Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2005 6:32:46 AM EDT
I'm working on a 03A3 and trying to save the stock.  It's pretty rough, lots of dents.  What is the procedure for raising the dents?  I know it has something to do with an iron but that's about it.  

Anyone know?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:40:47 AM EDT
[#1]
You put a really wet towel on the stock at the dent and then iron the towel while its on the stock.  The steam will make the stock swell and raise that area.  Do it slowly.  You will have to sand the area when done.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
That sounds easy enough, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Toss it in the dishwasher. It works like a charm.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Sparky- I don't have a dishwasher!

I don't think the stock is all that special.  It has an "L" on the toe of the stock and the sn stamped on the side of the butt stock.  Those are the only two external marks I can find, there are several other marks in the barrel channel.  I'm hoping to avoid having to stain the stock, I've just been using stripper to pull out the oil and gunk.  I hope tung oil will be good enough for a finish.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You will want to remove the finish first, so as to allow the water/steam an easier time of it to penetrate the wood and do its thing.

Plan on steel wooling/sanding the stock if you have a lot of dents, and probably staining the stock.

If you have a stock with uncommon and/or very sharp cartouches, maybe better just clean and oil the stock.

This is the best idea.  I was able to raise the dents on my Garand stock, then lightly sand it so the whole surface was even without really sanding much.  These old Garand stocks can really be beautiful when refinished.  I'd be the O3a3 can be just as nice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help guys.  I had a planning meeting for our FNRA dinner last night but while I was at that my wonderful wife worked on the stock.  The steam trick worked wonders on the dents, the gouges it obviously didn't help any.  This rifle has seen a lot of hard use, losts of deep recoil gouges on the underside and left side of the forearm.  Now I think one more coat of stripper to pull the oil out of the newly raised dents, some bronze wool to smooth things up and numerous coats of tung oil and we'll be good to go.  

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I've removed the buttplate and driled holes to get drill shavings which I then put in a blender to make into sawdust which I mixed with clear epoxy. These match.

rk
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
 There are few things more satisfying that returning an old stock from death's door.  Stcok work has always been one of my favorite parts of restoration....except for fully bedding M1 Garands.....that's just agonizing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top