Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 11:58:29 AM EDT
the front sight on my .45 is about to come off again! i think i posted about this some time ago. sent it back to the factory and they "fixed" it, they did a sloppy job at it. some asshole left finger prints on my pistol and it wont come off because its loctite! the pistol was made by kahr arms. what should we do? this will be the second time sending it back to the factory. this is just BS, we will never buy from them again!.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it an Auto Ordnance model? They're on the lower end of the 1911 decent quality spectrum, IMO. Bite the bullet & send it to a good gunsmith.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
yep, its auto ordnance. i thought kahr arms was the same as auto ordnance......
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
yep, its auto ordnance. i thought kahr arms was the same as auto ordnance......

Kahr bought them in the last year or two.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Mudzilla;

The front sight on your gun is almost certainly staked on. It is very difficult to get a larger than 1911A1 size front sight to stay in place via this method since every time the slide cycles the front sight is doing its' level best to jump off the gun. It can be brazed or silver soldered in place or a dovetail can be cut and a different sight put there. One of the first things we used to do with later Colts (70 Series and after) was to re-peen the front sight. I have seen many...I mean MANY...come flying off under recoil, including those on later Gold Cups. The Auto Ordnance guns have a spotty reputation. I have talked to a few guys who love theire and others who say they were thrilled to get rid of them. Kahr does have an excellent service Department, however. I believe I just might give them one more shot at this, provided they knew just how UNHAPPY i was with their last efforts! (Polite but firm!)

Otherwise, send it to someone who can cut the dovetail and insert a front sight that will stay...of course it will cost you money!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the advice. we plan on telling them how we feel
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
A real fix is, as mentioned, to have dovetailed sights installed. Send the slide to a shop that does this service regulary [ Wilsons, EGW,...] and be done with the problem and enjoy better sights also.  Sending it back to the same slob seems pointless.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
SIG P220 .45
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey!

Since they've made it worse (damaged slide) call them up and ask to speak to the president of the company. Explain what happened and tell them you want this rectified immediately. I'm not familiar with their warranty policy but it should cover replacing the slide as well as sights. A majority of times the gun goes to the factory for repairs the repair is not QC'd by management. It's checked off the "To Do List" of the person doing the repairs and shipped back to the owner. I had a problem with a revolver from a well known manufaturer. I was calling the president of the company weekly...I was shipped a brand new revolver (he got tired of me calling).

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
we plan on asking for a new slide. when i say we i mean me and my dad. im only 19

its a good pistol, i love the .45 caliber. its just for plinking around the house so thats why i only got a 500 dollar pistol
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Hang in there Mudzilla...Kahr will probably make it good. Their service is excellent, I must admit.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting, I just got an Auto Ordnance for a camping/canoe gun, first time I shot it the front sight disappeared. Sat down at my work bench with a dremel tool and a handfull of change, a nickle was just the right width, cut it, smoothed it, cut out the dovetail, used my electronic calipers to measure the height on the sight on my Remington 1911A1, carefully sanded it down, then took a small hammer and beat it into the slide. Then I carefully shaped it and used stove black on it. I'll take it shooting this weekend, it looks good, cost exactly 30 minutes and five cents. Reference the gun, I ran about 100 rounds through it , four types of ammo and five different magaazines, was very accurate and flawless in operation.

rk
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
you should:
1) send it back and get it "fixed" for free
2) once returned, sell it for more than its worth
3) buy a SA 1911 - mil spec run less than $450  :)

JMHO :)
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Tell them you want it Dove Tailed, this time around.

Sights flying off of 1911's is common if they are not Dove Tailed in. I have that problem on a customized series 70 colt gov of mine.

If the gun works, it is not a POS, they should've fixed it right the 1st time back.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]
well it was jaming but when we sent it back the first time they polished the feed ramp and it works good now. hasnt jamed since
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
well it was jaming but when we sent it back the first time they polished the feed ramp and it works good now. hasnt jamed since

Keep that gun or better yet give it to me.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Use Methyl alcohol to soften and remove locktite.

To properly install a staked-on front sight, you need to countersink the end of the tenon slot from the inside of the slide. When the site is staked, the tenon spreads into the countersink, preventing the site from falling out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Till I got my dovetail front sight in from Brownells, I put a very small TIG weld on the tenon inside the slide. It stayed till my new sight came in. I had probably shot more than 500 rds after the weld.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top