Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2005 2:39:18 PM EDT
 Well, I got a chance to run about sixty rounds through a buddy's BM10 today and I thought I'd post a few quick impressions.  I have always liked the AR10 idea but have been very disappointed with the Armalite version due to the fact that some run and some don't.  Mine didn't despite repeated returns to the factory...and I have seen several others that didn't run also.  This issue has always appeared to deal largely with the lackluster magazine design though my AR10 and a few others have had SERIOUS chambering and extraction difficulties.  The most disappointing apsect of this issue was that EVERY Armalite I have ever fire is deadly accurate.  Seriously, the AR 10 has to be one of, if not, the most accurate autoloaing rifle I have ever used.  It is extremely frustrating to have a sub moa auto loader that you have to spend more time working on than shooting, expecially when it's so damned accurate.  Considering the troubles I had with Armalite and other issues I have seen I abandoned the AR10 concept.

Enter the Busmaster .308 Auto.  Despite the fact that the very early guns had the UGLIEST muzzle brakes known to man on them, I really liked the idea of "big" bore AR concept that used easily available unmodified FAL style mags.  Another feature I liked was the addition of the forward assist.  Now, I certainly don't want to turn this into a Forward Assist argument....so let's just say I am of the mindset that the Forward Assist IS a necessary feature for a standard AR rifle.

Despite the apparent plusses of the Bushmaster I was still VERY sceptical of the modern AR-10 type gun working even mediocrely, if at all.....and GOD THAT AK BRAKE  SURE WAS HOMELY.

As luck would have it, a good friend of mine has recently acquired a BM 10 in the 000XX range....an early gun.  It sports a phantom style muzzle brake ( much better looking to say the least ), an ACE style tube stock and Springfield Armory optics with a Government reticle.  This early gun had the original two set screw, attached gas block but due to cycling issues it was sent back to the factory and promptly returned with the newer three screw setup and what appears to be an additional roll pin at the top of the block.  There have been no further issues with the gun.  From what I understand the additon of the threee screw block has alleviated the only serious field issue of the gun that I have heard of at this early time.

So, how did it shoot?  Awesome.  I used Aussie 7.62 Mil Surp ammo and a standard FAL mag for my test.   The Springfield Reticle was very easy to use at varying ranges and I never failed to engage any of our 200 or 300 yard gongs at the local range.  The trigger is a bit creepy like an average AR, but this being a new gun it should smooth out over time.  Nonetheless the trigger broke at the same point every time and was hardly an issue for my brief test.  Had I been shooting for groups I definitely would have smoothed up the engagement surfaces just a tad to accelerate break in.
 The ACE stock is cushy and comfortable but I would have much preferred the standard A2 style stock.  My friend had his eye relief set back a bit too far for my tastes but were it my gun it would have been setup for me.  Of course I would have been using a Leupold....but it wasn't my gun so I shan't bitch too much.
 The FAL styled bolt lock takes a bit of getting used to but you FAL guys or guy who have the new mag well styles on their Robinson M96's will have little trouble adjusting.  It is positive, smooth and easy to operate.
 Operation was FLAWLESS, it was so nice to run an AR10 style gun without having to worry about it malfunctioning...and indeed I was VERY nervous that it would.  Recoil on the BM 10 is a JOKE....this gun shoots soft like the Armalite and is absolutely a pleasure to shoot.
 A quick anecdote on the shootabilty of the BM10.  There happened to be a very nice, young lady from England at the range today who,after watching my friend run the BM10, enquired if she could try a few rounds.  He sat her down behind the weapon and gave her a few quick pointers and she was engaging the targets across the range nearly as well as any of us.  This is a girl who has never, to my knowledge, fired a gun in her life.  She also took extremely well to my Bushie Superlite bastard gun that I've been building up recently.

I give the BM 10 a serious thumbs up on qualtiy of manufacture, ease of operation, reliability, field grade accuracy and also good customer service is upgrading my buddies gun about as quickly as humanly possible.  When and if I get a chance I will try the Bushie on paper to see how it groups out.

I know this........................I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THESE!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd love for you to get your hands on the Bushie for more time and really give us a good solid "review".....

This is a good start.

Also, somebody needs to be beating them about the prices......
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Shit, ALL the guns/optics I buy these days are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I long for the days when a cheap .22 and a Tasco scope made me happy
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit, ALL the guns/optics I buy these days are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I long for the days when a cheap .22 and a Tasco scope made me happy

Ain't it the truth!

By the way, the Bushie as reviewed ran almost 1500 smackers before optics.  Pricey....but with the option of a PLETHORA of 5 to 10 dollar FAL mags out there....it sorta makes up for it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd love for you to get your hands on the Bushie for more time and really give us a good solid "review".....

This is a good start.

I agree....I feel bad that I was doing more entertaining than shooting the BM 10....however I had a very good time entertaining folks who don't have the option of going to the range at their whim or getting to use the cool stuff that we do.....I will try to get the BM out again and run some accuracy tests.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that the ban is over, they need to start putting flash hiders on them!  

I wouldn't mind seeing them make a Sudan model like Armalite's Ar-10b either.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Im pretty happy with my BAR-10. I think these guns will do very well in the market.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#8]
 I know they will do well once the word is out...I am sure they are doing well right now.  I know I'll be picking one up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I purchsed a BAR-10 w/16" barrell,A2, I put a Leupold VariX III, 2 1/2 x 5 scope on an Armalite one piece scope mount. I also installed a Rock River two stage trigger and an ambi safety. I have twenty new FAl metric mags. I have fired about 500 rounds of various surplus and match ammo and the rifle runs like a sewing machine and the groups are awesome.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Excellent news. Like the thread author, the Armalite guns have always scared me with their reliability issues.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Excellent news. Like the thread author, the Armalite guns have always scared me with their reliability issues.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:38:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Shot a few mags through one.

I liked the way the mags goes straight in (as opposed to the way mags go in the Fal)

Very little recoil

I liked the ambi mag release

Loud as hell.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One thing that I admit we must wait for is the NUMBERS.  I'd like to see more users with the same results that my buddy and I have had.  It won't be perfect....obviously Bushie did have trouble with the front gas blocks on the first guns....but as time goes on I would like to see if any other issues pop up and if they are as easily remedied.

Only time will tell.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Loud as hell.

Agreed....
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Loud as hell.

Agreed....

try a post ban  AR10T with the Armalite vented muzzle break....THAT'S LOUD.....but NOT louder than a State Arms 50. BMG with an 18 inch barrel......trust me....
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Loud as hell.

Agreed....

try a post ban  AR10T with the Armalite vented muzzle break....THAT'S LOUD.....but NOT louder than a State Arms 50. BMG with an 18 inch barrel......trust me....

Been there done that....the FMJunkie's AR10 Carbine with brake is a little louder than his Bushie Ar15 with Mini Y Comp....

The Bushie .308 is a little less loud than any of those mentioned....
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Loud as hell.

Agreed....

WHAT??

Another VA board member here cut his 50BMG to 19".  That was a little loud.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have 885 rounds through my BAR-10A2.  I made posts early on in the life of the rifle and got challenged on my observations.  I promised not make another detailed post concerning problems, pluses and minuses until firing 1000 rounds.  It should be in the near future if the temperature remains above 32 degrees.   I should have good detailed information for you before desertmoon gets to that point.    
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 885 rounds through my BAR-10A2.  I made posts early on in the life of the rifle and got challenged on my observations.  I promised not make another detailed post concerning problems, pluses and minuses until firing 1000 rounds.  It should be in the near future if the temperature remains above 32 degrees.   I should have good detailed information for you before desertmoon gets to that point.    

Excellent!!!  It's gonna take me a month of Sundays before I ever get out of this overtime crap at work....I'm doin' six and seven days again!!!  It sucks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Man, I have to stop reading these posts. I know I will get one of these eventually but every time I read posts about the Bushie .308s, I get a little more anxoius to get one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top