloading setup for 8mm-06 or just 8mm mauser and roll your own ammo for cheap.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#12]
The only way you would be able to retain the original barrel profile and use the original sights would be to buy an unfinished barrel blank. The barrel blank would then be threaded and contoured/profiled to match your existing barrel. The chamber would then be cut to the caliber that you prefer and the headpsace set with gauges.The sights on your Yugo 8mm barrel are soldered on and they would have to be removed and resoldered on to the new barrel. The barrel finish would then have to be done to a level that would allow the barrel and the receiver finishes to match. All of this work takes time and time is money to a gunsmith. I am a gunsmith and I have done exactly what you want for other clients.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't believe that I would spend that kind of money on rebuilding a rifle to look like an M48.  If I were going to rebuild one to look like anything military it would be a Kar98.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#14]
You may have to rework the magazine and feed lips in addition to the barrel change  in order to get the .308 cartridges to feed reliably. The 8mm  is probably .5" longer than the .308 and has a different case taper.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Kimber (of Oregon) did quite a few conversions several years ago of the Mauser rifle into various different cartidges, including the .308.

I picked up one chambered in .22-250 and it's a smooth running rifle.  Stainless fluted barrel and just excellent shape.

Might look for one of these...
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Well along a diferent tack, how accurate is the average surplus Yugo Mauser? Assuming you can find an example without pitting or excessive wear in the bore? Might be worth just getting a reloading setup for 8mm (and cheaper than conversion in the big picture).
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I like playing with the old mausers. I'm not a gunsmith but a tinkerer. I have done 2 so far with the help of gunsmiths. My first was a Turkisk mauser to .308 and the second an Isreali .308. I used Parker Hale take off barrels from Sarco. I had to get the barrel rethreaded for the turkisk(small ring) Had the bolts bent and Luepold mounts added and the chamber length/headspace set by local gunsmiths. built custom stocks from surplus stock $20.00 on the turk and an advanced technology steyr look a like on the Isreali, modified to my liking(got rid of the top piece).

I had to do a little filing to get the turk to feed decent. I bedded and floated both rifles myself. both have scopes ,Tasco. one a pawnshop special 3x9 the other a mildot 2.5x10. I built both rifles for under $500 each. A new 700 is more with out the scope.

Both rifles have shot 1 moa on surplus ammo but they generaly average 2 in or more on surplus. I need to try reloading. my buddy loaded me some  and they shot close to 1moa.

If you like to tinker you can build an old mauser to get real close to the700s for less money.

I enjoy my mideast conflict, the Muslim(turkish) the jew(Isreali)
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#19]
La Coruna made some K98s in .308, there are also Israeli K98ks in .308 that can be found once in a while.  Steyrs were re-chambered in South America to .308, I forgot from which calibre(7.65 Arg?).
If you want the military style barrel, you are much better off to just search for an Israeli K98k.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#20]
DR_

Charles Daly makes rofles on yugo mauser actions with a turned down bolt for about $300 in just about any standard caliber. We sell them all the time at the shop I work at.  Theyre great guns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
DR_

Charles Daly makes rofles on yugo mauser actions with a turned down bolt for about $300 in just about any standard caliber. We sell them all the time at the shop I work at.  Theyre great guns.

Are they good quality? I have been less than impressed with the Charle Daly 1911 I tried, that did not do well at all. Where do they sell these?
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Why?
S&B is offering new 8mm ammunition and 8mm is cheaper than .308 right now.

I used to own an Ishapore SMLE in .308, what a great rifle, a real tackdriver.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#23]
+1 on the Ishapore .308 Enfield, I glass bedded mine (more like glued the damn thing together, my first ever attempt at smithing) but hot damn does she shoot. She can run nose to nose with my N.M. M1a out to 200 yds before the superior sights of the M1a leave it in the dust.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DR_

Are they good quality? I have been less than impressed with the Charle Daly 1911 I tried, that did not do well at all. Where do they sell these?

Gunbroker has several from $302 on up...I took a quick look, and saw a .270 and a .30-06 for that price.  How badly could they screw it up, I wonder?  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
 How badly could they screw it up, I wonder?  

I always thought that until I bought 2 century CETMEs, thinking I should get at least one that was right.

I was wrong.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Put a 308 or 30-06 barrel on it.

Brownells.com sells new production barrels by Wilson that match the military stepped contour.
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16633&title=98+MAUSER+BARRELS

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:30:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I have buit dozens of custom Mausers for customers through the years.  The Yugo Mauser is an "intermediate" length action.  The hole spacing for the trigger guard is different, thus aftermarket stocks are a problem.  It also requires the face of the bbl to be milled out to accept the extractor, unlike the other Mausers.

I built a custom 30-06 for myself on an old Turk action, and I turned the profile of the bbl to the original specs.  That way I was able to re-attach the original sights, bbl bands, and top handguard.  The barrel is floated though, which wasn't an easy trick!

I imagine a gunsmith would charge around $250-$350 plus the cost of the bbl for a job like the one you want.  If I were not so busy, I would do the job myself.

Balming
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 How badly could they screw it up, I wonder?  

I always thought that until I bought 2 century CETMEs, thinking I should get at least one that was right.

I was wrong.

Century Cetmes are indeed POS.  I share your pain. Mine shoots 4" high and right after all the adjustment I can do, and the receiver is a little weird too...my damn B Square mount doesn't fit it.  Oh well, lesson learned.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#29]

That way I was able to re-attach the original sights, bbl bands, and top handguard. The barrel is floated though, which wasn't an easy trick!

How do you float the barrel and retain the barrel bands?

I bedded my K98 receiver and the end of the barrel into its original stock (as per Jerry Kuhnhausen's Mauser book.) I also shimmed the top guard off of the barrel so that it fit tight against the stock and barrel bands but did not touch the barrel. I then added Acraglass around the shims to make a permanent shim. (The guard is still removable since the Acraglass is stuck to the top guard but not the stock.)

One of the best improvements that I made to my 98 was to file the rear sight notch out square and replace the V front sight with a square one from Brownells.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know about the Mauser M-48 or K-98, never really sent anytime looking at them.

I did have a SA 1903 rebarreled to .308 and it can get pricy.

I wanted the original straight finger grooved stock and a Lyman #57 rear peep sight installed as well completely refinish all metal to match.

I believe I Clayton Smith installed a Wilson barrel, had the replace the rear site collar as it wan't coming off in one piece, cut the follower and custom fab a pillar inside the magazine simalar to the Garand Magazine block.

The block was needed to keep the follower from nose diving forward when chambering a round. Later I had the JB Weld the follower spring to the floor plate as the spring kept popping out.

I had Clayton check to see if he could find a barrel for a K-98 and he didn't have any luck at the time so I let it go.

The 1903 with mil surp ammo will do about 1.25-2 inch at 100 yards.

Karsten
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top