Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2005 6:25:03 PM EDT
just wondering if anyone has tryed it.  thinking of one compared to a semi auto thompson. except for that long barrel
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this the one by Valkyrie Arms?
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#2]
yes, sorry left that out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I didn't like the long barrel either.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

SBR it
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SBR it

I'd have to have it built as a pistol.
Now this on the other hand...
...I'd probably still have to register as a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Those things are kinda pricy aren't they?
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Those things are kinda pricy aren't they?

$750 is less than what my .45ACP GG conversion AR is going to cost when all is said and done.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw one at a local show.........for that much money, it didn't strike me as being worth it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 2:14:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought the grease gun was supposed to be easy and real cheap to make?
Link Posted: 5/9/2005 2:17:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It is when you build it out of stampings and it fires full auto from an open bolt.
This is a semi auto reproduction with a machined receiver that fires from a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw one at the gun show that was at pontiac stadium and they wanted 10 grand for it(thats right  $10,000).  It looked terrible, the welds looked like a beginner did them.  I just can't believe someone would pay that much for such a thing
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I saw one at the gun show that was at pontiac stadium and they wanted 10 grand for it(thats right  $10,000).  It looked terrible, the welds looked like a beginner did them.  I just can't believe someone would pay that much for such a thing

The M3 SMG as made by Guide Lamp wasn't exactly the pinnacle of the gunmaker's craft.

There's a reason not too many transferables are out there...nobody wanted to bring them home.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is when you build it out of stampings and it fires full auto from an open bolt.
This is a semi auto reproduction with a machined receiver that fires from a closed bolt.

And there's certain economies of scale when you're mass producing them by the tens of  thousands as opposed to making a few dozen at a time.  Time value of money is also a factor; a  few dollars went much further in the early 1940's than it does now.

BTW - if the one for $10k was a transferable C&R gun, thats a good buy by today's standards.  M3/M3A1 are much more rare than Thompsons and even a transferable non-C&R West Hurley Thompson will run about $12k-14k.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I was a tank gunner in Vietnam in 69-70, we traded guns all the time. I picked up a M3 in a deal with a South Vietnamese policeman, they loved Salems, and was not impressed with it at all. It was heavy, the magazines were heavy, the sights were really bad. You cocked it by flipping up the bolt cover which was also the safety, stuck your finger in ia hole in the bolt and pulled it to the rear. Range was very limited. Rate of fire was moderate, was easy to fire but was strictly a point and shoot gun. I kept it about a month and traded it for a shotgun.

rk
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was a tank gunner in Vietnam in 69-70, we traded guns all the time. I picked up a M3 in a deal with a South Vietnamese policeman, they loved Salems, and was not impressed with it at all. It was heavy, the magazines were heavy, the sights were really bad. You cocked it by flipping up the bolt cover which was also the safety, stuck your finger in ia hole in the bolt and pulled it to the rear. Range was very limited. Rate of fire was moderate, was easy to fire but was strictly a point and shoot gun. I kept it about a month and traded it for a shotgun.

rk

I was buying GG mags at a funshow for my CAV MKII build. My dad said he never shot one, but did pick one up, and it was heavy. I believe it. The mags themselves are heavy enough, and add 30rds of .45ACP. YEESH.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It was.................. in 1942.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#18]
The grease gun was ultra cheap to make and only took about two minutes to produce.  I would love to see a more modern version say milled receiver with a brake and better trigger.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I fired both the M3 and M3A1 Grease guns in the Army as we carried Two on board our M60A3 MBT's One for the driver and one for the loader. Never saw one fire a full magazine without at least one stoppage. low rate of fire (450RPM) and very crude sights. only way to hit shit is firing a 3 rd burst like a shotgun pattern.  Fun range toy if it's on Uncle Sugar's dime, but better fun out there if it's your's. We always joked about grabin the M240 coax MG and a few cans of ammo if we had to bail out of the vehicle. that's how little faith anyone had in the Grease Guns. I would never spent $750 for a semi civilian version with a long ass barrel. and would certainly not waste the time and $200 to SBR it either......
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I would not mind one of thier Stens, A grease gun would be cool too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#21]
when my old unit De-Comm'd i was on the working party assigned cataloging the contents of the armory to be turned in. we found 5 BRAND NEW M3s in the box, with 9mm conversion kits and magazines. taded 1944....this was in 1999
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Man, it would'a been nice if they could'a "fallen off'a the back'a the truck."
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The M3 SMG as made by Guide Lamp wasn't exactly the pinnacle of the gunmaker's craft.

There's a reason not too many transferables are out there...nobody wanted to bring them home.

Do you know if GI's still had to pay the $200 tax to register them?  I can't imagine a lot of WWII vets having that kind of cash laying around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top