Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 1:05:28 PM EDT
Last time I went to the range this weekend, I fired a shot from my .22LR rifle (actually, it's a dedicated AR upper) and it sounded "different" so I put it away to check on when I got home.  Sure enough, a .22LR bullet (the shell ejected just fine) is lodged about halfway down the barrel.  What's the easiest way to get it out?  It's in there VERY tight.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
haven't had to do it myself, but I've read horror stories about wood dowels.  Avoid!

I'm thinking lube and ram with a cleaning rod...

anyone got a better idea?

- BG
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy one of those mil-surp M-16 cleaning kits, the ones with the screw together sections. The rods are steel so they should hold up to a bit of hammering.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Buy one of those mil-surp M-16 cleaning kits, the ones with the screw together sections. The rods are steel so they should hold up to a bit of hammering.

My .o2

I have one of those.  I'll have to try it and see if that works.  Will it help/hurt to drop some CLP down the barrel first?  Should I push the bullet back towards the chamber, or out towards the muzzle (it's closer to the chamber/receiver)?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Push it out toward the muzzle.  Lube will help.  Put a spent .22 shell on the section of rod you are tapping on.  It probably won't take as much force as you think.  Just tap it out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I would CLP the shit out of it ,,,,  let it sit for hour or 2 and  then bang on it

wolf
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would CLP the shit out of it ,,,,  let it sit for hour or 2 and  then bang on it

wolf

The bullet has a gas tight seal on the lands and grooves.  Don't waste time letting it sit.

Trust me, I play an engineer on TV.  In a few minutes I will take my engineer hat off and put on my Jack Daniels hat.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Push it out toward the muzzle.  Lube will help.  Put a spent .22 shell on the section of rod you are tapping on.  It probably won't take as much force as you think.  Just tap it out.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah, hell, jes' take a Bernz-o-matic torch and heat the bejesus out of the barrel!  Lead melts at about 800 degrees, you should be able to pour it right out of the muzzle end into a container of your choosing.
P.S. i was just kidding.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Got it out!  Thanks guys.  It actually took very little pressure and I didn't even need to use any lube.  I used the USGI cleaning kit rod.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Good

I've personally pushed .22's through bbl's manually with a cleaningrod w/o a handle before (just to see how they came out), so it shouldn't have been very difficult.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad to hear everything worked out.

Squibs in the barrel are always a worry of mine... especially when I'm training new shooters who may not be aware of the difference if a squib should occur.

- BG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top