Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2003 6:36:32 AM EDT
I got this for Christmas last year.  I used it once, and it got real hot after about 20 minutes of use, so I never used it again.  

I've got about 1000 rounds of .223 I want to resize/trim now, so I'm gonna try it again.  

I'm using the Dillon die...but as I set the thing up again, I was reminded that the die has no expander ball...it full length resizes and trims only.  

How critical is the expander ball process to resizing?  Normally, I'm using traditional dies to resize, but the volume of .223 that I have to process now has me looking for an easier way.  I suppose I could run the brass through a neck sizing die before I use the trimmer, but that adds another step to the process.  Plus, the trimmer setup doesn't decap, so I have to do that separately as well...which points me back towards the neck sizing die as a first step, since that will decap too.  

Anyone got any other suggestions?  thanks!  
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have and use a Dillon case trimmer on my 223 reloads. I had the same concern you do about how hot the trimmer gets. I called Dillon and they advised me not to worry about it that it is normal for this high torque motor to get hot. I have trimmed about 15000 rounds with it and have no problems. I love this trimmer compared to some others I have tried.

As for the seizer ball problem here is my procedure. I use the Dillon case lube it is one of the best and it is easy to use. I size and trim the cases in the Dillon trimmer. Then to clean the cases and remove the case lube I run the cases thru the tumbler. Then I set up a 223 die in my Rock Chucker press. I set the expander ball and decapping pin so that the cases do not go into the sizing die they just get decapped and the sizing ball does it's thing. This also gets any stuck corn cob media out of the case and the flash-hole which was a real pain to get out sometimes. I then use a Sinclair primer pocket tool in a drill to clean out the primmer pocket because you don't want a high primer in an AR. I don't bother to use the chamfering tool around the case mouth anymore with the Dillon it is not necessary.

Email me if you have any questions and don't worry about the Dillon getting hot. Even if it did burn out Dillon will take care of it, they have the best customer service that I have ever experienced. We have several guys that work at Dillon on this board.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Shooter505!

I thought maybe my trimmer was defective...so you've put those worries to rest.  

I'll email you about the decap/expander process...I guess if I'm not using the die in the Dillon, I can set it up in my single stage press.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top