Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 6:18:14 AM EDT
The following are some pics of a project I've been working on.  I know it looks like a Bubba took a dremel to it.  

Basically what I did was fit an AB10 with a Soumi 72 round drum magazine.  I picked up the AB10 6 or 7 years ago for about $65 from a guy who couldn't make it work.  I put a different mag in it and got it to function fairly reliably but  it still shoots 4" low and right at about 10 yards. The AB10 is a POS so I didn't mind grinding on it  to experiment.

I actually got the mag to stay in it and fire twice before it fell out. Not enough support side to side. I also had to open up the lower part of the receiver a bit to allow the mag to sit up high enough for the bolt to strip the rounds. One thing about the plastic lower receiver. When cutting away the plastic mag housing the receiver is weakened considerable and causes it to flex. While not dangerous, it affects reliabilty. I think I would would have to strengthen the mag area with steel to shore up the heavy drum mag if I wanted to make it work reliable. I would probably have to add steel rails to stiffen the sides of the plastic.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks pretty good with the drum in place actually. Let us know how it functions. Fortunately those AB-10's are cheap enough to be monkied with...... not to mention magazine quality was always their weak spot anyways.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Man, if you can get that to work, that is awesome. A new CCW piece
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
another picture

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Any further progress reports?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Trying to figure a way to keep the mag from twisting out of the well when fired. It looks like i will have to add (weld) somthing to the mag to keep it lined up side to side correctly.

Note the flexing of the frame.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Feinstein would love that thing!
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagged.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top