Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 2:19:24 PM EDT
I have grown tired of carrying a .270 long action..I been looking at one of the new Rem model 7 in 300 SAUM or standard .308.I got a new LTR in the spring in .223 and I have kept this as a option..anyone shoot the 300 short ultra mag....thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to know how this rounds shoots also, if possible how does it compare to the 300WSM?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The case was shortened to fit it into the Model 7. If you had a M700 length action you could load the bullet out farther and equal the WSM. Don't waste your time, I think it will fall by the wayside.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought the same thing ,about it being a fad..
I looked at all the standard long action loadings and like the .270& 25/06...I was not impresed with the gamot of new wonder bullets(.223 WSSM/.243WSSM/7mmSAUM/300SAUM)...I figure a good ol short action 243,7mm/08,or.308 .would be a much better choice but some of the local gun dealers talk up the short ultra mag..I just wanted to run it past some of the guru's here...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 270 WSM, as does one of my buddies.  A number of my friends have bought the 300 WSM.  The WSMs in general seem to be selling well, but I have never seen a RSAUM.  The WSMs have the potential for more velocity if you handload (about 100 fps).  I doubt the RSAUMs can get the velocity they advertise without having pressure problems.  All the Remington Ultra Mags seem to have a lot of blue sky in their velocity advertising.

I like the 270 WSM.  The recoil is only a little worse than a 30-06, and it has a the same trajectory as a 300 Wby or 300 Ultra Mag.  With handloads and 130 grain bullets, I can get 3290 fps.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:37:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Go to www.shortmags.org lots of info. MIKE.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, only a 200 fps advantage out of my good old 270 Wichester with a 22" barrel. Not worth a new purchase. And I have some hot but safe handloads that will near 3200 fps! Not much of an advantage. Lets see you stop in a gas station out west and find a box of that short Mag stuff on the shelf. You WILL find a box of good old 270 !
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wow, only a 200 fps advantage out of my good old 270 Wichester with a 22" barrel. Not worth a new purchase. And I have some hot but safe handloads that will near 3200 fps! Not much of an advantage. Lets see you stop in a gas station out west and find a box of that short Mag stuff on the shelf. You WILL find a box of good old 270 !

Like I said, the WSMs are selling well here and you can find the ammo about anywhere.  Its true that you would be crazy to buy a 270 WSM if you already have a 270 Win.  With factory loads and same-length barrels, there is only a 225 fps difference.  That increases your point blank range only by about 7%.  Twenty or thirty yards maybe.

I'll take your word for it that you can get 3200 fps out of 270 Win with a 22" barrel and your "hot but safe" loads.  That is way beyond anything you'll find in any reloading manual. At least from a publisher who is able to obtain insurance.  I have not pushed beyond the limits in the same way with my WSM, so I can't really how fast it would be gong after exceeding maximum pressures.

The advantage of having a short action might be moot, depending upon what rifle you buy.  The short action on my Model 70 is pretty damned long, just a fraction less than a long action.  Some of the other manufacturers might be different.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Go to www.shortmags.org lots of info. MIKE.

tagged for later
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:54:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I was all hyped up for a short mag until I went to WWW.shortmags.org and found out the small difference between the 270 WSM and the 270 Winchester for example. If you are a handloader and don't have a 270 then it might be worth it but if you have one in the safe then it is hard to justify. I went to the other side of the spectrum this year and bought two rifles, both Remington 7600's, one carbine in 35 Remington and the other a rifle in 35 Whelen. MIKE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top