Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 6:12:16 PM EDT
A friend of mine has a bolt action rifle and when the trigger is pulled it takes a few seconds for the rifle to discharge.  My thoughts are it's the ammo could it be anything else?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
It could well be a hangfire.  I would keep it pointed downrange for at least 30 seconds.  Some of these don't go off at all.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
A friend of mine has a bolt action rifle and when the trigger is pulled it takes a few seconds for the rifle to discharge.  My thoughts are it's the ammo could it be anything else?

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of rifle and ammo?

Sounds like a hangfire to me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Rust in the firing pin channel?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Time warp. I'd shoot it some place else where the time-space continuum isn't going to slow down time like that.

You gotta be careful with super gravity.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Every once in awhile, you gotta clean those things - a little oil doesn't hurt sometimes, either...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:09:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I gave it a good cleaning and it hasn't malfunctioned again, so I suppose that is what it was.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]
If the ammo is good then it is the rifle. It is probably a REM 700 and has coagulated greese in trigger housing and bolt. I would take it a out of stock and clean - spray small amount of brake cleaner first and then CLP in trigger group (CLP several time) and take bolt apart and clean firing pin and channel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top