Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2005 6:00:36 PM EDT

I just read that airsoft guns are currently illegal in NY City, Washington D.C. and Michigan. What the hell.   There also illegal in Singapore, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Germany, and, Australia.  Wow. Australia really sucks, banned firearms (Can they still have bolties?), drive on the left hand side of the road and they can't even own plastic toy bb guns. This whole anti-gun thing is out of control, I can understand banning Automatic weapons, hell  I can even  see the "logic" in gun registration, however to ban stupid toy guns that shoot bbs that can't even break the skin is idiotic. Aye.

I like airsoft in the sense it gives those poor slumps overseas the potential to own something resembling of a firearm, however apparently some people in the US feel even airsoft is evil. God help us all.

Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Oooh.. Oohh wait.....Nope, I almost shed a tear....
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Molon Labe....

They can have them when I'm out of 6mm BB's!
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I found an Airsoft 'sig' in my son's room and nearly lost control. This is, sadly, something that in todays society can get you killed. Dead.  Remember when.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, if they are illegal in Mich they're sure a lot of people breaking the law here.   They are sold in every sporting goods store that I've ever walked into.   Hell, they are sold in Meijer and Walmart as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't Napalm113 have airsoft and llive in Michigan?
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I found an Airsoft 'sig' in my son's room and nearly lost control. This is, sadly, something that in todays society can get you killed. Dead.  Remember when.....

It will only get you killed if your doing something that will get you killed. Yes robbing a gas-station with one is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just read that airsoft guns are currently illegal in NY City, Washington D.C. and Michigan. What the hell.   There also illegal in Singapore, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Germany, and, Australia.  Wow. Australia really sucks, banned firearms (Can they still have bolties?), drive on the left hand side of the road and they can't even own plastic toy bb guns. This whole anti-gun thing is out of control, I can understand banning Automatic weapons, hell  I can even  see the "logic" in gun registration, however to ban stupid toy guns that shoot bbs that can't even break the skin is idiotic. Aye.

I like airsoft in the sense it gives those poor slumps overseas the potential to own something resembling of a firearm, however apparently some people in the US feel even airsoft is evil. God help us all.

Really.  Please explain the logic in 'banning' automatic weapons.  How are they more dangerous in the hands of law-abiding citizens?  What is your "logic" in gun registration ie. the government knowing who has what firearms?  We already have registration (which I am completely against) if you count form 4473.

When you give an inch they will take a mile.  It is people like you who got the ball rolling and created the NFA of 1934 and every gun law since then.

I patiently await your answers.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Wow...that's about the most ignorant statement I've seen on the board all day.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#10]
One of the goofy laws in michigan is. If you want to but a pellet pistol and it has a rifled barrel its treated like a firearm. You need a purchase permit and it needs to be registered. I am not sure about the Airsoft thing. I have seen them sold at Meijer and Dunhams.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
One of the goofy laws in michigan is. If you want to but a pellet pistol and it has a rifled barrel its treated like a firearm. You need a purchase permit and it needs to be registered. I am not sure about the Airsoft thing. I have seen them sold at Meijer and Dunhams.

Mind you I'm not talking about the cheap plastic spring pistol toys you get for $20 but the full blown GBB (Gas Blow Back) and AEG (Automatic Electric Gun) series that run $200-1200. I presume this has something to do with no F/A weapons in Michingan.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 1:17:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wow. Australia really sucks, banned firearms (Can they still have bolties?), drive on the left hand side of the road and they can't even own plastic toy bb guns.

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 2:29:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:03:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

In Germany, they are legally considered firearms because they shoot a projectile above some certain energy level. They do fall under the free sale (meaning you can buy without a licence) category though. Since a full auto firearm is not allowed for civilians, full auto airsofts are not allowed either. They do sell them in Germany, but they have been converted to semi auto only.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not a lawyer but as I understand the law in MI they are not banned. BUT...  They are treated the same as a firearm when it comes to such issues as transportation and concealed carry.  The law is written so .177 cal. co2 and air powered firearms are excused from the rules pretaining to "projectile firing things".  .20 cal., .22 cal., and 6mm air or co2 powered guns are not .177 cal. and therefore you must abide by the rules of handguns for tranport and carry.

A young person rabble rousing was charged in Ann Arbor with violating the concealed carry laws last year when he was stopped by the cops carrying an air soft on his person or in the passenger compartment of his car.  Opps, he wasn't bargaining for that!!

Kent
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#16]
YOU"LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT, KID!

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Really.  Please explain the logic in 'banning' automatic weapons.  How are they more dangerous in the hands of law-abiding citizens?  What is your "logic" in gun registration ie. the government knowing who has what firearms?  We already have registration (which I am completely against) if you count form 4473.

When you give an inch they will take a mile.  It is people like you who got the ball rolling and created the NFA of 1934 and every gun law since then.

I patiently await your answers.

Wow!   Who saw this one coming?    Did anyone?   Cause I sure didn't it coming!   Nope, not me!
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Its funny you said theyre illegal in Korea, Korea comes second only to Japan for airsoft production; you should see the drunken airsoft wars that GI's have in the barracks over there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm not a lawyer but as I understand the law in MI they are not banned. BUT...  They are treated the same as a firearm when it comes to such issues as transportation and concealed carry.  The law is written so .177 cal. co2 and air powered firearms are excused from the rules pretaining to "projectile firing things".  .20 cal., .22 cal., and 6mm air or co2 powered guns are not .177 cal. and therefore you must abide by the rules of handguns for tranport and carry.

A young person rabble rousing was charged in Ann Arbor with violating the concealed carry laws last year when he was stopped by the cops carrying an air soft on his person or in the passenger compartment of his car.  Opps, he wasn't bargaining for that!!

Kent

Michigan's definition of a "firearm"
MCL750.22d  a "Firearm" 'means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air. Firearm does not include a smoothbore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring or by gas or air, BB's not exceeding .177 caliber.'

One could read this a couple ways. First that a 6mm plastic BB is not a dangerous projectile and therefore all soft air guns are excluded from regulation.

Second since there is no federal definition that encompasses a soft air gun, there is not federal regulation on them. Therefore, even if Michigan believes a soft air rifle to actually be a firearm, there is no way to prevent someone from buying it because there is no way to regulate individuals from buying or selling guns except handguns.

If one followed the logic of Michigan's definition, then all soft air guns are firearms. All fully auto soft airs are machine guns, all soft air gun with stocks on them shorter than 26" are SBRs, and all soft airs that are pistols have to be bought with a purchase permit and registered.  Since that doesn't happen I will assume my first assessment is the correct one.

In regards to carrying, there are ordinances in some places regarding carrying replica weapons and one can still be charged with if you use a toy gun in a crime such at robbery, threatening, brandishing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just read that airsoft guns are currently illegal in NY City, Washington D.C. and Michigan. What the hell. There also illegal in Singapore, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Germany, and, Australia. Wow. Australia really sucks, banned firearms (Can they still have bolties?), drive on the left hand side of the road and they can't even own plastic toy bb guns. This whole anti-gun thing is out of control, I can understand banning Automatic weapons, hell I can even see the "logic" in gun registration, however to ban stupid toy guns that shoot bbs that can't even break the skin is idiotic. Aye.

Yes they can break the skin, yes your post is ignorant.   MI law classifies rifled barrel pellet guns as firearms. However you cannot register em .  Just more B.S. law , for no goodreason. Softair guns are sold all over MI, and to my knowledge are not illegal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I just read that airsoft guns are currently illegal in NY City, Washington D.C. and Michigan. What the hell. There also illegal in Singapore, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Germany, and, Australia. Wow. Australia really sucks, banned firearms (Can they still have bolties?), drive on the left hand side of the road and they can't even own plastic toy bb guns. This whole anti-gun thing is out of control, I can understand banning Automatic weapons, hell I can even see the "logic" in gun registration, however to ban stupid toy guns that shoot bbs that can't even break the skin is idiotic. Aye.

Yes they can break the skin, yes your post is ignorant.   MI law classifies rifled barrel pellet guns as firearms. However you cannot register em .  Just more B.S. law , for no goodreason. Softair guns are sold all over MI, and to my knowledge are not illegal.

The barrels arent rifled, quality airsoft guns use hop-up instead to stabilize the bb's.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Here in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey, where one is required to have a "Permit" to acquire a BB handgun and a "FOID" to get a BB long gun, an Air-Soft is considered a toy.  Imagine that!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#23]
If no one can personally verify that F/A airsoft are sold legally in Michigan, Im sure the airsoft dealers on the internet know firsthand if is legal to ship to Michigan or not.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If no one can personally verify that F/A airsoft are sold legally in Michigan, Im sure the airsoft dealers on the internet know firsthand if is legal to ship to Michigan or not.

I think we've established that they are legal.  I see them all over the place, including FAs
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Well... thie world isn't going to hell in a handbasket...
were going to hell in an F-16... only cause it's faster

I wonder what the "people" (and I use the term loosely) who made those laws that limit the BB guns were on.

Next your gonna tell me that their banning games like House of the Dead, and Virtual Cop because the pistols used to play the game are to real.

Their trying to have restrictions on videogames...
what is this world coming to?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#26]
The world is coming to, They're trying to "over-protect" people
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Didn't a very wise man once say that those that would sacrifice a little essential liberty for some temporary safety deserve neither?

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

When will they ban SUVs? As a pedestrian, you are 3.7 times more likely to be hit, as well as to be killed by an SUV then any OTHER MOTOR VHEICLE . Reasons have nothing to do with wieght or speed but poor visability, lack of attention and the impact zones on the human frame. Car takes out your legs, you hit the hood. SUV hits your toros, you fall and crack your skull on the pavement.

After all almost 38,000 people a year die from vehicle accidents, its about time we outlaw personal motor vehicles to stop these needless deaths. Just like the tens of thousands of childeren and young adults that are killed each year from Airsoft and paintball guns. Its the second Holocaust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top