Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2005 10:40:54 PM EDT
I sprayed my AK with Gray Park Alumahyde a while back but now I want to change it up. What is the best way to remove AH2?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
i accidentally sprayed an alumahyde coated shotgun barrel with liquid wrench.
It just eats it off.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#3]
brake parts cleaner or any strong solvent.

I picked up a can of orange colored "metal stripper" from Wal Mart. specifically made ot tkae off layers of caked on paint and crud.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Carb Cleaner, Dry Cleaning Solvent and or an Aviation Parts Washer.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I painted one of my AK's with it a couple of years ago and the painted over it with Testors model paints for a cammie job. Decided later I didnt want the cammie job anymore and stripped it with Gunscrubber  and all the Testors came off, no sweat. The Gunscrubber didnt even phase the Aluma Hyde and its still on there. Its pretty tough stuff. I dont think regular gun solvents are going to get it off to easily. I always figured I'd have to glass bead it if I wanted to get it off, or at least all of it off so that I could apply another finish.  The hard part when you strip paint off a gun is getting it all off completely, from all the nooks and crannies.  Testors is pretty easy, but does require some effort and time.  

hk940,
did  you strip the rest of the barrel with the liquid wrench, and if so, did it take it all off, or just parts of it? It would be nice to know if something can and will remove it totally without to much effort.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top