Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2003 6:07:21 PM EDT
I had my H&K USP 45 upper teflon coated in green. I was pretty happy with the results until I fired it the other day. All around the chamber, the teflon started chipping off after 50 rounds. I was under the impression that the teflon would protect the gun better. Is this what normally happens, or do I need to take it back to the gunsmith.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#1]
No, it shouldn;t be happening. Who did your work?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Phill Flack in Asheville NC.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Kind of a moot point now for you, but Robar out in AZ does the best refinishing & they do offer their Np3 finish.

What did your gunsmith say?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't brought it back to him yet. Ill be doing that some time this week.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#5]
For teflon coatins go to Birdsong (601.939.7448).  He does the best teflon finishes in black or olive drab.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#6]
These polymer coatings will wear off on high abrasion areas such as around the muzzle of the barrel, the barrel hood, and slide rails.  Some may take longer than others but eventually all of them will show some wear.  

I wouldn't worry about it unless it's flaking off in big chips.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#7]
the edges of metal will be where the paint is thinnest, so it will chip there first, espcially around high wear areas like the ejection port.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top