Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2003 2:30:18 PM EDT
Just wondering if the current $1000 price justifies the purchase of this postban rifle.  Any current owners want to share your experience?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I too think the M96 is way overpriced.

Now, besides that fact I love this firearm.
The M96 is very high quality and if I have the 1k in my pocket to burn. This would be the first gun I'd get.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 3:40:10 AM EDT
[#2]
It's an alright shooter, but it is very heavy.  Also I have had the barrel pop off while shooting mine before.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
No
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]
The one that I looked at was $1500 (carbine model).
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#5]
$1000. is a fairly good price.  I have just finished a 1000 round "NO CLEANING" cycle with mine with ZERO malfunctions.  From the first round of that cyle to the last the gun was ( and still is ) as smooth as silk.  Mind you that I have endeavored to get this gun filthy and have done a very good job of it.  It is choked with dust, gypsum, fouling, bits of weeds etc. and it keeps ticking.  Hell, I even donated a bit of blood to the cause the other day....please don't ask...just know that it was stupid...and it REALLY hurt!

The things you often hear of barrels popping out during shooting are often ( but not always )caused by shooters not remembering to check that the barrel has properly locked into place after cleaning or disassembly. However, earlier rifles had a very weak barrel release spring which I believe contributed to this issue by allowing the barrel release button to be actuated and the barrel lightly unset from the locked position unbeknownst to the shooter.  This is only a theory and I'll let my belief in Murphy's Law be my only support on the issue. There have also been a couple of isues with the barrel lock pins but I do not recall the specifics...they were quite some time ago on the early guns as were the weaker springs. Either way it IS a very good idea to fully familiarize yourself with the entire weapon before fielding it.  

Yes, the 96 is a bit heavy, but it is well balanced and very accurate.  This thing points like a dream and has little recoil.  A gentleman that I know who was a bit trepidatious of the M96 because of the weight issue remarked that it didn't feel nearly as heavy as he thought is would and really enjoys his weapon.  The M96 has several published weights and they tend to lead people to believe the thing weighs around nine pounds or so with all the accoutroments.  My Recon with a custom sling mount, one empty GI mag, an M60 machine gun sling with metal snap hooks added and industrial anti friction tape on all gripping surfaces tips the scale at eight pounds even.  Now, add a full mag and you're approaching the nine pound mark...but it just isn't that bad at all.

Let me end by saying that the M96 is a really different weapon and that it may not be for everyone...but of all of the styles of weapons I have owned or shot...this is in my top two.  Keep researchiing it and studying it...it may ( or it may not ) be for you.  Buy accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know how solved problem is or not, although it has only happened once to me.  My rifle is less than 3 months old and it happened in the middle of a range session (about 3 magazines were fired before it happened).   It crunched the hell out of the case and I locked the barrel back down and shot another couple of mags through it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#7]
A better question might be, are the current post-ban Colts worth $1100, let alone prebans?

I am impressed with the performance of the M96.  I believe it was money well spent.  It's a solidly built rifle and it combines modularity with a proven gas system.  There have been some minor engineering fixes but this is the norm for just about every firearm.

I'm not sure I'd advocate it over the AR system for a first rifle, but if you are tired of buying AR after AR and you're looking for something a little different, the M96 is a great choice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:45:01 AM EDT
[#8]
STLRN...ya know, the newer ( or shall we say "less fired" ) the gun is...the more this seems to happen.  I am not sure why that is...I noticed on other posts that have covered this issue when this issue does occur it is on a REALLY new gun...very strange.  I was SUPER cautious with mine when I first bought it and have been good to go so far.  I always wonder if I am gonna get complacent and muss up the works one of these days.  Hopefully your incident was limited...as it usually seems to be.

I also want to add a thumbs up to kne_mays post and I agree with him.  The M96 is a great gun to add to a current collection...but I wouldn't have bought one as my first tactical rifle...one day, when the engineering and evolution of the design has reached it's pinnacle....then it will be a fairly good "only" rifle.  just give it time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
<snip> I have just finished a 1000 round "NO CLEANING" cycle with mine with ZERO malfunctions. <snip>

Bah!  I'm at 3000 with no cleaning/malfs.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Is an M1A worth $1200?
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip> I have just finished a 1000 round "NO CLEANING" cycle with mine with ZERO malfunctions. <snip>

Trying....to think....of snappy comeback...

" On what?  Your AK? Doesn't matter if you clean those...no one can hit with 'em anyways! "

OR

" 3000 flushes without a cleaning?  You must smell like a monkey!  A very sick little monkey! "

....eekkk...have stressed...brain again....gasp...
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:37:15 AM EDT
[#12]
i had an opportunity to handle/shoot one weekend before last.  (at the VA MG shoot, still smiling)  i was VERY impressed, it does not FEEL heavy in your hands and it is practicaly recoilless, and as a result easily aimed for follow-ups.
considering that most post-ban AR's run in the 800-1000 $ range,  if i was in the market for another semi 223/556, it would be my first choice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I shot one a few years back and it felt good in my hands. I would buy a full featured one, but not the Calif.-special model. Just because I don't own an example.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the Recon Carbine..bought it new for $1300. I really like it, however.....I don't shoot it enough. I have only fired around 200 rounds through it...no malfunctions. I don't want to get rid of it or anything, but for some reason it doesn't get out of the vault very often.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought a Recon Carbine a month ago ($1450, Ouch!) Best price I could find in VA and I called around.  Anyone know a better dealer/price.

First trip to the range it shot 12" left and 8" low with sights centered. I had to adjust front sight all the way to left to hit dead center, boy did that look stupid.  Called Robarms and after a little negotiating had a barrel swap set up.

New barrel arrived and old went back, in a 10 second switch.  I love this gun, the modular design is awesome.  (I always wanted a Stoner, this is close.) Went out to range with new front sight dead centered, I know cause I checked it with a caliper!  Hit dead center at 100 yds. though still having the low by 8" problem.  Can deal with that by adjusting front sight way down but then I get a funny sight picture.  I may trim the front sight housing down by about 1/10" on a milling machine.

The rifle shot great.  Broke in and slick after about 100 rounds and never missed a feed/fire after that with bleeder set to "3".  My Bushmaster Pre-ban XM15 Carbine is more accurate at this point.  Maybe cause I’m still getting used to the M96, maybe cause it has better sights.

Other issues, GI 30 round mags are a little tight in my mag well but they function fine, just won’t drop free without a pull or bump.  Colt 20's are a perfect fit, and I prefere them anyway.

Flash from bleeder valve vent is blinding in low light/night shooting.  I switched from Winchester to Federal ball and this improved.

This gun is a great addition to my safe and a pleasure to shoot, but it needs a little refining to be an "only gun" as stated above.  Give them some time!  I think it feels like a "real gun", the AR always felt like Mattel made it for Toys-R-Us to me.  Also, It really looks great!

I would buy it again but it is priced a bit high for my taste.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#17]
 It took me a while to shoot my M96 as well as an AR...a few hundred rounds, actually...now I shoot it just as well.

Kinda wierd about the rifle still liking to shoot low.  hope that clears up one way or another.  The part about your having to crank the windage on the front sight over meant that the front sight tower was off by about one degree....this was more common on the older barrels but it could still happen from time to time...glad you got that part taken care of.  Keep workin' on it!

Someday this design will evolve to a nearly perfect configuration...it takes feed back from guys like us to get it there.  Enjoy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top