Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 4:41:02 PM EDT
Right around the time the infamous AWB was instituted, I purchased a Daewoo DR200 that came with a black synthetic thumbhole stock.  I would now like to replace that stock with an AR15-type pistolgrip and solid stock.

At one time, I was advised that www.riflestocks.com had what I was looking for, but because the AWB was still alive, I didn't pursue it.  I just checked their website and this item must have been discontinued.  Now that the ban is dead, I want to follow through with this.

Ideas/suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the boards.

Ace (riflestocks.com) makes the DR200 stock kit you're looking for.  You can get either an FAL styled side folder or you can buy adapters from them that will let you attach an AR15 stock to your DR200.

One of the items on the main menu is "AK and Daewoo".  Click that and scroll to the bottom.
Another item on the main menu is "Receiver Adapters" where you can find all sorts of adpaters including a DR200 adpapter.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.

When I visited riflestocks.com a little while ago, all I saw at the bottom of the AK/Daewoo page was a skeletonized rear stock.  I was really looking for a solid stock.

Also, I was unclear about the necessity of replacing the hammer and sear as the last picture seems to insinuate.

Needless to say, I'm a tad confused.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Needless to say, I'm a tad confused.

Okay, well this may or may not help, but here goes.

Back in 1968 there was a law enacted that said (among lots of other things) that firearms could not be imported unless they were for sporting purposes.

In 1989 George Bush Sr. issued an executive order that ordered ATF to become much more strict in their definition of "sporting" where assault rifles are concerned.  That is why all of the FALs, AKs, and other cool rifles started being sold with the ugly thumbhole stocks.

Not long after that, Congress put the law 922(r) on the books which says that it is illegal to use imported parts to build a weapon in a configuration that ATF wouldn't allow to be imported as a complete rifle.  For a year or two after that things were all over the place.  Some people said that using even one imported part would be illegal, some said that even one domestic made part would make it legal.  Finally ATF issued a directive saying that a weapon is considered imported so long as no more than a certain number of 'major parts' are imported.  What that means is that if you reduce the number of foreign made parts on your rifle then it will be considered a domestic rifle no matter where the receiver was built.  And if it's 'domestic' then you don't have to worry about keeping it 'suitable for sporting purposes'.

On the DR200, you have to replace the stock and pistol grip obviously.  Then if you replace the hammer and trigger with USA made parts then you'll be okay so long as you don't use foreign magazines.  That means that US military surplus mags and regular Thermolds are okay.  Orlites (Israeli), Thermolds with a maple leaf (Canadian) and any other foreign AR mags such as the metal Sterling mags or any actual Daewoo mags are not legal to use.

For more info on keeping your Daewoo legal with a pistol grip stock, you can start here: www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter25.txt -fixed the link
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for taking the time to provide your lengthy reply.  I'm still digesting it.

Upon first blush, it's this sentence below which sounds kinda...well...er...a...nutty to me.

if you replace the hammer and trigger with USA made parts then you'll be okay so long as you don't use foreign magazines.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thank you for taking the time to provide your lengthy reply.  I'm still digesting it.

Upon first blush, it's this sentence below which sounds kinda...well...er...a...nutty to me.

if you replace the hammer and trigger with USA made parts then you'll be okay so long as you don't use foreign magazines.

I just fixed the link in my earlier post.  Put the wrong tags on it.

The important quote from the link is:

Title 27 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Section 178.39 states
that no person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun
using more than 10 of the imported parts listed below if the
assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925
(d) (3).  For the purposes of this section, the term "imported
parts" are:

(1)  Frames receivers, receiver castings, forgings, or stampings
(2)  Barrels
(3)  Barrel Extensions
(4)  Mounting blocks (trunnions)
(5)  Muzzle attachments
(6)  Bolts
(7)  Bolt carriers
(8)  Operating rods
(9)  Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
                             - 2 -

(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

For the purposes of 27 CFR Section 178.39(c), the Daewoo DR 200
semiautomatic rifle contains items numbered (1), (2), (3), (5),
(6), (7), (8), (9), (11), (12), (14), (15), and (17).  Exchanging
the thumbhole stock with a fixed shoulder stock and separate pistol
grip would be in violation of 18 U.S.C. Section 922(r) if the
firearm was assembled using more than 10 of the above listed
imported parts.

So according to that letter from the ATF, the DR200 has 13 parts not counting the magazine parts.  When you replace the buttstock with one made in teh USA you are down to 12 foreign parts.  When you replace the hammer, trigger and disconnector with domestic parts you are down to only 9 foriegn parts and the weapon is now legally considered to be a 'domestically manufactured firearm' so far as this law is concerned and you don't have to worry about keeping it suitable for sporting purposes.  But the magazine contains a mag body, a floorplate and a follower so it counts as 3 parts under this law, which means that if you insert a foriegn magazine into the Daewoo then the number of foreign parts is back up to 12 and you're not legal anymore.

There are some other options if you target other parts.  For example, you have the 'muzzle attachment' on the Daewoo replaced with a regular brake or flash hider and find some replacement handguards then you'll be down to 10 parts even with a foreign magazine.

If yoy think this is bad, rifles like AKs and FALs don't have any domestic magazines available so the original comliance kits included domestic floorplates and followers and your pistol gripped rifle was only legal if you used the magazines with the new parts.  Accidentally grab the wrong magazine and you were committing a federal offense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top