Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2003 6:00:47 PM EDT
Looking for some info on who makes a good, reliable and inexpensive mag for a mini 14 and where is the best place to get them?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The PMI mags are generally pretty good.  I'd go for the good instead of the inexpensive in this case.

CDNN and Numrich have had these recently. I bought one from each just for grins.  The two I got work ok.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Looking for some info on who makes a good, reliable and inexpensive mag for a mini 14 and where is the best place to get them?

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you do, don't buy any USA or other cheap no name mags.  
They are jam-o-matics!

I've bought some that you couldn't even seat in the magwell.

It can be difficult to find decent mags at a reasonalbe price.  Hopefully the stupid ban will end.

Good luck...
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe Numrich has the best deals on the PMI magazines right now at $30.95 each. I bought a pile of them for my AC556 and they all run 100%. They can't be beat. Supposedly PMI is/was the contractor who produces/produced the Mini 14/AC556 magazines for Ruger. They're just as good as the factory magazines at a fraction of the price.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#4]
How about Tripple K? Are these any good?
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]
rarely

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
How about Tripple K? Are these any good?

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget the John Masen mags. The sell new 10 rounders now and you can find 30 rounders at www.gunaccessories.com
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:01:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
The last time I looked, floridagunworks.com had Ruger factory 30 roung used mags at a price of$49.95... not to bad a price when most are three time that!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#9]
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:44:37 AM EDT
[#10]

The last time I looked, floridagunworks.com had Ruger factory 30 roung used mags at a price of$49.95... not to bad a price when most are three time that!

According to their website, they're WESTERN brand. They're the same category of magazine as USA, Pro Mag, Triple K, etc.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry about that but it was over a week ago that I had seen them listed for sale...gone now. I have several that I've collected over the years along with a few PMI's which seem to work okay.However the factory ones are clearly best.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I will chime in on behalf of John Masen 30 rounders and PMI 40 rounders.  All have functioned perfectly, with the exception of one out of 8 PMI 40 rounders had to have a SLIGHT amount of flashing on the inside of the magwell, near the locking hole in the front of the magazine.  Git yerself a stripper clip guide as well.

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Thermolds work great in my Mini-14.  PMI are acceptable.  Ramline were crap!
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Is PMI the same company as ProMag?????

Also, any magazine, including factory magazines that hold more than 30 rounds have a very short life expectancy in my humble opinion.  I'd never trust my life to a 40round magazine.

I have some ProMag magazines in 10 round capacity.  They look/feel/function just like Ruger brand factory magazines.  I have several for my Mini-30 as well.  All work 100% without fail.

You can find them new at   http://www.fourfourmag.com

The only run about 13-15.00 bucks as I recall off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#15]
They are different companies.  PMI went out of business near the start of the 1994 ban.

I've had good success with PMI magazines.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Is PMI the same company as ProMag?????

Also, any magazine, including factory magazines that hold more than 30 rounds have a very short life expectancy in my humble opinion.  I'd never trust my life to a 40round magazine.

I have some ProMag magazines in 10 round capacity.  They look/feel/function just like Ruger brand factory magazines.  I have several for my Mini-30 as well.  All work 100% without fail.

You can find them new at   http://www.fourfourmag.com

The only run about 13-15.00 bucks as I recall off the top of my head.

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thermolds work great in my Mini-14.  PMI are acceptable.  Ramline were crap!

Same here.

Reliable and inexpensive are mutually exclusive when it comes to Ruger mags.

I have a bunch of factory Ruger hi-caps, but I can't bring myself to use them for plinking.  I use Thermolds mostly, though they are getting harder to find (and more $$$) too.

The aftermarket metal mags vary in quality from 80% reliable to paperweights.

Some guy in the EE had two factory hi-caps for $100 the other day. That's a steal.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

quote]

I have faith in my 40-rounders, as do a couple of other people on this board.  They work.  Each time.  Every time.  I don't keep them loaded, only keep two 30 rounders loaded (25 in each, to help keep the springs "springy").  I have had my 40-rounders for over 2 years now, and have prolly fired over 2000 rounds in that time period, without a single misfeed, FTE, etc.  They also hold the bolt open after the last round has been firedt, something the cheap aftermarket mags have had problems with.  Honestly, I was hesitant about the performance of these mags when i ordered them, but they work.  I got mine for 45 a piece, they go for around 50-80 bucks a piece now.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Because of this thread I attacked several boxes I have had stored for years.  Found three NIB Ruger 20-round mags and one new Eagle 20-round without package.   I haven't owned a Mini-14 in about six years !!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Found three NIB Ruger 20-round mags and one new Eagle 20-round without package. I haven't owned a Mini-14 in about six years !!

Buddy!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Found three NIB Ruger 20-round mags and one new Eagle 20-round without package. I haven't owned a Mini-14 in about six years !!

Buddy!!!!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top