Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 12:42:11 AM EDT
I recently received a "US Calvary" magazine in the mail. Catalog selling all sorts of military and law enforcement equipment. Everything is marketed as far as legal for civilian sales, over 18, 21, ground only, no export so forth.

Interestingly enough, all the "amour", riot shields and helmets (except PASGT). I started wondering if it was illegal for civilians to own body amour. I looked at a few websites that sell the stuff; sure enough they won't sell to civilians.

So is personal body amour illegal? If so, why?

Another interesting thing about US Cavalry (www.uscav.com), all their optics (including binoculars) are military/LE only.

If anyone can enlighten me, please do.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Bullet proof vests and body armour are "legal" for civies to own.

HOWEVER, use of "ANY" type of of bullet proof vest or body armour during the comission of a crime ups the ante and charges severly IIRC.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#2]
No you can own body armor, as long as it isnt stolen.

FREE
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:17:32 AM EDT
[#3]
How do you know if it's stolen? I ask because I see a lot of Interceptor for sale and I don't think US Govt would shell them to civilians..
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:01:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How do you know if it's stolen?

Guys in ill-fitting suits will knock on your door.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How do you know if it's stolen?

Guys in ill-fitting suits will knock on your door.

Highly doubt they'll be flying to Italy to knock on his...........

Mike
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
guys like this?

I found this but I didn't read the whole article
Interceptor Controversy
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#7]
With few exceptions, it is legal for non-felons to own personal body armor.  In my experience, US Cavalry won't sell anything but cheap t-shirts and plastic AA battery flashlights to anyone but LE.  That's company policy, it's just more of a super-CYA stance.  They'd hate to see a pair of quality binoculars fall into the wrong hands (i.e. anyone non-LE) and God forbid a lowly civilian gets a hold of a nice pair of boots... oh the horror!  

The Point Blank Interceptor issue has to do with the armor being possibly stolen rather than whether armor itself is legal to own.  The general consensus is that not all PB Interceptor vests are stolen US military property, but there are enough of them that the DOD is considering all of them stolen so unless you want to go toe to toe with the feds in court over a $400 vest, avoid those vests.    

Body armor is a defensive tool, it has little to no offensive capabilities.  Well, maybe some of the older, heavier vests would hurt a bit if you got one whacked across your head, but it's silly to restrict them.  Just the other day I was in a local gun shop, one that will happily sell you an AR, AK, Glock, .50 BMG, etc. with as many magazines as you can afford, plus a few thousand rounds of ammunition as long as your cash is green, but don't even ask about the level IIA Kevlar vest they have on display.  That is too dangerous for civilians to possess, they would never think of selling it to anyone but a cop.  Pretty silly IMO.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]
That is exactly my thinking. You would think the Brady-Bunch would have been handing out vests to everyone back in September because the world was going to end, the AWB was over and we need vests and helmets just to go out side.

I can understand the logic in that why would a civilian NEED a ceramic vest that wieghs 15lbs is bulky a whatever unless its for "evil". However by that same token, why would I need a 273hp, AWD, 0-60 in 4.4 seconds Evolution MR, unless its to do "evil" (speed).

Also, the argument that if a criminal has a vest police won't be able to stop his is retarded. Its stupid in my opinion to run a police force that relies on people obeying the laws to enforce the laws. Police should simply keep on hand a few M14s, M16s or MP5s. Anyone of which will ruin someones day, armoured or not.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I found this but I didn't read the whole article
Interceptor Controversy

Simply put, Ebay seriously sucks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#10]
IIRC Each state and city have thier own laws regarding possesion of body armor.  Many states outlaw it if you are a convicted felon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#11]
If the plates have US property its obviously stolen.

Also if its an Interceter vest email Point blank to confirm its status. You might run into some issues as Im not sure if you can import them or not.

FREE

Quoted:
How do you know if it's stolen? I ask because I see a lot of Interceptor for sale and I don't think US Govt would shell them to civilians..

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]
US plates are not marked US property.

2nd If you keep a gun in your house for home defense you should seriously consider a flash light and a vest that will stop the bullet you are loading
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...  a vest that will stop the bullet you are loading

Huh?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone know of a company that DOES sell to civilians? I have yet to find one.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Galls sells to LE, military, and non-LE.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Anyone know of a company that DOES sell to civilians? I have yet to find one.

The local Police Supply here in Houston sells to civies and cops alike, got one in your town?

Mike
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:09:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...  a vest that will stop the bullet you are loading

Huh?

I think he's saying that crap can happen in the dark and just maybe, when your handgun goes boom, you might not be the one doing the shooting.  If police officers can be killed with their own gun, it can happen to a homeowner, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top