Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2005 12:12:03 PM EDT
I've been wanting to get one of the Romanian AK's for a while now. The newer ones are the "non-neutered" variety with the bayonet lug and slant compensator, and that's what I'm looking at.

Trouble is, I'd have to sell my Russian SKS (1950 Tula) to finance it, and I'm not sure that I'd want to go that route. But I'd like to get the AK. Could probably get $250-275 for the Russian.

Keep the SKS or sell?
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
keep the SKS
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
keep the SKS

yup!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
keep the SKS

+1
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
if you sell a soviet SKS for a romanian wasr-10 rifle you'll hate yourself for the rest of your life.  I would highly reccomend buying an AK kit, and finding someone around you to help you build it with all the evil features and for less money than a WASR-10.  

check on Arizonashooting.com for arizona AK builders
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep the SKS!
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both (except my SKS is a yugoslavian), and I must admit, the SKS never gets fired anymore ever since I got an AK (an SAR-1). The AK is just so much more fun and a better overall rifle. The thing about your Russian SKS is that it is more expensive/rarer (and probably just all-around more quality) than a WASR-10.

SAR-1's, however, are getting pretty rare nowdays (used to be pages of 'em on Gunbroker a year or two ago, now you're lucky to find one single SAR-1 every now and then). Still, if you want to trade, I'd consider it
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on what you want. If you value collectable profile, then the Russian is obviousley a keeper. If not, i'de take the Romanian AK any day.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 12:55:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
keep the SKS

+1

+2

cant get anymore ruskies SKSs, but rommy AKs are everywhere!

Link Posted: 7/4/2005 5:03:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Funny that you should mention that, but I went through a similar experience - I had a nice Russian SKS, and then bought a SAR-1 before AIM ran out of them... Long story short, I still have the SAR-1, but sold the SKS - I DID get a decent buck for the SKS, though - more than I paid for it, actually... My SAR-1 is nearly as accurate, has been 100% reliable through several thousand rounds(probably about 5k), and will run with ANY mag I put in it - besides being light, short, and quick handling - can't say any of those things about the SKS... Personally, I'd sell the Russian SKS, buy a Romanian AK and some mags, and replace the SKS with a Yugo SKS - then you'd have the best of both worlds, and both sharing the same caliber...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a soviet SKS and an SAR1. I wouldnt trade my SKS for a SAR1. The quality of the soviet SKS is superior to the SAR1. I shoot them both the same, just depends on what mood I am in.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
CommoMan's rule of thumb/law of firearms acquisition:

Keep what you have!

Corollary:

Save for what you want or sell something besides a firearm.

I will not bore you with the sad stories that led me to this conclusion.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
never sell a russian SKS unless it is to me of course
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a soviet SKS and an SAR1. I wouldnt trade my SKS for a SAR1. The quality of the soviet SKS is superior to the SAR1. I shoot them both the same, just depends on what mood I am in.

Well, I would - and basically did... Let me see if I've got what you're saying straight: you shoot both the same, but don't see the advantages of the AK being shorter, lighter, and having TONS of reliable magazines available for it??? Now, any idea what the magazine situation for the SKS is??? I'll tell you - fixed 10 round box and stripper clips - or hope you get a decent SKS mag(which are few and far between)... No brainer, IMO - after all, why do you think the AK replaced the SKS???

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Having a Chinese SKS I bought for $100 years and years ago, it's not worth selling. $100 isn't going to get me the next gun (whatever it is). I like to think of my SKS as being priceless (or worthless) it shoots great but hasn't been shot in years and basically keeps my safe from falling over.

I'd rather have an AK. Right now I have 3 AK's that get shot way more often than that SKS. Would I buy another SKS? Heck no, 1 is enough for me. Would I pay $250 for a Russian? No my Chi-com paratrooper shoots just as good and I'm sure those $69 beater Yugo's do too.

If you are tired of the SKS sell it. Or go put a Romanian on lay-a-way and pay it off slowly. I find most shops in my area will layaway for 30 to 60 days.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Russian SKS (1954 Tula) and a SAR-1. I like them both, I shoot them both. The Tula has a milled receiver and chrome-barrel. It is acceptably accurate out to 100 yards. It functions flawlessly and has some collector value attached to it.

I like my SAR-1 and it shoots just fine, but there is little craftsmanship in it's finish. The front sights are a little canted, but the sight post is moved all the way to the left and it shoots fine. The wood has a heavy coating of shellac that is gooped up in spots where it was applied too thick but what the heck: we're talking about a gun built like a Ford Truck! The notorious "trigger-slap" was present when I first got the gun, and boy did you feel it at the end of the day; my trigger finger would be numb for days! Of course that was easily fixed by grinding material off of the disconnector, but the best remedy is to just go ahead and install a Red Star trigger. After going through a few hundred rounds the screws that hold the furniture to the receiver loosen up and the stock and pistol grip wiggle a little. I just tighten the screws and keep on shooting.

I like both guns, but if I had to choose between the two I would go with the SAR-1 only because of the pistol grip and detachable mags.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#16]
keep the sks and save up for ak
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Keep the SKS.

However, if you insist on selling it, I'll
buy it. Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:56:12 AM EDT
[#18]
keep your sks,..i have the exact same "non-netured" ak your talking about,..i like it very very much,.but i would not sell a sks to pay for it,...thats like selling your car to buy tires for it.

save up buy the ak,. there pretty fun and you can beat the crapola out of it
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 on keeping the SKS.

I don't have a Russian SKS but I have a Yugo and Chinese as well as a Romanian AK (SAR-1). I like the AK a lot, but I think you'd be happier down the road if you kept the SKS and saved up for the AK.

Just my opinion.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#20]
KEEP THE SKS!!!!

Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep the Russian SKS
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Buy both
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Sell the SKS, but buy a better AK than a WASR. At least get a SAR-1.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I would - and basically did... Let me see if I've got what you're saying straight: you shoot both the same, but don't see the advantages of the AK being shorter, lighter, and having TONS of reliable magazines available for it??? Now, any idea what the magazine situation for the SKS is??? I'll tell you - fixed 10 round box and stripper clips - or hope you get a decent SKS mag(which are few and far between)... No brainer, IMO - after all, why do you think the AK replaced the SKS???

- georgestrings

Uh, it didn't.  There were made independently of one another.  The german rifle that the AK was copied from was in service inlimited numbers at the end of WW2.  The SKS came along a little later.  

Your SKS is a fine fine rifle and you'd be crazy to give it up.  I'm looking for one myself.  They are very hard to come by.  Giving up any reliable weapon is not advisable, especially a tula sks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top