Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 3:04:18 PM EDT
How good are the Austrailian 308 blister packs of ammo? Do you recommend any other type of ammo? Portugese?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Portugese, South African, and Australian are all good.  I'd stay away from the Indian shit unless you're only going to use it in a 1919.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
 I'd stay away from the Indian shit unless you're only going to use it in a 1919.

Why? They put curry in it?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I'd stay away from the Indian shit unless you're only going to use it in a 1919.

Why? They put curry in it?

No, cumin.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot a little Indian and it is inaccurate. I've also seen many pictures on the internet of firearms that where destroyed because of Indian ammo. The first time I picked up any Indian ammo I made it a point to inspect every casing before I loaded it into my FAL's magazines. One round I came across had a very odd crimped neck; it was not a smooth crimp like anything I've ever seen. The round almost looked like it had been crimped with a set of pliers, needless to say I didn't shoot it.

Portuguese seems to be the most accurate .308 surplus I've found, I really like it for the bolt guns and the Aussie isn't bad either.

Jerad

shaggy what makes it any different when fired through a 1919?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The Aussie is listed as a bit faster than the Port. They are both bargins and worth owning. Some bolt shooters have mentioned that the Aussie was acceptable as inezpensive practice ammo. Sounds like praise to me. I have only fired it in a base MI-A and 2.5"@100 were the norm. No failures.  The port I have fired in FAL car. and I tend to believe it is a bit 'lighter'.  Clean enough, the both too.
btw, the blister packs are dated more recient than the bandoleer/canned stuff.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#6]

AUSSIE = GOOD

PORT = GOOD
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've shot a little Indian and it is inaccurate. I've also seen many pictures on the internet of firearms that where destroyed because of Indian ammo. The first time I picked up any Indian ammo I made it a point to inspect every casing before I loaded it into my FAL's magazines. One round I came across had a very odd crimped neck; it was not a smooth crimp like anything I've ever seen. The round almost looked like it had been crimped with a set of pliers, needless to say I didn't shoot it.

Portuguese seems to be the most accurate .308 surplus I've found, I really like it for the bolt guns and the Aussie isn't bad either.

Jerad

shaggy what makes it any different when fired through a 1919?

A gun like a 1919 can easily withstand a KB. in .308  They're just built like tanks; heavy steel sideplates held together with a lot of rivets.  I had several KBs in mine with 8mm and all I needed to do to repair it was hammer the topcover back into shape with a rubber mallet; I was back shooting within minutes.  Same thing with the M240 - even had an army 240 gunner tell me the only time he'd ever seen one break was on a jump.  Apparently the sling came loose or broke and the gun dropped about half a mile to the ground.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Indian is crap.  Not accurate at all, BUT it is cheap.  I was picking it up for $55.00 a 660 round can.  I have to inspect every round when I load up mags.  I use it for plate shooting and bump firing.  I would never recommend it, but I have shot the hell out of it, about 1 in 50 has a bent shell or bad crimp.  S.B., Aussie and Port. is all good ammo.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the responses guys. I picked up some Aussie from Ammoman.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top