Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2004 4:11:34 PM EDT
I want a FAMAS F1 in the worst way.  There are only about 100 or so in the country, and it is one of the few foreign assault rifles I currently do not have in my collection (the SIG 550 being the other main one I lack).  Not only would I have to sell some stuff in order to afford it (that is, if I don't put in on the credit card), but can I really justify spending $7,000 + on something that once cost less than $900.00 when Century first imported them?  Totally subjective, I know, but WTF is wrong with me, wanting this God awful, ugly ass gun?  I don't know why, but the more I look at it, the more I want it.........kind of like drinking an ugly girl pretty by last call.  I have plenty of ARs and AKs, and my "Assault Rifles from Around the World" themed collection is pretty decent (minus the above, and hence my quandry).  This black rifle disease is getting out of control, and I don't see any cure in the near future.  Am I f'ing nuts?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems to me that if a gun cost seven big ones it had either be full auto or shoot .50s. This gun does neither. Thumbs down.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Seems to me that if a gun cost seven big ones it had either be full auto or shoot .50s. This gun does neither. Thumbs down.

I know, I know......but I so want to add it to my "immodest array of firearms"  .  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Well that FAMAS for $7,000 is a lot better then the last one I saw for sale and that was $10,000.
Even though the gun is not full auto I think that it will hold its value...there is not going to be any more imported. Maybe you will luck out and there will be a FAMAS clone some day.  However, I do not see that happening.

If it would make you happy I would say get it, but the question you have to ask yourself is what are you willling to part with to get the FAMAS. I really want a MP5 BAD!!, and Icould have one today if I wanted, but I would have to sell off a lot of my semi autos and I am not ready to do that.

Here is a thought get a SIG 550 instead of the FAMAS. Sturmgewehr has a few 550s listed one is a LEO mark with US parts $4495 and there is a PRE 89 550 $4900!! I would say get the SIG have fun with it and then if you still want a FAMAS then you can sell of the SIG...trust me there will always be guys who want a SIG 550.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Whatever makes you happy.  You only go around once.  Can't take it with you.  You have to reward yourself.

How's that for negative peer pressure?

I agree with BobCole, though.  I'd have a hard time justifying $7K on something that isn't full-auto.  Are you planning to shoot it if you get it, or is it a safe queen?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#5]
isn't that french made?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
For some reason I really want one too.  I like the British L85 (or is it SA80?) also.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably good advice, Chris, but given the choice between the two, I'd have to opt for the FAMAS first, and then the SIG, only because I don't know if/when I'd have another crack at buying one.  Hell, I don't even know if this one's still available.  I saw it on the Sturm board a couple weeks ago, I don't know if it fell off the bottom, or if it's sold.  With my luck, someone already snapped it up.  If that is the case, and the FAMAS ship has already set sail, then I might have to work on getting that NIB black AUG A2 on the Sturm board (droooooool).  I guess I got a thing for AUGs.

GomerPyle, unfortunately, the FAMAS would most likely be a safe queen, only because there are NO spare/replacement parts for it, and if I dropped that kind of ching on a rifle, and then broke something on it, I'd not be a very happy camper.   I know that the thought of owning a gun and not shooting it just doesn't register with some people, so I'll don my flame suit now.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
lu380, I like the L85 as well, too bad it is not comercially available to US buyers.  Would be nice to add to the collection.  I never liked bullpups until I bought my first AUG years ago.  Actually, I downright hated them, and thought they were as ugly as sin.  Now, three AUGs (maybe a fourth ) later, I can't say enough good things about them.  My dream bullpup would be an Isreali TAVOR, but that'll never happen.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
... amateurs, you'll all learn sooner or later
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Huh?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

... $7K for something a $650 rifle will do (even better)

... Go fish!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

... Go fish!

You're obviously missing the point, bro.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#13]
A FAMAS would almost be a safer buy then a F/A weapon. Knowing my luck if I ever plunked down a chunk of change for a Mac-10, Sterling or Uzi would that in three months they would Grandfather the damn things making them worthless.  Famas is a gun that is under the liberal radar and is a real collectors piece, one of my favorites for a long time now. Damn French, they need to sell parts kits! What did they replace the Famas with? As for the LA-85, I foresee the British dumping it on the market like the did with the FAL when the LA-85 gets replaced, which is rummored for the next 5 years or so.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:17:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I am old enough to remember when 7.62x39 ammo was $1 a round IF you could find it, and I bought my first AR for $300...below retail but the gunshop made a profit, I'm sure. With the stroke of a pen the ban of 89 could be rescinded for any number of reasons. Likely? No, but much stranger things have happened in the name of politics. "Values" on guns like the FAMAS are mostly extremely inflated and driven only by so-called "demand" from people who buy into the "appreciation as an investment" thing. Eventually, the bottom will almost always fall out of markets like this (anyone here remember the Arabian horse fiasco some years back?) and those $5,000-15,000 guns go back to their realistic values...take a look at pre-ban ARs now as a mild example.

The least likely bans to be rescinded will be those dealing with Class 3 stuff, although those values have gone so high it defies logic. If you have $7K to burn up on something like a FAMAS, my adbvice would be to put it to better use (you DID ask for us to talk sense into you!) and find some guy down and out enough to let you into the C3 ARs at a low price...(I have a friend who recently picked up a registered receiver for $6K almost new) or even the 550...although there is a very good chance that they will be built here before too much longer.

Just because you want something does not make it good for you!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:23:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I am old enough to remember when 7.62x39 ammo was $1 a round IF you could find it, and I bought my first AR for $300...below retail but the gunshop made a profit, I'm sure. With the stroke of a pen the ban of 89 could be rescinded for any number of reasons. Likely? No, but much stranger things have happened in the name of politics. "Values" on guns like the FAMAS are mostly extremely inflated and driven only by so-called "demand" from people who buy into the "appreciation as an investment" thing. Eventually, the bottom will almost always fall out of markets like this (anyone here remember the Arabian horse fiasco some years back?) and those $5,000-15,000 guns go back to their realistic values...take a look at pre-ban ARs now as a mild example.

The least likely bans to be rescinded will be those dealing with Class 3 stuff, although those values have gone so high it defies logic. If you have $7K to burn up on something like a FAMAS, my adbvice would be to put it to better use (you DID ask for us to talk sense into you!) and find some guy down and out enough to let you into the C3 ARs at a low price...(I have a friend who recently picked up a registered receiver for $6K almost new) or even the 550...although there is a very good chance that they will be built here before too much longer.

Just because you want something does not make it good for you!

Probably the most sound advice yet...........................................I hate you
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:25:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't shoot the messenger, brother. Besides..."It's All Good!"
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:33:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Don't shoot the messenger, brother. Besides..."It's All Good!"

Despite the soundness of the advice, I'll still rationalize getting the gun.........that's just how I am.  I guess I'm just fishing for reinforcement, kinda like the guy standing on the ledge, only needing a few morbid people down below yelling "Jump!" at him before he takes the plunge.  I fully realize that the value is artificially inflated due to supply and demand.  Hell, so are class 3 products (you know an auto sear doesn't cost $10,000 to make, nor is it made of diamond ).  But thanks for looking out for my best interest.  Now do something more constructive and help me think of reasons to convince my wife why I need this gun.   That is the most daunting task I face.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#18]
A real man would buy the frog AND the Sig...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A real man would buy the frog AND the Sig...

Don't taunt me, I just might do it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I shot a FAMAS at the sfqc, they suck. bad sights for a rifle OK for a sub gun made in the 60's .

bad safety easy to misalighn or at least turn it half way out of battery, oh yeah if you bump the

saftey while moving about 1/4 to fire and squeze the triger it will fire out of battery . bipod legs fall

off while running, bad trigger think brand new g3. no optics ,akward magazine reloads, basically

this gun sucks! why buy a mint condition rifle no one uses, that the french are going to faze out?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#21]
As long as you don't sell anything...

Buy it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I say get it. This is the 2nd FAMAS I saw for sale in 4 years. So they are very RARE. Oh and one more thing to taunt you.... There is ONE L85 semi auto in the country. The price tag I saw was 15,000, but there is only one.
I am glad to see there is another bullpup fan on AR15. I have two AUGs and would like to add a 3rd or 4th.

Lets us know what you buy!!!

Chris
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Get the SIG

I just can't justify the 7K....

If i had a collection and it was the LAST gun... i could justify it... but not before the SIG

- BG
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

... Go fish!

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok I find I rarely will step in and try to stop a gunny from buying a gun that they want but maybe I should ask a few question concerning this purchase.

1. What is your financial standing?

A. Is your house paid off?
B. Do you own a house?
C. Do you own a motorcycle?
D. Do you own a boat, atv, waverunner?
E. Do you have a 2nd house?
F. Masters?
G. What are the wife/kidds going to be out by you buying this?
H. Have you paid the electric, mortgage, gas, phone, etc bills?
I. Is your credit card paid off?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I could do alot more with $7k than buy one gun. I could buy lots of guns and still get my boat, atv...

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
As long as you don't sell anything...

Buy it.

Here, Drobs mounts my left shoulder, donning horns, tail, cloven hooves, and pitch fork in hand.

Quoted:
Ok I find I rarely will step in and try to stop a gunny from buying a gun that they want but maybe I should ask a few question concerning this purchase.

1. What is your financial standing?

A. Is your house paid off?
B. Do you own a house?
C. Do you own a motorcycle?
D. Do you own a boat, atv, waverunner?
E. Do you have a 2nd house?
F. Masters?
G. What are the wife/kidds going to be out by you buying this?
H. Have you paid the electric, mortgage, gas, phone, etc bills?
I. Is your credit card paid off?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I could do alot more with $7k than buy one gun. I could buy lots of guns and still get my boat, atv...

Here, drobs alter ego, Angelic Drobs, trades in pitchfork and brimstone for angel wings and pixy dust, as he mounts my right shoulder.  

Hey drobs, judging from the amount of greed inspired guilt your most recent post just caused me, I'd say the angel beat the snot out of the devil....................thanks alot .

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Then again they won't turn off the gas, electric, cable, reposess your car, house, boat, atv, if you only miss one payment.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You need to get the craving out of your system.

Sure, you could buy the damn thing and probably get most of your money back out of it or even maybe make a profit.

But as a long-time gunluster I have discovered that if you wait long enough the craving will usually go away, and be replaced by something else.  

Tough it out!

Or, instead of a shot of heroin, take some morphine.  Get a good Airsoft copy and maybe that will help you get through this troubling time.

That's good advice.  The DTs from not getting are already starting to wane!   I still get the cold night sweats though......

Edited to add:  I eased the FAMAS craving by jumping on a black AUG (can never have too many AUGs ).  The deal was too good to pass up, and for once, my timing for seeing the ad shortly after its posting was just right.  Some things are just meant to be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top