Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2004 2:38:10 PM EDT
Now I was raised to believe that dry firing a weapon is not only perfectly exceptible, but also mandatory for learing good firearm skills. In the military it is not uncommon for recuites to speed a week dry firing their firearms before they even see a round of ammunition. The same hold true for handguns.

However recently I was looking at pistols, (p22) and noticed that on all the cases there are signs, "do not dry fire the handguns". I asked about it, and the owner said that dry firing a weapon is very bad, and in the case of a handgun (pistol, revolver) it will break the firearm.

What the hell.. I have never heard of such a thing. Can someone please explain. Is it just that the 1911 and Beretta are that well built that they can handel dry firing? .
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I know that dry firing most rimfire weapons can be bad for them, because of the way the firing "pin" is set.  I believe most centerfire weapons are o.k. for dry fire.  Some of the more knowledgable here can better explain the mechanics of it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Centerfire, dry fire to your heart's content. Rimfire, not so good.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Get Birchwood Casey Snap Caps.........................and dry fire away.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Ruger manual says dry-firing the 10/22 is ok. Can't speak for others
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ruger manual says dry-firing the 10/22 is ok. Can't speak for others

And for the Mk II, as well. These both have a "firing pin stop pin", to keep the firing pin from contacting the rear of the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking at a Rem bolt .308 at a local gunshow when I, after asking to handle the gun, checked the chamber, shouldered the rifle pointing at the wall and dry fired to check the trigger.  The guy behind the booth went bananas saying I'll destroy the rifle/firing pin!!!  I smiled, set the rifle down and quietly walked away.

Oh well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top