Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2005 5:03:22 PM EDT
I don't know how to do an edit to my first post so I will just add this on top.
I must say, "that f'n gun can shoot better'n me!"
I had some old LC ball kickin' round and some cheap Korean shit.  I'll be damned if'n that rifle didn't swallow it all!

I just went to the range to "function test" the finished product but one thing lead to another.
The sights are amazing.  Rarely have i been impressed with iron sights, but this was TOO EASY to shoot.
I was shooting clay pigeons, that i picked up off'n the trap field, and set them up on the berm at 100 yards.  After some adjustment, I was knockin' 'em out easily. Granted, i was shooting off my rest, but that is just awesome! (like %50)
Then I set some out on the 200 yard berm.  I was hittin' 'bout %30.  I broke three in a row, then missed six in a row. Then broke two, then missed four.  Came close, though, even when i missed.  Certainly minute-of-whitetail close.
Call me a Happy Camper, but for my money, that's the best 4 bills i ever spent.

I recently "adopted" a '43 Remington and i think i may have messed up.

I took my time cleaning the cosmo out of the stock, ironed out the smaller dents and left the rest to tell the story of a rough youth. I whiskered it out with a heat gun.  Twice, 'cuz a close shave always improves ones' appearance.
I went slow because i know 62-year-olds need more careful attention than 16-year-olds. In the process I couldn't help noticing that this stock has terrific grain with a few stragically placed knots of a small and pleasing appearance, that, instead of detracting from the overall beauty, added a nice touch of humanity.  The Armourers' cartouches are clearly visible and add a reminder of history and workmanship, clearly a mark of a better day, like tattoos on an aging Marine (never an "ex-marine").
I stained the cleaned/prepared stock with a real nice dark walnut thinned to allow deeper penetration.  All was going good, according to plan, as i contemplated how to seal everything up and finish that leg of the job.  
I chose Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil.  I've had good results with it before.
The first two coats went on nicely, dried good, and buffed up terrifically (is that a word?) with OOO steel wool.

Here is the dilema:  the last two coats have given the stock a shiny finish unbecoming of a battle rifle.

Oh, it looks lovely like a custom high-dollar cushy "hunting" rifle that never saw the rain or snow or any of the baser elements of mankind.  I am sorry to say: it looks like a carpet-bagger in a whorehouse and not what it was meant to be: A hard fightin' wallow in da' mud 'r jungle kick yer' ass mudda' fukka.  
More poodle, less bull-dog.

The only consolation i can offer this old soldier is, "You have served well and honorably. And now in your twilight years, as a memorial to that service, I have given you what help and/or ressurection that these poor hands can.  If it be a tad overblown, than so be it, in my eyes you will always be perfect."

Oh, and, I will never use Tru Oil on a battle rifle again.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
it might not be a total screw up, maybe you can take off tru-oil off it..........when I did my M1 and 03A3 I went  "old school" as they say, and used boiled linseed oil. BLO has been around for ages and ages and does the job to preserve and protect wood..........I'm not all convinced that these commercial "wonder" finishes are any better, then the old tried and true method. espeically when it comes to old military rifle finsishes.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Just use some "varnish remover" available at home depot.  then redo with Tung Oil.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Get Birchwood casey's stock sheen. It dulls the tru-oil up nicely for a matte finish. You did ok tru-oil get a hell of a gloss after so many coats just put on the Birchwood and dull it up.

Let me know how it turns out.

Shawn
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have never used the Tru Oil stuff but have had good luck with MinWax Tung Oil. After a couple coats of Tung Oil has been applied and dried and 0000 Steel Wooled I wipe on a couple more coats and buff it off in about 5 minutes.

Later I have a mixture of stain, BLO and Johnson's paste wax I apply a couple 3 times a years too all my wood stocks. It takes a day or so to dry but when buffed leaves a nice rich lower luster satin finish and a nice feel to the wood.

This is may 1903 with a straight finger groove stock

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4289133517&idx=3

My M1 Garand

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4290184299&idx=2

My SA M1A

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4290586437&idx=20

All were refinished the same way.

Karsten
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:55:37 AM EDT
[#7]
as far as the finish goes

STOP!!!!

YOU HAVEN'T SCREWED IT UP!!!!!!!!  You have a nice prep for what you can do next!!!

From Brownell's order a substance called Rottenstone.  Go to hardware store and grab some 0000    OR   00000 ( that's five-aught ) steel wool.  Take a wee bit of the rottenstone and apply it to the steel wool and SOFTLY rub the entire piece down.  This will "cut" the shine substantially.  The surface will become a soft gray color due to the fine "scratching" you have put on the surface of the finish.  Rub the stock down in this fashion until it is a consistent finish.  This may take about an hour....be gentle.

Now wipe the stock down with a clean rag and get all of the steel wool whiskers off of the stock.  Use a brush if necessary....it useually is.  Wipe down again with a damp rag and pick up any remaining lint, Rottensone dust, etc.

Now with a DRY soft cloth or a pice of sponge foam ( like the kind found in gun cases ) rub the stcok with MORE Rottenstone.  Just dip the DRY rag or foam into the Rottenstone and rub down the stock again.  All you need is to put a bit of powder on the rag from time to time. One you get a new, darker, more consistent finish, then buff it down to a low luster. This is best acccomplished with a rag, of course.  Once you have a consistent finish wipe down again with damp rags and clean off the Rottenstone.

Get a clean rag and a bit of linseed oil.  Put just barely a dash of Rottenstone into the linseed oil and "finish" the stock just like you were shining a pair of boots.  Feel free to buff again with a bit of Rottenstone an linseed oil.  Wipe clean and dry with clean rags.

OKAY, last run.  With a bit more linseed on a new clean rag.  Give the stock just a VERY FINE rubdown with an oiled rag.  This will take off any remaining Rottenstone.  Wipe to a clean, nearly dry finish and then set the stock up for a night or two in a warm, clean room.

This will give your stock a VERY solid, protective, yet very atttractive finish.  Not flashy, but VERY smooth, polished and clean.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#8]
See above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top