Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 4:57:42 PM EDT
Hello one and all,

Looked at a Robinson M-96 carbine the other day and thougth it was pretty nice looking rifle  !!

"Everyone" claims it is a better rifle/carbine than the AR-15.

So . . . .

does anyone have one of these rifles or carbines ? ?  Not "I handled one once" or "I almost shot one one time" but really own and shoot one ? ? ?

Reliable ?   Ammo used ??  Uses AR mags ? ?    Really better than the AR ? ? ?

Any other opinions / ideas ? ?

Thanks  ! !

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one for a while. I liked the trigger, low recoil and overall impression of sturdiness I got from it. I also got an upgraded gas piston for it and a "recon" carbine conversion. What really fascinated me about it was the idea of swapping to shorter barrels and gas systems. It would have been the ultimate blaster with the ability to swap to use AK magazines and ammo, a version that was once in the works. Plus adding a flash hider and side folding stock when the ban expires? Awesome! One design could have improved on and replaced two designs (AR,AK) in my collection. But that caliber conversion is not going to happen now, too bad really.
www.biggerhammer.net/m96/
there is a forum about M96's here
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:54:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Hello Matt . .

You said you "had" one -- -

like you don't have it now -- correct ? ?

Can I ask why you sold (?) it ? ?

Any real advantage over an AR  ? ?

Thanks  ! !

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Any real advantage over an AR  ? ?

Thanks  ! !

Gas piston!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Once the caliber conversion idea did not work out I lost most interest. I sold that and a bunch of other stuff so I could have some money again, but I still have a nice M1 and M1903A3. The M96 has the heavy bolt carrier and piston, that made cleaning quite easy and never had any jams.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
 The M96 is a damn good system that slowly is getting better and better.  If you are looking for something other than an AR for fun and experimentation then I reccommend one...but if you don't have an AR get one of those first.

It's a very reliable gun and very accurate....cleaning is nice because the gas piston system soaks up the crap...the gun points like a dream, too.

DO NOT buy a used M96.  Being a fairly new weapon and being made by a small company the earlier M96's have certain, early design flaws and lack in certain features.  This is to be expected of fully new products from anyone.  Many of these problems have been cured in the newest guns. As I have said, they keep getting better.

Here's mine:

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one, M96 recon. it's heavier than an AR, but as accurate as I need it to be, Has never launched a barrel, and runs without a hiccup, good customer service from RA. It's almost kind of boring, low recoil, hits what I aim at, runs clean. People will piss and moan about it and the company, but I have had no issues at all.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO, the "bren gun" setup is the coolest part of that gun.

Whatever happened to the belt fed version? Did that die?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#8]

If they ever release a belt-fed or a 7.62x39, I'll buy that, too. Currently considering the new recon fluted barrel setup, which is basically the top feed barrel reconfigured for bottom feed use.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:28:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would have the Bren gun version in a second but I think they are way over priced.  I have shot them before and loved it.  Not for over 2K though.

I paid under $1800 for my first NIB M96 which was the rifle plus the top feed conversion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would have the Bren gun version in a second but I think they are way over priced.  I have shot them before and loved it.  Not for over 2K though.

I paid under $1800 for my first NIB M96 which was the rifle plus the top feed conversion.

DAMN...that's a great price!!  I got mine for 1350 NIB.  I broke the bolt at about 8,000 rounds but RA sent me a new, improved improved bolt within five days....great service.  Mind you I treat this gun like shit and even with the busted bolt and the gun being dirty the friggin' thing still ran.  I have NO idea how...but it did.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
$1,800 is still far too high for a semi-auto rifle like this.  Sorry.  No reason for it to cost more than an AR.

Sell as many M-96's as you sell AR's and the price would come down. Quality ARs from folks like Armalite still sell for ~ $850, with specialty guns costing more. so $1800 for the M-96 rifle and the top feed kit together, isn't a bad deal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
But there just isn't any way that it could be considered "better" than an AR15, for a whole bunch of reasons.
-Troy

And why not? What are the 'bunch' of reasons one would not even consider it better then an AR15?

By the way, the gun lists for $1599.00 so, you shouldn't be paying $1800 for it anyway. They can be had for well under the list price as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#16]
waaaa, waaaa. too much?  DON'T BUY IT

or GET BOTH
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:47:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:53:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#19]
OK, you want to know some more reasons why the AR15 is better than the M96...

The M96 costs more, weights more, and the AR15 can do everything the M96 can do as far as barrel configuration except for top feed which is an outdated concept anyway.

The AR15 is the more ergonomic rifle.  It has better placement of the safety, bolt realease, and grip.

Don't give me this shit about a dirty direct gas system in the AR15.  If there was a problem with it do you think the 10+ compaines making AR15s over the last 40 years would have changed something?  Why haven't gas piston AR15 uppers caught on with AR15 owners?  The bottom line is the soldier will run out of ammo way before the rifle is dirty enough to jam.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I will not even unzip my fly for this pissing match about which is better, but the handguard accepts standard AR under forearm rail, so you can add a vertical grip, add a rail side mout adapter for your weaponlight, and I have an upper rail for optics. Next purchase for me is RA's new long top rail with BUIS. I will add an aimpoint when I free up some spare cash. That's all I will do, as I like this rifle just plain, in fact I removed the vertical grip and rail for now, running it 'stock' if you will. I hope someone makes an adapter to make the stock a folder, after the ban sunsets, and possibly have the brake cut off and an SPR type brake added like the RAV02 has. FWIW I have 2 AR carbines too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a m-96 and it's a good gun. Very accurate. I bought it years ago and it's one of the first ones. the only problem I had was when I fired a lot of Wolf ammo. I've mentioned in another thread but here goes, the laquer the put on the steel cases melted and then stuck to a casing and it wouldn't eject, then it wouldn't feed. it was a pain in the ass. the customer service was great with the company. The only reason I bought it was they were talking about a belt feed conversion. I doubt it will happen but who knows. I just can't wait for the ban to sunset. then I'm going to have a friend make a stock adapter for an ar collapsible stock and throw on a flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#23]
If/when the M96 is available in an after-the-ban-sunsets version with flash hider & folding stock, in caliber 6.8mm...I'M BUYING!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:00:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So by that logic - the more gadgets you can put on it makes it better - my Honda accord is a better vehicle than 90% of the cars out there.  Especially since those stupid movies came out and every punk in the country is adding crap to a small low end car to make it look like it did in the movie.

I think this argument is the most elitest, snobbish, BS arguement I have ever heard. Ones opinion that one gun is better for A-B&C reasons is not fact for all.

Learn to use the weapon before you ad the crap to it.   Gadgets do not make up for training, pratice and more practice.

THIS IS A MAN AFTER MY VERY OWN, ICY COLD HEART!!!!  God bless you , good sir!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top