Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 5:00:19 AM EDT
I'm looking for an upper-mid range tactical type scope.  Something along the lines of the old Super Sniper Tasco 10x42 (when they made them right, before it all fell apart).   I can't see the prices of some of the new Leupolds, though an M3 is on SWFA's "sample List" for $899.  Might as well go for something good like a US optics.  But, I'm trying to avoid that - I am not a "professional sniper" nor do I play one on TV or in my mind.  

I want to stick to fixed power if I can:  other than Springfield, most require one to go to max. magnification to use the mil dot.  So, I am considering the "new" Super Sniper SWFA has, the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 (looks to be their only fixed mil dot), and would be open to recommendations.  If the Leatherwood had fixed, I'd consider it.  What are the experiences any of you could give me on the Super Sniper or the Bushnell?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I want to stick to fixed power if I can:  other than Springfield, most require one to go to max. magnification to use the mil dot.  Thanks

Unless ya go to Premier Recticle and get the new Gen II recticle, which allows ranging at any power, with x-hairs etched into the first focal plane, btw LEUPOLD is the only scope I recommend, see the Gen IIs here: www.premierreticles.com/index.php?uid=5465&page=1793&main=1&PHPSESSID=da7bada8bccb0beb31841d403312d6a5

Mike
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The "new" Super Snipers are fines scopes, I've got one on my DPMS .308.  They're a little big for an AR, imho, and those turret knobs are HUGE.  The glass is nice and clear, and there's a diopter adjustment, which is very nice for a scope in this price range.  BTW, mine's a 10x...some folks here have posted that the 16x and 20x get a little blurry.  

I believe Nikon makes a mil dot reticle Buckmaster in a variable (3x9 maybe) for about the same money as the SS, so you might want to consider that if you're looking at the Bushnell as well.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Fenian,  I'll be mounting it on an AR-10A4.  Yes, the 10x is what I was looking for.  I'll look into the Nikon.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The SS will work fine on the AR10...when I said it's a little big, I was thinking more in terms of and AR15 carbine or something similar.  Still, you should check out a couple of different things, including the Nikon.  Also, I'm pretty sure you can get at least one of the Buckmasters with a mil dot reticle if you're so inclined.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#5]
DEFINITELY check out the IOR Bucheresti M2.  The value in this scope is not immediately apparent from looking at a catalog.  I know I overlooked it many times.  It was not until I actually handled an AR-15 carbine with M2 scope that I appreciated its features.

For one, it has excellent knob type turrets.  The elevation turret is set up with Bullet Drop Compensation cammed for either M855, in the case of the 5.56 version, or 168 gr .308.  You just dial it in 1 (for 100 m), 2, 3, 4, etc.

The reticle has a range finding scale, and is lit for nighttime use.  

This scope has very clear, sharp, bright optics, but just 4x fixed power... which is PLENTY for most tac uses.  It has a rubber bellowed eyepiece and on the front, a rubber lens cap.

Price, about $350.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top