Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2003 5:21:16 AM EDT
Like a dummy I traded my M1 Garand in to offset the cost of a new firearm. Anyway I want to get another one. I was wondering what to look ou for.
Are the Century Garands any good? How about Springfield Armory? Or should I stick to a USGI gun? The numbers don`t need to match, as I just want this a s a shooter. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, order one from the CMP.  It's easy to qualify and the rifles are so good that I can't imagine getting one any other way.

They may not be as pretty as the 'new' production ones, but authentic CMP rifles were carried into battle by American soldiers defending their country.  You can't say that about the ones from Springfield or CAI.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll second the comments made above.  There is no reason to get anything other than a true USGI rifle.

BTW, if you want to spiff up your Garand, send it to Dean's Gun Restorations. www.dgrguns.com/  I've had him do a couple of my own Garands, and was very impressed with his work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Compared to a rebuilt GI Garand sold by Funton Armory or Orion7 the new Springfield is not a good deal and only an idiot would pay almost $1,000 for a mass produced POS built on a cast reciever when Fulton will sell you a Garand built one at a time by a master armorer on a real USGI reciever with all new or guaged new USGI parts for $1,079.

Also one can get a really nice piece of history and a good shooter from the CMP for about $500.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#5]
CMP

CMP

Did I mention the CMP?

I was in your situation 2 years ago.  I went thru CMP and never looked back.  Excellent rifles.  Workmanship that is not seen in the copies like CAI or SA Inc.  See this thread and my reply for more info.www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=172625
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top