Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 9:26:01 PM EDT
LEGALLY what happens when you put a stock on a pistol? ala 1911's or Glocks?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
it becomes an illegal SBR unless you register it or accompany that stock with a 16"+ bbl.

ETA:  certain exceptions include C&R guns like some Lugers and BHPs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

IIRC that only applies to a pistol that you purchase in that mannor, and you may never remove or modify the stock.  SKSs lose any CR status if you replace any part of them for a modern part, such as a hi-cap mag or a sport stock ect. To be C&R the rifle/pistol must remain in its orginal collectors state.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC that only applies to a pistol that you purchase in that mannor, and you may never remove or modify the stock.  SKSs lose any CR status if you replace any part of them for a modern part, such as a hi-cap mag or a sport stock ect. To be C&R the rifle/pistol must remain in its orginal collectors state.

I don't know about the SKS, but on the pistols you can remove the stock, if it's removeable.  The C&R pistols that can legally take a stock, like a Broomhandle Mauser for example, are perfectly legal with the stock on or off.  You can even use a reproduction stock, as long as it conforms to the original.  So while the Mauser is legal with the original-type stock, it wouldn't be legal with a stock that wouldn't be conforming to the original configuration.

There are some BHPs and Lugers that are allowed a shoulder stock as well as an Astra 400, etc.  This is due to collectability and the reason that the original configuration stock is allowed, whereas a non-original config stock is not.  

This doesn't mean that any gun that can accept a stock originally is legal.  Far from it.  My Luger has a 4" barrel, and the stock lug.  However because it is a 4" and not a Navy or Artillery Luger, legally I can't have a stock on it.  Only the Navy and Arty Lugers are allowed if I read the ATF letter correctly.

You can buy a lug for the M1911-type guns.  You may have seen them as a kit with a stock and 16" barrel.  As long as the 16" barrel is installed, you can use the stock.  If it's not, you can't use the stock legally.

For modern guns, like a Glock, etc, you need a 16" barrel, and the total length of the gun with stock has to equal the minimum required (I forgot what it is) as well.  If you use a shorter barrel, you have a SBR and it needs to be registered Class three to be legal.

While I'd admit a Stechkin would be cool, I've shot quite a few stocked handguns, and they are more trouble than they are worth.  You don't really shoot all that better with than without a stock, and carrying the stock around is cumbersome.  The reality is they aren't worth it, and that's why they died off before there were any legal ramifications about them.

Ross

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top