Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 2:21:06 PM EDT
Okay, so I guess I shouldn't be bitter, but I am. I went down to the safe at my dorm building just to check on my friends. I am pround of the fact that I worked my butt off to get them. My M1, Russian SKS, and Nagant might not be super fancy, but they are mine. Well, like I said I went to check on them and get some numbers written down. I look into the safe, and right in front of me is an HK 91. It doesn't have a soft/hard case or anything, and it is crammed in with a bunch of paintball guns, airsoft guns, swords, etc. (that's the rules--can't keep them in our rooms) Anyway, it has a 3 position selector (I'm pretty sure that means selective fire, though I'm not an expert), a bipod, a small tactical light, and a large cylinder on the muzzle that's about 5-6 inches long  (no, I'm pretty certain it isn't just a FH/MB).  Where I live, the majority of people are freshman (18-19 years old) and I'm just wondering who's daddy is so loaded and so stupid as to allow him (or maybe her) to bring something like that to college? I mean, isn't that going to run between $3 and 4k? It's just not fair!! My only consolation is that maybe I can find out who it is and go shooting with them sometime.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I had that very gun as a college freshman.  An FA 91.  It's not unknown, you know.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, a transferable full-auto G3/91-conversion will currently run you about $12,000  not $3k-4k.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, wait a minute.  To get ahold of NFA stuff, don't you have to be 21? The amount of people up here who are 21 or over is maybe 50 out of 1200. If I'm wrong I will shut up, but it seems odd that an 18 or 19 year old could have a suppressed, full auto piece.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I was 22 when I was a freshman...there are probably more than you think.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#5]
sure its not airsoft gun?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is, then someone painted out the orange tip. I didn't handle it and see, but I'm almost 100% positive it's the real thing. I've messed with airsoft before, so it is either an extremely expensive airsoft, or it's a selective fire 91.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

sounds like airsoft.  no way someone left a $15K gun in a community safe.  
Don't you have to keep NFA guns under your control at all times?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
What the hell school do you go to? When I was in school we couldn't even have weapons in our fraternity which wasn't even on campus. "Student housing" or some stupid rule governing off campus fraternities or some such crap. Of course, everyone in the house had some kind of firearm pretty much.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sounds like airsoft.  no way someone left a $15K gun in a community safe.  
Don't you have to keep NFA guns under your control at all times?

Threading a cable lock through the action is considered sufficient, I am told. It doesn't have to be under your control, just unavailable to others.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#10]
As things work out I will probably be taking an MRP and some high end shit to college. Probably be keeping it at a relatives house. Hell, if I don't go far it can stay at home.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm at BYU. It's probably one of the most conservative Universities in the country. The state more or less shuts down for the first weekend of deer season. The University just wants them out of our dorm rooms. I have access to them as long as the main desk is open. I will try to see if I can work my way in there to check it out again in the near future, but I feel fairly confident that it is the real deal. Like I said, no orange tip, mag was out of the mag well, and bolt appeared to be real enough. It is either one extremely good airsoft gun, or it is a toy whose owner needs to become my friend.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Just because the 3rd position is on there dosent mean it goes to the third position.
Some people even go as far as to duplicate the look of the pins on a shelf receiver.

Also are you sure its a real HK and not one of the clones.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I only saw it for a few seconds. I was mainly concentrating on making sure my M1 and others were still in good shape. The safe isn't all that big, and there's a lot of stuff in it. I think it was a real HK, but can't be positive. I suppose some one would think it was "cool" to put a phony suppressor and a 3rd position on their receiver just to fool people.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I only saw it for a few seconds. I was mainly concentrating on making sure my M1 and others were still in good shape. The safe isn't all that big, and there's a lot of stuff in it. I think it was a real HK, but can't be positive. I suppose some one would think it was "cool" to put a phony suppressor and a 3rd position on their receiver just to fool people.

Most clones come with S-E-F markings.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe if you incorporate than everyone on the list essentially owns it. Not sure if this changes the age limit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was in college, it was OK to clean deer by hanging them from the shower heads in the shower room down the hall.  Easy cleanup, just turn on all the showers.  But you had to give the dorm mother a few pounds of fresh venison.

I reloaded in my room.  Just kept it all in the closet most times.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most clones come with S-E-F markings.

I seen Hesse/Vulcan ones with 3 position selectors, but its just for looks
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:12:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Back in 93-97, when I was in college, we were allowed to keep firearms in the trunk of our cars. It was a regular gun show in the parking lot.

I carried a Glock 21 & a Mossberg pump all around Minnesota in my trunk.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Leave a note on the rifle "let's go shooting", then you'll get to see it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Doubt its F/A. Most HK clones still have the thrid possition, it just does nothing. My FAL has a thrid postion... I'm not going to push the selector into it for a long time.. I dont want to know what will happen.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh, and your pissed cause some kid has a nicer gun then you?
Guess what, I had my pocket folding tool thing taken away from my on campus because it has a 1.25 inch blade on it...  there fore constituting a knife, therefore a deadly weapon, therefore I can’t have it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm at BYU. It's probably one of the most conservative Universities in the country. The state more or less shuts down for the first weekend of deer season. The University just wants them out of our dorm rooms. I have access to them as long as the main desk is open. I will try to see if I can work my way in there to check it out again in the near future, but I feel fairly confident that it is the real deal. Like I said, no orange tip, mag was out of the mag well, and bolt appeared to be real enough. It is either one extremely good airsoft gun, or it is a toy whose owner needs to become my friend.

I'm a BYU Amumni as well.

I am betting that it's an airsoft.  Easy way to tell is to remove the pagazine and look in the magwell.  You'll know REALLY quickly.  Also, you can just look at the underside of the pistol grip.  If it has a covering plate on it secured with two screws and a circle in the center with a hex screw, it's an airsoft gun - that's where the motor is.

I have a semi-auto FAL from Arizona Response Systems that has the 3-selector position, but it's only semi-auto.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top