Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2003 7:08:54 PM EDT
Can anyone reccommend one?  This will not be a match rifle or anything, I just need some 22s to instruct Boy Scouts so they can get their rifle merit badges.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
My first rifle was a Marlin .22 given to me by my father, I don't think you could go wrong with one.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess it depends how you define "cheap", but the CZ 452 Special @ $199 is a great rifle at a great price.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My first rifle was a Marlin .22 given to me by my father, I don't think you could go wrong with one.

I got my son a Marlin for his first .22, it has a tubular magazine, not sure of its capacity, but I know it holds way more than ten rounds. It will also shoot Shorts, Longs or LongRifle, all for close to a hundred bucks!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Marlin model 25N.  Should run you under $150 and meets all of your specified requirements.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Get Marlin 25N .22lr rifles. They come with a detachable 7 round mag and cost about $150. BTW- I'm thinking of getting the rifle shooting merit badge, i'm in Troop 319, Verdugo Hills Councel. I'm almost a Life Scout.

The "rules" in the rifle shooting merit badge book are so much B.S. They say that if the rifle has a detachable mag, it must be single loaded. Can't use the .22WRF, no semi-auto rifles, and get this... The rifle MUST have a trigger pull in excess of three(3) pounds!! The rifles must be tested weekly while in use to ensure that the trigger pull is over 3 pounds. If the trigger pull is less, the rifle should be immediately removed from service! That is B.S. (IMO) if I ever heard it!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll second the CZ 452 Special.

Runner-up: Savage MkII G

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The "rules" in the rifle shooting merit badge book are so much B.S. They say that if the rifle has a detachable mag, it must be single loaded. Can't use the .22WRF, no semi-auto rifles, and get this... The rifle MUST have a trigger pull in excess of three(3) pounds!!

BS especially in light of the fact that the only "approved" shotguns are semiautomatics.  So a 12 Remington 1100 is OK, but a Ruger 10/22 is not.  Now which is more dangerous?  ARs are of course out of the question.

Anyway, I looked at the brands suggested today.  The Marlin was nice, but the one I looked at had such a high stock that the irons were barely usable.  Maybe they make another model with a better stock design.  The CZ was nice, in fact perfect, but I probably need two of these things so I was hoping to get something a little cheaper.  The Savage was OK.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Savage MkII . I like it alot .
Got it at a pawn shop with scope for $65 .

Walmart sells the same gun with scope for $100 I think .
 I talked my bro into getting his son ( my nephew ) one for Christmas .
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 1:32:21 AM EDT
[#9]
The Romanian 1969 Trainers that SOG and others are selling are outstanding rifles, detachable mag (5 shot) and are usually only $60 or so.

I have 2 and they both are very very accurate, decent triggers and are built tough. With Wolf MT on the scoped one I can make a ragged hole at 25 yards.

How can you beat a deal like that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top