Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2004 8:50:27 PM EDT
As I amass more and more guns, I find myself more concerned about taking care of my investments. I break them all down and clean them once every 3-4 months. Unfortunately, I've noticed what appears to be oxidation coming off when I wipe down certain ones. I have a Savage rifle, a Beretta shotgun, and a Mossberg shotgun that always do this. I have never seen this with some of my other guns such as Glock, HK, Bushmaster, etc.

What else can I do?

They are stored in a safe with desiccant bags. I wipe them off with Breakfree CLP after I touch them.  

What do you guys think about those silicone impregnated gun socks?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I use an electronic dehumidifier in my safe and have never had a rust problem. I also do the same as you--if I happen to touch metal, I oil it down before returning it to my safe. When someone wants to view my collection, I'll instruct them when handing a firearm to them to please try to handle it by a non-metal part. Oils from human hands can quickly attack certain firearms finishes, especially bluing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#2]
NO BAGS, SOCKS, or any other such covering.  These actually promote rust, since they tend to prevent the free flow of air.

The grand champion rust proofing method, is to put your guns in special "hard" plastic bags, wrapped with Vapor-Paper.

The bags are special plastic that won't pass moisture, and the Vapor-Paper  gives off a vapor that totally prevents rust.

This is how the military and industry now protect metal.  The vapor paper prevents rust, and the gun or part can be taken out of the bag and put into service without any degreasing.

The bags and paper can be bought from Brownell's.
http://www.brownells.com

As above, also buy a "Golden Rod" type de-humidifier device for your safe.

Either change the desiccant bags often, or better still GET RID OF THEM.  Once they get saturated, they can actually cause rust.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I'm fortunate because of the kind and temperate climate of where I live, but I've NEVER had a problem with rust...............not even a little bit.   FWIW, I put some guns in the "hard plastic" 6 mil (mil spec) bags described above (but without the vapor paper), I put some in the silicone impregnated socks, and some (the ones that are my NIB collectibles) I have simply in the factory box they came in, enclosed in a case with four large dessicant bags.  I check the dessicant bags every couple/three months, and they feel as if I just put them in there; i.e., no saturation/moisture weight gain whatsoever.  YMMV.  Good luck with whatever you chose.  I know this can, and has been, a harrowing topic for many.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
After you put a rust preservative on the most exposed metal parts you can, you can put them in one of these:  natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=KBRIL219
The smaller vci bags have worked well for me for everything metal.  The rifle bag doesn't have a zip loc closer, like the smaller ones, so you have to use a "chip clip" or tape to keep it closed and it takes up a lot of room, because it's hard to get all the air out of it.  Haven't had anything rust in a vci bag yet. Then, get one of these to stick in the bag too, store.nrafoundation.org/foundation/products.aspx?cat=Emmitters and/or put one of those dessicant bags in with the gun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

I'm assuming these "VCIs" are completely safe with all firearms?

This certainly seems like the thing to use if so.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

I'm assuming these "VCIs" are completely safe with all firearms?

This certainly seems like the thing to use if so.

They seem to be, in my experience.  I use them in tackle boxes too, but I make sure the emmitter itself isn't touching anything.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Move to AZ.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I very well may join you in the future!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top