Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2003 8:54:19 AM EDT
went to the gun store today and looked at a couple of guns. one was a springfeild 1911 .45 now my question is how come you have to push the mag release button in to load a new mag? is there something i can do to make it so that i can slide it up without pushing the button?

thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#1]
You should not need to push the mag release button to load a new mag.  Maybe the parts need to wear in a bit?  Just slap the mag into the magwell to seat it.  If this does not work then something is wrong.  Since it's a Springfield 1911, then it's likely that there IS something wrong.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
That will get better the more you load the pistol it will wear in.  I got a Operator TRP a while back and after around 500 rounds that problem went away.  When I first got it I had to slam the bottom of the mag to get it past the mag catch.  Now you can just push it in.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#3]
i just told my dad what yall said and he said that it was some kind of new thing they put on it. he said thats what the guy at the gun shop told him. have yall heard of this?
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I am pretty sure it just needs to be worn in, there wouldn't really be any reason to put that type of saftey on the pistol.  They did put a saftey in the main spring housing, once you lock it you cannot operate the slide because the hammer won't move.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#5]
STLRN, is that safety on both milspec models too?
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, I just got a WWII mil spec and it has the new lock on it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yup, I just got a WWII mil spec and it has the new lock on it.

thats what this was. i liked it but that safety on the release is just not right
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Theres no safety on the mag release, its like all the other 1911's I have or have had. I think as was mentioned, its probably just something that needs wearing in. Sometimes different mags will cause the same thing to happen and just require that extra slap to seat them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:09:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Springfield 1911a1 mil-spec this spring and never had any problem with the mag going in.  Everything works just fine.  Shoot it all the time and love it.  Maybe try another and see what that one does.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
My Springfield Loaded is the same way.  If you push the loaded mag into the well, it will seem to stop right at teh magazine release button.  If you push hard enough, without pressing the release, the mag will travel the rest of the way.  A few hundred rounds should loosen it up
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#11]
There is not "mag realease safety", and the mainspring housing safety (lock really,it's not a safety per se) has nothing to do with the magazines.
My Kimber was the same way at first.  Couple of IDPA shoots smacking magazines in cleaned it right up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:15:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You should not need to push the mag release button to load a new mag.  Maybe the parts need to wear in a bit?  Just slap the mag into the magwell to seat it.  If this does not work then something is wrong.  Since it's a Springfield 1911, then it's likely that there IS something wrong.

ahhhhh, a true soul brother!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i just told my dad what yall said and he said that it was some kind of new thing they put on it. he said thats what the guy at the gun shop told him. have yall heard of this?

Yeah.  Tell the 'guy at the gun shop' to shut his ignorant suck.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#14]
The problem that you are having is that the mag catch needs to be clean up a bit to remove some burs. You need to pull the catch and clean the burs.

To remove, slightly press in on the mag release button, and turn the screw.  The screw has a tab that will lock back into the button, and unlock it from the frame. The easy way is to just to put a little turning pressure on the screw, then slowly press the button in.  When the screw tab gets to the correct location in the button channel, it will turn/lock into place.

Once you have it out, pull the screw and the spring, and clean up the screw tab slot channel on the button, and finish polishing the angled section of the lock. This will allow the pressure from the mag to press the button in and the mag to glide past the lock (into place).
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#15]
well i dont have the pistol yet. im still looking at them trying to decide on which one i want to get. one was a 9mm taurus (looks like a beretta) and then one was a .45 rock something armory i dont know the exact name, i forgot. and then the springfeild armory .45

what do yall think?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...a .45 rock river arms i dont know the exact name, i forgot. and then the springfeild armory .45

Do you mean RRA?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#17]
The pistol type/model will solely depend on what you want the pistol for, and what you want out of the pistol.  

I have wrench all three of the pistols that you have listed, and even built up a match pistol out of a SS Springfield 1911.  
For the most part, all three pistols will run out of the box, but can made to be a lot better with basic smiting.  But, the biggest downfall to the three pistols listed is that, in box form, the internals are rough as hell, and only can be smithed/fitted to a point.  To get the pistols to the point of able for then to perform in a match environment, parts need to be exchanged.

Which brings up the next point on smiting.  If you have the talent to self perform the tasks needed, then the pistols can be a great option for a daily shooter pistol. But, if you need to send the pistol off to a smith (read pay) then you are better off with spending the extra few hundred dollars to buy the original/better made design, and not a cheaper copy.  In regards to the 9mm, the Berretta 92FS is worlds apart in regards to lack of craftsmanship of the Taurus copy.  Between the Springfield and the Rock island becomes a little muddier.  The Springfield is made in Brazil, and I believe the RI is also made there too. Both can be fitted, and in stock form leave a lot to be desired.  The problem is that on a cheap 45, when you start to build up the pistol, you end up replacing all the parts but the frame and slide.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that this may be your first pistol, and the idea of dropping thousands of dollars is a pistol is not an option at this time.  With keeping that single thought in mind, then it just depends on what your spending dollar amount is that you have to spend.  My guess is that all three pistols are ranging in the $300 mark. So if we just narrow it down to the three pistols in question that are in that range, then it first comes down to caliber.  The 45 can be a handful to control (not just spraying the area) and there are a lot of shooters that cannot get used to the recoil of the slide. For them, the recoil of the 9mm is a lot better, and turns out to be the better option.  If the recoil of the pistol slide in 45 is not a problem, then between the RI, and the Springfield (basic parked form), You would be better off getting the Springfield for one simple reason; it comes with a life time warranty. If you do not modify the pistol, then it can be sent back anytime that you have a problem with it.

Bottom line is to decide what amount of money that you can spend on a pistol, and then start to shop in that range.  This will narrow down your options, and may even cause you to re-think if saving up for the next price ranges of pistols may be a better option in the long run.  We were all young/low budgeted once our lives, so I can understand your desires, wanting to get a pistol as soon as possible. But, have been lucky enough to overcome the money issue and lived threw the hasty decisions of just buying a cheaper copy to just have a firearm, I have found that waiting and spending the extra money for a pistol that is up to pair from the start is the better decision. This will save you from having to change out parts to get the pistol up to pair, or having to sell it at a loss just to buy the correct pistol that you tried to save money on in the first place.  

Patience’s, and  hands-on testing will make the decision on which is the best pistol for you in your price range.  What you may want to do is to post over in the/your hometown forum and see if anyone around you has the pistols that you are looking at, and may be able for you to take a few shots out of their pistol to help you decide.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...a .45 rock river arms i dont know the exact name, i forgot. and then the springfeild armory .45

Do you mean RRA?

Kinda doubtful since the waiting list is approximately 1 year for a new gun.  He probably saw a Rock Island.

J
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#19]
thanks for the advice dano. i just want a pistol to shoot around the house and that sort of thing.

and yes, i think it was a Rock islan armory
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Mudzilla,

What every pistol you decide on, Drop me a IM and I can walk you threw going over it and cleaning up some of the tooling marks to smooth the pistol out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#21]
You might want to go hang at www.1911forum.com for awhile before you commit to a specific pistol, and later to learn some of the 1911's fine points.  Good luck with your purchase.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Rock Island Armory or Rock River Arms?? There is a good deal of difference (scarceness, price, etc. Not in quality so much).
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Rock Island Armory or Rock River Arms?? There is a good deal of difference (scarceness, price, etc. Not in quality so much).

Say what????  RRA builds what are pretty much high-end custom 1911s.  Are you contending they are not worth the money?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top