Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 6:02:43 PM EDT
I've been looking at new calibers for the Encore, and I've become interested in some of the slightly more exotic .224's.
I've done some reading on all of them, but I've never spoken to anyone who had owned and or fired one of them.
If you load, shoot, or otherwise have any experience with them, I'm looking for testamonials.
I'm looking for a paper puncher/light varmint shooter... but mainly, I'm looking for something a little bit different.

Oh... and Merry Christmas to all.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
on an Encore, I'd give serious thought to a 22BR with an 8 twist for 69 to 77 grain bullets.
6BR brass is plentiful and loading it is relatively staright forward.
On an old style contender, the Firball or 22K-hornet or 218 Mashburn Bee are great.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The 218 Bee is an interesting cartridge.  My grandad used to poach deer with it because it is so quiet.  It is accurate and would certaily be adequate for most varmints.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies-
the .22 BR and .218 Bee are ones that you don't hear about a lot. If I remember correctly, Mashburn's version is something like an Ackley .218 Bee, right?
As far as the BR goes- when starting with 6mm BR brass, is it sufficient to run the brass through a .22 BR sizer and trim, or are there some intermediate steps?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The Mashburn is a sharp shoulder improved version.
The Dies do the worm in one step on the 22BR.
I have a 25" Rem. in 22BR that shoots in the .2z and .3z.
Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top