Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2004 10:32:29 PM EDT
I was shooting with my friend a couple of days ago and he brought his 22 rimfire rifle. He asked me how to get the rust off his barrel. I dont have a clue. I've only owned a ar for a short amount of time and thats all the gun experience I have. His barrel didnt feel like mine, if you scratch your nail down it, its smooth and a black blue color. The barrel had specks of brown spots on it, you could scrape some off with your fingernail. Is there anything out there that removes this and how do you do it?? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If the rust isn't too bad I believe you can use fine steel wool on it and it won't remove the blueing.  That's what I use on my C & R rifles.  Somebody else on here might want to back me up on this.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#2]
You hear references to 0000 steel wool and gun oil.

I'd sure use a light touch.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
If the rust isn't too bad I believe you can use fine steel wool on it and it won't remove the blueing.  That's what I use on my C & R rifles.  Somebody else on here might want to back me up on this.

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had rust problems as well.  I took a fresh kitchen sponge, the ones with one side that is a little ruff, and used gun scrubber and scrubbed until I saw no more rust.  I touched up with new some blue where needed, let dry and cleaned with CLP.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Eraser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top