Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2003 6:47:06 PM EDT
Just wanted to say that i had a chance to handle a CX4 at the gun store today and wanted to post my impression of it, as there seems to be a lot of in this weapon.  While the majority of the weapon is molded of polymer, the gun felt very solid.  It is very ergonomic, and although the looks are tad too space age for some people it does shoulder and point very nice.  Sights are alright; rear aperture and a thin front post.  It had the under-barrel retractable picatinny rail which i briefly tried to extend but couldn't figure it out.  Bolt release and mag release were all perfectly placed and the mag dropped out easily.  Tag Price was $629, a bit on the high side for a 9 mil. carbine in my opinion.  These'd have to be going for 500 or less for me to open the wallet on this one, othewise i'd just get a sub2000.  Yes, it's a little less refined, but this is just a 9mm carbine.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
you're right.....way overpriced for a 9MM carbine, you can almost buy another ar15 for that price..........and a mini-14 only costs around $519 and outclasses a 9MM carbine so much it is ridiculous.......
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep hearing that more than $500 for a 9mm carbine is too expensive.  I'm curious, who else offers anything in the civilian market that compares to the Cx4?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I keep hearing that more than $500 for a 9mm carbine is too expensive.  I'm curious, who else offers anything in the civilian market that compares to the Cx4?

You can get a 9MM upper for your AR or 2 Kel-Tec sub2000s for that (and have a gun that folds in half, which is +10000 Gee Whiz Factor). You can get a Hi-Point carbine for like $200, but Im not sure they compare
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Nobody really offers antying that compares to the CX4 short of maybe a 9mm AR. Hi Point, Kel Tec, Ruger PC9, and that's about it for lower cost carbines.  Still, you've gott think- yeah you can mount all those expensive niceys on the CX4, but is it really worth all that extra money to through a EOTech or m6 on a 9mm!  Remember, i was looking at one for 629- that's a lot of dough in my opinion, especially for a weapon that has rather limited practical applications.  for 500, possibly.  400?  Yeah, i'd pay the extra C-note over a sub2000 for all those rails.  But other than that, what are you really getting?  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
$600 is the price of a decent handgun. There isn't anything for under $1000 that even comes close to a CX4.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
It appears there is great differences of opinion...as I assumed there would be.

My thought is that the KelTec and others are of subpar quality.  The comment that there is nothing that compares under $1000 - I think is fair.

I already have the AR (.223) - DSA58 (.308) and others.  It seems to me that most non-hunting rifles have "limited" applications or better stated..."specific" applications.

I am not saying that some choices are more flexible, it seems nice to have one for every situation.  :)

Beretta may have some mixed reviews depending on who you talk to...but my guess is that it will prove to be a better choice than a "cheapo" carbine.

Oh, and the mini-14 is about as useless (read: inaccurate as hell) as they come.  Save your extra bucks and get a Bushmaster!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#8]
In retrospect maybe around $600 aint' too bad; as Oslow said, it's about the price you pay for a decent handgun....maybe even considerably less, these days.  Application is still a bit limited for the MSRP, IMHO...
I need a .308 MBR before i pony up the cash for any more "fun guns" tho...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:49:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Obviously if you need a rifle you won't grab the CX4 or the 9mm AR. The CX4 is a house gun, or maybe a yard gun. It isn't going to replace your AR-15 or your .308 sniper rifle. It could replace a pistol though and would make a nice weapon for the lady of the house.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#11]
If you compare the price of the CX4 to a nice Beretta PISTOL(S.S.92FS or Elite) then I don't see the price being that much out of line as long as the quality equals or betters their pistols.
It's just another option for CQB and I welcome it.
Some departments may not have the deep pockets to equipt themselves with HKs,but may be able to afford the CX4s and they will still be well armed for CQB(even though I would still want a rifle caliber weapon available if needed).
Think about what the retail price of a good quality HK mp5 would be in semi-auto only.
I'd bet the HK would be outragously priced.
I've shot both the MP5 and 92FS and they both have comparable quality,which appears quite good IMHO.
The HKs have a pretty "spongy" trigger and do wear just like any other machine.
They're not some mysterious,magical death ray that transforms is handler into some unstoppable killing machine(but they are a hoot to shoot).
So,long story short I hope the CX4 takes off and doe's well for Beretta and the people who purchase this carbine (I hope to be one of them).
Only time will tell.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I finally saw a CX4 yesterday. All I can say if I didn`t have a Colt M4 on layaway the CX4 would be on layaway.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I own one, I paid 569 for mine.  Compared to a Kel-tec or Hi-point it is light years ahead. I emailed Beretta, they replied promptly and addressed my questions clearly, the feel the polymer parts of the weapon should last into the "tens of thousands of rounds".

30 round mags are available for under 20 dollars, hi-caps are cheap and it shot a 50 round one hole group at 25 yds in the "X" ring of a pistol target. 350 rounds, one malfunction a stove pipe jam early in the range visit.  I used 8 different mags with no problems.

My personal impression, is that "cheapo guns" like the Hi-point are just cheap.  Tell me how your 5K round torture test turns out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I held a CX4 at the gunshow. Grip was too big. Also held a Hi-Point carbine for the first time. I actually like it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't get it.  Compared to an AR its a little shorter weight feels about the same, 15 or 20 rd capacity vs 30, 9mm vs. 5.56 no comparison there, negligable recoil for both.  About the only thing i can see the a 9mm carbine would have over an AR is reduced blast for indoor use.

People seem to be buying them for the lady of the house.  Its that kind of chauvinism that leads to guys buying a .380 for their wives cause a 9mm might be too much.

Now if you want to buy a plinking fun gun and don't mind the price tag it looks fine.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#16]
 I actually shot one at one of our shoots yeserday and I have to admit that I REALLY liked it for what it was.  Points, shoots and handles very very well.  Would I own one?  Nope...I don't personally like plastic weapons but those of you who do would be advised to check out the CX-4...it's pretty cool.  Definitly a great barnyard pest blaster!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Wellll, I bought mine today for $550. I'll let y'all know how it shoots!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Push in the front sling mount and that releases the underside rail...
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked one up yesterday for $549, and shot it some today.  I love it, and it's my new acreage gun.  Light, short, handy, points well, cheap to shoot, and it'll be all I need for around the house and the 2.5 acres I live on.  No, it won't do what a .223 or 7.62x39 will do.  It won't consistantly hit, with authority, past 100 yards.  But theres something the bigger guns can't do that this one can:  Allow me to practice off the back deck with irritationg the living crap out of family members that are in the house.  My ears won't ring if I shoot it without "ears". I can afford to feed it.  A LOT. Sure, the Ar's, AK's, (even SKS's, thank you!) have a place.  But so does my CX4.  And it does it quietly, reliably, and accurately.  (I won't even mention "Class".  Kel-Tec?  Really?)  If I need a bigger gun, I'll grab it from the safe.  I just don't typically need a bigger gun.
(Oh, Howdy!....I'm a new guy!)    
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#20]
All the Keltec's I've handled (3-4 @ gunshows) seem very chintzy.

The Beretta I fondled last week pointed great.  I love the fact it used the same mags as the 92FS (which I own).  It was very solid.  Only thing is the bolt release was a little hard to work since I am left handed.

I'd love to get one,  but you guys who bought them fairly cheap need to talk to the gunshop by me that has one.  They marked it at $730!!!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...(I won't even mention "Class".  Kel-Tec?  Really?)...

Kel-Tec.  Really.

Read the posts here by people who own them & shoot them, not the uninformed ramblings of those who have only "held them at gun shows."  Or read their reviews in any of the reputable firearms magazines, including Gun Tests.  They are not a joke...

That being said, Beretta is the longest continually-operating manufacturer in the world (of ANYTHING, not just firearms), so I am not intimating that the Kel-Tec is of EQUAL quality - just that the disparity is not as great as you (& others) may believe.

All of THAT being said, even though I own a SUB-9 & a SUB-2000, I can't wait to buy a CX4.

... and welcome aboard!  You'll like it here!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I can't say anything about the Beretta, but I can add 2 cents about the Kel-tec... CRAP!  I had one that took beretta mags and the damned thing wouldn't feed more than 1-2 rounds without a FTF or FTE.  Tried 3 different brands of ammo, 3 different magazine types (factory, asian contract, triple K) all to no avail.  I even nursed it along for 60 or so rounds thinking it needed to be broken in.  Oh yeah and if you're a lefty like me get ready for gas and unburnt powder in your face.  I'm saving for the Beretta storm (reversible for a lefty!)
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I can't say anything about the Beretta, but I can add 2 cents about the Kel-tec... CRAP!  I had one that took beretta mags and the damned thing wouldn't feed more than 1-2 rounds without a FTF or FTE.  Tried 3 different brands of ammo, 3 different magazine types (factory, asian contract, triple K) all to no avail.  I even nursed it along for 60 or so rounds thinking it needed to be broken in.  Oh yeah and if you're a lefty like me get ready for gas and unburnt powder in your face.  I'm saving for the Beretta storm (reversible for a lefty!)

My experience has been the opposite of yours, but I have no personal experience with a Beretta-fed Kel-Tec - mine use S&W & Glock mags, respectively.

I will say that I wouldn't consider ANY firearm "broken in" after only 60 rounds - but neither of my K-T carbines required lots of rounds through them to "behave," so maybe the ones using Beretta mags have a problem or maybe you got a lemon.

My apologies for the ongoing hijack, armedteddybear!  Won't happen again...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#24]
My CX4 has done well from the get go, but my son has one of the "new" SKS's available from I/O right now, and it took about 100 rounds before things started settling down. I'd nurse the Kel-Tec along for a few boxes before I'd declare it D.O.A.  While I don't personally care for the styling or apparent quality of them, I've never heard of anyone with any long term reliability issues.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top