Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2003 5:43:37 AM EDT

OK guys, a little advice would be much appreciated.

I recently aquired my CWP here in Florida, and bought a Front Site certificate from DVDTracker to attend a four day pistol course at Front Site in Nevada.

The problem is, I am not sure which of my handguns to take to FS with me.  The obvious and correct answer is, the one I use as my carry weapon.

However, I carry several different weapons, depending on where I am going and how I am dressed.  I recently bought a Glock 29 10mm for concealed carry at work.  I like this pistol just fine, but it prints pretty badly when I wear it.  So I have taken to carrying my old US ARMY 1911A1 instead, which is slimmer and more comfortable to wear, although I am limited to 7+1 capacity.  I have even on a few occasions carried my Walther P-22 loaded with CCI Stingers, simply because it is the smallest and most concealable pistol I own.

So what do you guys think?  The Glock 10mm has the most stopping power, but ammo is as expensive as can be.  I love my 1911, but it is 59 years old and I almost (but not quite) feel bad about taking it to a course where it will be run like an old nag at the races.  I also own an HK .40, HK 9mm, and a SIG 9mm, all of which I have carried at one time or another.

So thanks for the help.  At this point, I am leaning toward the 1911.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Bring the Glock and the 1911. One might blow up during the class, probably the Glock

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Take a MAC
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't feel bad taking the 1911A1; it survived WWII. I'm sure it'll survive 4 days in Nevada

If you carry your Glock more than the 1911, bring the Glock...otherwise, bring the 1911. Or both

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I say 1911 but bring the Glock as a backup!
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
bring both for sure, it would be a shame to let a failure in your gun ruin your day. the question is which one to use as the backup
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#7]

I would bring 2 handguns with the same caliber.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#8]
The overall vast majority of people who have really spent time at these schools or other range conditions where several types and brands of guns are fired thousands of rounds will agree that the 1911 has far more problems than other modern designs.

This is fact no matter how much we like the 1911.

You would be much better off with your Glock, Sig or USP.

You may be in for a huge surprise if you take your 1911.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
AvengeR15: I would take any of the 4th generation guns. With the 1911 as backup. Depend on it Mr. Murphy will show his head, but you be ready for with a backup.

Also it would make perfect sense to learn to reload those 10mm cases. It is really simple. OR find a someone locally that will reload it for you. For me costwise to reload 10mm is the same cost as reloading 45ACP, currently about 10¢/round not including the cost of the case using a hard cast lead bullet. If you use a true jacketed bullet, the cost is about round 15¢/round.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
<snip>  I had to tape my thumb after the first day cause it was getting raw.  <snip>

[cartman]Seriously you guys[/cartman], get your ass out to AZ already, you'll get enough shooting in to get a nice callus real quick:)
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#12]
My Browning High Power worked flawlessly over the four days.  

But I brought a spare just in case.  Bring extra mags, load them in your spare time, and a mag loader....you will appreciate the HKS loaders after four days of mag loading.  

Bring something you can shoot for four straight, long, dry (even in cool months, it's dry) days.  Really, what you carry or use most would be my first choice of pistol.  But bring a spare (or two?) just in case...broken guns suck and you don't want to spend alot of down time working on yours.  1000 rounds of blasting ammo won't break the bank either way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top