Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2004 9:59:35 PM EDT
I'd like to have a .223 for a "beater" rifle; any opinions on which of these two would be less bad?

I know the SU-16 is made out of plastic, so let's get over that...question is, how does it compare to the Mini?
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I know you can use AR mags in the SU-16, dont know about the quality of the rifle though.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]
can't speak for the SU-16, but the mini is one of the most durable rifles made. stainless mini with synthetic stock is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had a couple of Mini 14's and I now have a SU-16. The Mini's never were very accurate, but did always work and would most likely hold up to abuse or hard use better than the SU-16. The SU-16 is defineitly more accurate, but I think its purpose is more "special use" and is not meant to be used as a beater type rifle. A back pack or truck, car, boat, or plane gun thats always there and ready to go, I think is more its purpose in life. If you can deal with the Mini's so-so accuracy, I think you'd be better served with it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
AR180B, or a CAV15.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
you can put together a AR with used parts from the EE for pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]
hey look I am excited I have a pic below my user name now. Woohoo but it is only in this thread?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, so the mini and the SU-16 are the only choices for a semi-auto .223 available to me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've had a couple of Mini 14's and I now have a SU-16. The Mini's never were very accurate, but did always work and would most likely hold up to abuse or hard use better than the SU-16. The SU-16 is defineitly more accurate, but I think its purpose is more "special use" and is not meant to be used as a beater type rifle. A back pack or truck, car, boat, or plane gun thats always there and ready to go, I think is more its purpose in life. If you can deal with the Mini's so-so accuracy, I think you'd be better served with it.

I love reviews when then can personally compare them side by side!

Good job AK!!!!!

[clap]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top