Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2004 9:06:51 AM EDT
Why is it that MI-A's seem to have so much more recoil than an AR-10, or FAL., or Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
stock design.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Were you shooting them with brakes vs a FS? Since most ARs/ all bushmasters didnt come out before the ban they would have a brake or a naked barrel. Besides that most of it has to due with the gas vs piston designs.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't speak the AR-10 or the Bushy, but I once saw a pic of the relative bore axis differences between the M1A and the FAL, and it clearly showed that the gas system on the M1A is below the bore, while the gas system on the FAL is above the bore - which seems to carry recoil in a straighter line to the shoulder - not sure if I explained it properly, but that made sense when I saw it...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone didn't mention the shock buff design of the AR-10 yet. There's where recoil goes to die, IMO. Stock design has very little difference in this comparasion, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#5]
My AR10 has a muzzle brake. My M1A doesn't. I think that makes a noticeable difference also.

The Garand seems to have less recoil than the M1A but the Garand is heavier so that may help it cut down the recoil a bit.

Hey, there gonna kick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top