Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2003 2:48:14 PM EDT
I was looking at the M17S bullpup rifle today, and I thought that it looked like a decent gun. What do you guys think about it?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The M-17S is a good gun.  An M-17S that has been through Kurt's Kustom Firearms is awsome:
KKF   A KKF M-17 is a great weapon, and it looks damn cool too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't do it.

Want a Ruger - get a mini-14

Want an "assault rifle" - get an AR

Want a gun that you won't be able to get rid of at a break even price, and most likely lose $$ on. - go ahead and get the Bullpup.

The views expressed by the poster are soley the property of the poster and have been skewed by 4 16oz beers - just being honest.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Why don't you like the M-17 Xanadu?  I'm a fan of it because it's compact, doesn't get dirty, and has good balistics because of its longer barrel.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#4]
 I, too, am NOT a fan of the bull pup rifle.  The action is too close to the face the triggers are lousy, and tactically they are REALLLLLLYYY slow on the reload.........

BUT

If you don't mind the action being close to your face, if you are using it as a GP shooter/truck gun and enjoy the bull pup design.....hell, go for it.

I'll be honest, I have even though of playing around with one myself....just for giggles.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why don't you like the M-17 Xanadu?

Well, since you asked, and please realize that this is just My Humble Opinion...

It's a Wannabe AR, wishing to be an AUG,

Has almost no parts interchangeability with anything other than another M17,

Has crummy resale value,

To recap (since you asked)... For the price of an M17, you can get a REAL AR15 that will hold it's value over time, has phenominal parts interchangability & modification potential and is a REAL Mil-Style rifle.

I really only need these 3 reasons - but hey you asked!

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Bullpups are uglier than Madeline Albright.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#9]
IMO, that bullpup is the most ugly thing i've ever seen. But looks don't affect how it works, so if ya like it, get it!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Before and After KKF

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I think they're cool and would like one in my safe.  I wouldn't own one however, unless it was done over by KKF.  I think the factory set up is terrible.  However, vent the handguards, lower the optics platform, add a fore grip, threaded barrel and a BUIS, and I think it's a wicked piece of gear.

Given a choice over my AR...I'd stick with my AR.  But my opinion of the M17s...is that the factory built model is a bullpup at 75%.  A KKF treated M17s is a 100% gun.

As for resale value... I guess if you were looking to sell it.... yeah I see the concern.  But why would you buy a tactical firearm just to get rid of it?  My 2 cents.

Cheers,

H
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I like my 17S.  I concur with others that the rifle could be so much more, ala KKF.

You have to respect the barrel length.  Also, I got mine when I had an arm injury that made it difficult to support the forend on my HBAR.  While the M17S may be not be a lightweight, you can shoot it quite reliably with only the right arm supporting.

I slapped an Eotech on it and it is reasonably fast.  Not M4 fast, but quick enough.

Although it is somewhat cheaper than the standard HBAR, you have to figure in the other costs.  There is really no sight so figure on $300 for a quality reddot optic and figure at least spending $100 and a loooooooong time KKF.  You absolutely have to get a foregrip.  After one mag on semi rapid fire, I can barely hold it due to the heat.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#13]
very good points
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I hated the gases coming up in my eye. Plus the trigger was VERY bad. I liked the operating system though. Mine was reliable. Had mine before I got an AR15 and after comparing them I liked the AR much better.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#15]
How much does Kurt cost?

If they don't hold their value, I would love to buy a used one.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I have several and love them.  Would I get rid of my ARs and only keep the M17s?  Never.  But, I have used M17s in rifle matches and have done very well...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top