Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 6:14:39 PM EDT
Well I'm moving next July and I was going to look for a place that I can set up a mini-firing range on my own property. Unfortunately I can't get anything will substantial land. I'm figuring at best I will have a backyard in the range between 150x150yards to 300x300yards. Hopefully with a privacy fence and distant neighbors, hopefully rural..most likely not.

I figure a nice burn (mound) supported by cinder-blocks would do the tick. I would be firing sub-sonic 9mm, 50yards and I would also look into getting a silencer.

Off the top of my head I already think there are laws in place against discharging firearms within city limits. Anything else I need to know, please chip in.

Thanks
Jack Corbic
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discharging a firearm within a predetermined distance of another house or a school usually, 500 feet.
Burying all that lead in the ground close to a water source or environmentally sensitive area.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
500 FEET? WOW, here I was thinking 5,000 meters for stuff like that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#4]
DO NOT advestise your project as a "range" or you may run the risk of being fined due to the BS stance many counties are now adopting that "gun ranges" in essence are "disposal areas" thus subject to strict EPA regulations .

Just simply ask local LE what the laws are regarding the discharge of a firearm and stick to that.  This is what kept me from building my own "range" in my backyard, which is plenty big.  I don't have a gun range...wish I did.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Gottcha, shooting varment on my property then.. even if they are paper.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Legality of firing a gun in your backyard?

Depends on where you live. Here in Indiana, if you live outside of city limits it is okay. You just don't want to shoot towards any houses.

I live in a rural area with no homes behind me for miles. I walk out beside the house and fire off my M16 with no worries.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I love Indiana.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#8]
If the neighbors start complaining I would think they'll get the county involved and shut you down. When Brad Nelson of Lightfighter (an Industry Partner here) set up his range out in the middle of nowhere that's what happened to him. The neighbors went to the county and no more range.

Sounds like you are planning on being pretty quiet about it so as long as the projos stay where you put them and if you get along with the neighbors you'll probably be ok.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I figure a nice burn (mound) supported by cinder-blocks would do the tick. I would be firing sub-sonic 9mm, 50yards and I

Just a FYI, that would be "berm"
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a related question,  can you be /arrested/ for violating a city ordinance, or only fined?  That is to say, cities don't have the same power to make "laws" (ie arrestable offenses) that state governments do, do they?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#11]
This is why Jesus gave us suppressors.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This is why Jesus gave us suppressors.

Yes.

Buddy of mine from work saved up and bought land out in the sticks so he could shoot behind the house.
Did it for a while, and then somebody new moved in nearby. He didn't like it, called the cops (who my buddy knows, and has shot with on many times, so nothing happened).

So my buddy has a can on order. You can't complain about what you can't hear.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I love Indiana.

Check your Instant Messages.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in a rural area and shoot too.   I mostly shoot a .22, but sometimes my ar15 and shotgun.  I try  my best not to shoot when they neighbors are partying or on a day that the sound tavels far.  If it's windy out, I'll shoot.  Basically, I try my best not to annoy my neighbors

although one time my neighbors kids were running their 4-wheelers up and down the road and I was shooting my ar15 then.  I had some ammo I wanted to get rid of and I wanted to see how fast I could pull the trigger and keep the hits on the target 20 feet away.  that was dumb of me...could of waited till they were done.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love Indiana.

Check your Instant Messages.

Wow, I didnt even know this fourm has IM, thanks... got some other messages I never saw
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I live in a farming community in Northeast Pennsylvania. As you can imagine, almost everyone has at least half a dozen rifles. I hear gunshots all the time. My neighbor on the right has a range on the side of his house. The bench is literally three feet away from the road.  My neighbor on the left has a shotgun range. I absolutely love it!! I myself has enough real estate to establish a small 22 rimfire range. However, I would not do it for we rely on well-water. Don't want to contaminate H2O. Long live the 2nd amendment and God Bless the USA!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well I'm moving next July and I was going to look for a place that I can set up a mini-firing range on my own property. Unfortunately I can't get anything will substantial land. I'm figuring at best I will have a backyard in the range between 150x150yards to 300x300yards. Hopefully with a privacy fence and distant neighbors, hopefully rural..most likely not.

I figure a nice burn (mound) supported by cinder-blocks would do the tick. I would be firing sub-sonic 9mm, 50yards and I would also look into getting a silencer.

Off the top of my head I already think there are laws in place against discharging firearms within city limits. Anything else I need to know, please chip in.

Thanks
Jack Corbic

Highly variable by state & municipality...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't worry about the legality as much as the liability. Send a stray in the wrong direction and you'll be hatin' it; your homeowner underwriter would probably dump you like a leper.

That said, think about investing in a suppressor. In fact, just plan on it. Construct a good backstop and don't openly discuss with your neighbors that you're discharging firearms on your property. I live in a city and I routinely shoot suppressed .22 rimfires and have shot a 9mm subgun in my backyard -- all suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:52:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Buy enough 4' conduit to make an underground tunnel. Bury it, use some angled steel plate to deflect and catch the rounds at the end, and build a "shoot house" at one end. Ventilate well, and your neighbors will never know you have a full range in your yard, and safety is taken care of.

That'll be $5 for solving your problem please. Pay the cashier.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I love Indiana.

that goes for me too!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top