Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2003 6:52:40 AM EDT
Somebody (Ed Vanden Berg, I believe) is now selling free float handguards for the FAL.  I'm certainly no expert, but I've never heard of anyone getting better than 2-3 MOA from an FAL, so free float handguards would seem like putting lipstick on a pig.  Am I wrong here?  Does someone produce an FAL with match level accuracy?

Somebody educate this old dog.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
DSA has been selling a floated gun or two for quite some time.  I also recently saw a link where they were getting just over 1 MOA at 100 yards with some of their new barrels.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one on my Entreprise Target FAL. I don't know if it does any good or not, I still haven't checked accuracy on it.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have one on my Entreprise Target FAL. I don't know if it does any good or not, I still haven't checked accuracy on it.

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=22899&iGalleryUnq=1048&iImageUnq=17158

What do you think of it in terms of heat resistance/dissipation and weight?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=22899&iGalleryUnq=1048&iImageUnq=17158

What do you think of it in terms of heat resistance/dissipation and weight?

I don't know. Despite having it close to 2 years, it has been shot very little. Mostly due to the fact that it suffers some sort of timing (I am told) issue that makes it shoot WAY right.

I am too damn lazy (and cheap) to get it fixed so it has sat in my safe. Although, it's looking like I might get something done to it in the near future.

I like it well enough, but I kinda wish I had a handguard that would allow me to mount a bipod.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#5]

I like it well enough, but I kinda wish I had a handguard that would allow me to mount a bipod.
Have you tried Brownell's? I've seen a FF rail handguard in their catalog; then all you'd need would be the adaptor.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Have you tried Brownell's? I've seen a FF rail handguard in their catalog; then all you'd need would be the adaptor.

Actually, I meant that I'd rather have one that mounts a FAL bipod, like what is normally on them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I meant that I'd rather have one that mounts a FAL bipod, like what is normally on them.

You would also need a barrel with the bipod cut.  Just replacing the handguards won't do it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I also recently saw a link where they were getting just over 1 MOA at 100 yards with some of their new barrels.

I have a SA58 Carbine.
When I was sighting it in, I had the gun on sand bags, and was able to put three rounds almost touching at 100 yards, it measured around 3/4 of an inch. Needless to say I was a very happy camper.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#9]
The float tube on a FAL serves the same purpose as the one on an AR.

It allows a rifleman to use a sling without sling pressure bending the barrel and sending your zero and accuracy to hell.

The barrel mounted bipod on the FAL is designed for substained fire in combat and it completly destroys accuracy just like sling pressure does if your sling is attached to the barrel. Only an idiot would mount a bipod on the barrel IF he could mount it on the float tube.

These are facts known to riflemen but not understood by sandbaggers.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Cornbread, you've got some pretty bizarre ideas there.  Who would have thought the free float tube on the FAL served the same purpose as the one on the AR?  Imagine that.

Of course, these are facts known to you, but not to the rest of us.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Shootist,

The VandenBerg free float HG's are designed to be used with Ed's heavy barrel conversion, not the original barrel profiles.

And as far as accuracy goes, 3/4-1 moa is not unusual with Ed's HB FAL's.

If you are good enough, you can shoot the lipstick off the pig with one.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top