Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 12:32:47 PM EDT
I'm assuming that since steel is generally harder than copper that it will cause extra wear and tear on the barrel. is this true? is it enough to worry about? does steel jacketed perform differently on/in a target? better or worse penetration etc?

edit to fix typo
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
There definitely will be less bullet deformation/fragmentation, which in turn will cause deeper penetration. I am pretty sure that it will cause accelerated weapons wear. I wouldn't use it. O.k., o.k., I've used the bi-metal ruskie crap in my sten but I got about 5 extra tubes for it and I got the bad one in it now, so I don't care about the steel jacketing wearing it more (maybey it'll smooth out the roughness) I wouldn't use it in my ar's though, but that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never seen a steel jacketed rd. I've seen steel cased rds. Someone tell me what I'm missing?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Most Norma commercial ammo had steel jacketed bullets.  Few diss Norma ammo for that reason.  I certainly don't...

Much surplus ammo has steel jacketed bullets (for example, the Portuguese 7.62x51mm NATO ball has a steel jacket under the copper flashing..).  Most of the mild steel jackets won't wear the barrel any faster than guilding metal jackets...

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]
just used a magnet on the turkish surplus 8mm I got today. the sign was right, it's steel jacketed.
not worried about the extra barrel wear though as I won't be shooting it very often
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Hate to tell you guys, but both the turkish (1947 ans '39 stuff) and the norma commercial stuff is CUPRO-NICKEL, it's silver, but it's NOT steel. I've shot vast quantities of both, and in my job I work with a LOT of cupro-nickel piping (magnets try to stick to it too) Portugese ball, shouldn'r have copper washed steel jackets, but some of the armor piercing stuff does though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've never seen a steel jacketed rd. I've seen steel cased rds. Someone tell me what I'm missing?

I agree. Steel core perhaps but not a steel jacket.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. Steel core perhaps but not a steel jacket.

Most US GI .30 caliber and 7.62mm ammunition made since 1968 has had copper washed steel jacketed bullets.  It is a mild steel that shoudn't contribute much, if any, more to barrel wear than copper jackets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top