Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2003 3:09:46 PM EDT

I just got a new rifle, Turkish Mauser action reworked, after market trigger and safety, new barrell, .308 cal.

The action was reworked by a local gunsmith, face trued, new bolt handle, lugs lapped, drilled and tapped for scope. He mounted the scope on Leupold 2 piece rings and bases, lined up with a lining bar to insure perfect line.  This smith has a very good reputation for quality work, has built competition 1911's for years.

The only variable I see is the quality of the barrell, I don't know the brand but it is new.

My problem is that I can't get a group worth sh***. About five inches using Winchester Super X 150 grain.

Any ideas? What would be your first move without investing too much more cash. Is the 150 grain too light, perhaps 180's? I know reloading would  help, but I don't have .308 dies and would expect factory ammo to get at least 1.5 to 2" group.... fullclip

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you break in the barrel?

Is it chrome-lined, or not?

What kind of chambering, 7.62x51 NATO or .308 Winchester? (they are different, as we all know)

Offhand, you have the receiver, bolt, and custom work done to both to warrant a good MOA rifle. Maybe check to see there's nothing hitting the barrel and knocking it out of true? Wood, perhaps?

Failing that...new barrel or not, some new barrels are bad to begin with. You can't polish a turd.

First though...try heavier bullets. 165 grain, 173 grain. It might like heavier ammo. If you still get those groupings (or worse)...time to rebarrel
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#2]

First off barrel break in was a bore cleaning every round first 5 rounds, every 5 rounds after.

The barrel is not chrome lined, standard .308 chamber.

Stock is also a variable. Cheap after market synthethic, has a pad in front of channel for barrel to rest in. Perhaps this should be cut out? Don't know about bedding for action, sd I bought this rifle assembled. The gunsmith assembled the action and barrel and the previous owner installed it in the stock.

Any oinions on the Mauser action? If the .308 craps out, perhaps a rebarrel to .220 swift is in order? .... fullclip

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I would discuss the problem with the gunsmith that did the work.
Perhaps something is in need of adjustment or maybe he can shed some light on the barrel and what bullet would be best to use.

Perhaps there is a problem with the scope or the mounts?
Have you tried another scope or are you sure of the quality of this scope?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]

As far as the mounts go, they are new and the work of the gunsmith is always very good, but there is always a chanch. I will have him recheck the mounts just to be sure.

The scope is one I took off of a rem 25-06 just to try out the .308 beore I spent more money on the gun. I guess it was good enough, as I have always shot very good groups with that rifle and scope combo. The last I shot it was about two weeks ago, 1 1/2" groups at 200 yards... fullclip

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top