Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 8:43:28 PM EDT
ok, so back when i was first looking for a pistol, this one sparked some interest mainly due to its capacity(20 rounds) and the ballistics of the load. now with the AWB in retreat, i cm able to get the 20 round  mags correct?
and the price of 750-800$ new is not so unreasonable sounding to me as it used to be.
i have yet to actually tinker with one of these in person, so i am asking for some input from those who have, especially anyone who owns one or has shot one before.
i am well aware that the ammo comes out to 45 cents a round on ammo man, and i will try and offset that cost by reloading the rounds once i have enough brass....
any input is greatly appreciated
thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_144_24/ai_57886949/pg_2
i saw here that the caliber was ruled as a "It's too bad that the cartridge isn't publically available, but it has been ruled to he "non-sporting" by ATF and can only be sold to agencies, just like the guns."
however ammoman has them for sale...
was this ruleing repealed?
i dont want a gun that i cant  get ammo for
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The gun is now available to civilians, but its SS190 armor-piercing ammo isn't.  SS192 hollowpoints are.  There was a report here that these can go through some vests.  Cheapest I've found is about $17 per box of 50. 20-round mags should be available, but I can't find them anywhere; latest I heard is end of Oct. at my local gun shop.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Magazine discussion:
FiveSeven Question

Word of warning, there are two types of hicaps out there.  One that will activate the magazine disconnect & one that won't.  I had to remove my mag disconnect in order to use the hicaps.  My buddy received a different style magazine & he didn't have deactivate the mag disconnect.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Take this for what it's worth since I don't reload and as such am not all that familiar with the laws but have heard from two people that it is legal to reload SS190, just not sell it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#5]
ok, main concern here is.
1.) will this caliber ever go away and i be stuck with a gun that has  verry rare ammo?
2.)  is the caliber tried and true yet? i reada few reviews of people trashing the 5.7x28mm because it resembeles a 22 in size.
I would be useing this to replace my sig 220 as my primary home defenseweapon. i like the fact that the bullets wont over penetrate because i live in a closely packed neighborhood, so that would cut down on possible litigation if i were ot ever have to use the gun.
what do you guys think about the 5.7x28mm ammo? the gun itself?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:02:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The ammo isn't going away anytime soon. The P90 which uses the same ammo has been adopted by enough countries that there will be someone producing it and eventually there will be surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Hollowpoints ONLY!!!!!!!!! The standard ball ammo is still tightly controlled as it defeats body armor, this was explained to me by the agent who runs the local ATF office.  I guess knowone in government bothered to check the fact the CZ-52 and Tokarev with HP loads easily defeats Class 2 body armor and they've been imported for years!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I love mine and it shoots awesome. Ammo cost is 50/$16.50 in my area which is not bad.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#9]
oufree, where do you get your ammo from?
is there the possibility to reload this ammo to cut down on the cost?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#10]
It is possible to reload but the dies I have seen are real expensive and special order and take a long time to get. I think Midway has them for special order. I get my ammo from a local guy and it's the best price I've seen by far. He has no problem getting it as well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#11]
annything else you can tell me about the gun?
i would like to be alle to  shoot it, or at least hold it before i buy it... just so i know it fits my hand and shoots comfortably....
annyways, thanks for the info.

edit:
how is the duribility of this gun?
has it ever jamed?
whatabout replacement parts, say one does break?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#12]

annything else you can tell me about the gun?

Check out this 12 page thread for more 5.7 info.
JR
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=10865
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I got mine this week but haven't shot it yet.  $699 from cdnn w/3 10rnders.

Ammo: Reeds - $350 for 1000 (.35 a round) - hollowpoints SS192.

Mags: Ordered some from CMMG - hopefully they are IOM 20rnders, which means you don't have to mess with the mag disconnect.

The above pics compare the 5.7 SS192 to .223

I call it "minime"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top