Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2003 5:51:48 PM EDT

Ok, here is the question: How many of you guys have dropped a handgun?

I will answer first with a no. I have never dropped any handgun or rifle, never had one fall off of a table onto the floor, or dropped one in any way.

So how about you guys?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry, you'll drop your fair share. Sooner or later it happens to everyone.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
That's why they invented lanyards.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
One slipped of a table when I was getting ready to clean it. My leg pulled the mat off the table when I sat down.

But with my cat like reflexes, I caught it.

My Kung Fu was good that day.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Just the other day I was untucking my shirt and it pulled out my Kel-Tec P-32 and it fell to the ground.  The more you carry concealed the more chance it has of happening since you are doing a lot of tucking in of holsters and such.  It happens so it's best to plan for it accordingly.

Do you have your CCW Rickyj?  
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just the other day I was untucking my shirt and it pulled out my Kel-Tec P-32 and it fell to the ground.  The more you carry concealed the more chance it has of happening since you are doing a lot of tucking in of holsters and such.  It happens so it's best to plan for it accordingly.

There is no doubt that it is best to prepare for any possibilities. I wear my seatbelt in the car even though I have never been in an accident. I carry a G-19, so it is relatively drop safe even though I have never dropped a gun. I hope that this poll or my comments do not come across as anti-safety or anti-preparation, because that is not how I intend them. My point is that dropping a gun is the fault of the user. While I relate with you in that you are a fellow gun owner I do not feel that it is at all responsible to drop a gun. If your gun fell out when you untucked your shirt you need a holster with a retention strap. And if your weapon was dropped in a public area then I find your actions disgusting. Leaving aside the potentially lethal dangers to all bystanders, this would leave such a negative, and permanent, impression of gun owners on everyone who witnessed it that I would say your actions are more supportive of HCI and the Brady center than the responsible gun owners of America.

Do you have your CCW Rickyj?  

Surely do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't care how good you THINK you are if you drive a car long enough there is a good chance sooner or later you will screw up and have an accident that is YOUR fault.

You are human just like the rest of us. You are not perfect.

If you walk enough you will fall.

If you ride a bike everyday sooner or later you will let it get you down. The best riders in the world loose it.

If you carry a gun every day sooner or later you will either drop it or subject it to a force or shock that could cause a junk gun to have an AD.

Cops loose control of their weapons in fights.

People in combat do also.

You can't claim that this can not ever happen to you.

Even the best of the best have screwed up and the difference in them and you is they will admit it.

It is very important to have a gun that is drop safe. Only a complete moron would take a chance on carring an unsafe firearm because they "know" they will not drop it.

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Dropped my loaded Kel-tec p-11 at the range one day, I almost bit my tounge in half. I was putting something in my range bag, and the bag slid it off the edge of the table. NOBODY saw it, but there is a camera on the line, and boy was I red.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Dropped my CZ75 several times, holster drills, or just sweaty hands on those 100 degree 100% humidity days
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I have never been in any gun type battles, I could see dropping an empty gun, np. But around the house or at the range, etc. I just couldn't see being that careless, I've got too much respect. And, I have dropped $1000 guitars serveral times. That being said, if your gonna drop your gun, EMPTY would be advised. Thats drop proof. Course accidents do happen, whoo, glad there not chambered till they need to be, lol.  ;}
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't care how good you THINK you are if you drive a car long enough there is a good chance sooner or later you will screw up and have an accident that is YOUR fault.

While I disagree with your assertion that it is unavoidable, I would agree that the fault of the "accident" is that of the user/operator.

You are human just like the rest of us. You are not perfect.

Never said I was.

If you walk enough you will fall.

If ride a bike everyday sooner or later you will let it get you down. The best riders in the world loose it.

If you carry a gun every day sooner or later you will either drop it or subject it to a force or shock that could cause a junk gun to have an AD.

Wrong. Your chances of having any of the above increase as you do them more often, but it is still the fault of the operator/user, and not an inevitability. There are people who will go their whole life without being in an auto "accident" or dropping a weapon. And it is not because they are "lucky" or inexperienced or "have not been around guns enough".

Cops loose control of their weapons in fights.

People in combat do also.

So? This means that it is not their fault? Because it has happened before?

You can't claim that this can not ever happen to you.

Nope. And I don't. Claiming that something could never happen is ignorant and absurd.

Even the best of the best have screwed up and the difference in them and you is they will admit it.

No, the difference is that I will admit that it was a mistake and my fault, because I truly believe that it is a personal failure. It is not something that I believe is destined to happen or "just does" Look at every one of the above posters that admitted to dropping a gun. Which one of them admit that they screwed up? Which one?

Don't worry, you'll drop your fair share. Sooner or later it happens to everyone.

Of course I have. I don't see how someone who shoot regularly or carries regularly could escape dropping it or having it fall on the floor
I have never dropped a loaded one

Just the other day I was untucking my shirt and it pulled out my Kel-Tec P-32 and it fell to the ground. The more you carry concealed the more chance it has of happening since you are doing a lot of tucking in of holsters and such. It happens so it's best to plan for it accordingly.

hmmmmm........yeah they are taking responsibility all right. Not one has said "yeah, and it was my fault". All the answers are "shit happens", "I have just been around guns longer", and other types of excuses that I usually relate with the left wing whiners and children.

It is very important to have a gun that is drop safe. Only a complete moron would take a chance on carring an unsafe firearm because they "know" they will not drop it.

That is one of the reasons why I carry a G-19, although I know I have told you that already.

Edited to fix the quotes
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, I have dropped most of the guns I own by accident.

They are military guns, not tiffany lamps. They arent meant to get beaten around.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Ricky, every single one of us knows it was our fault that we dropped our own guns.  Duh!
You sir are an ignorant ass.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ricky, every single one of us knows it was our fault that we dropped our own guns.  Duh!

You haven't even had your permit two weeks and have already dropped your carry piece at least once, and you are calling me an ignorant ass? Because I dare say that it is irresponsible to drop a gun?

Edited to add: Where did you drop your gun jtw2?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You haven't even had your permit two weeks and have already dropped your carry piece at least once, and you are calling me an ignorant ass? Because I dare say that it is irresponsible to drop a gun?

Edited to add: Where did you drop your gun jtw2?

You know what?  I apologize for that.  I shouldn't call names.  I just have a hard time with arrogance.  you have a nice life Ricky.

Edited to add that I dropped it in my driveway.  I've had my CO permit for 2 weeks, but I've been carrying for over 15 years.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:22:22 AM EDT
[#16]
According to Ricky you have to be a complete moron to drop a gun.

By looking at the results of the poll there are plenty of morons here.

It seems us mere mortals will never have the skills of the great Ricky.

According to him his skills are vastly greater than most of the world class shooters that we all admire so much.

We can believe it or not.

I do not.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It would appear so.

Almost a third have never dropped a gun, and over half have never done so more than once, so obviously it is possible. Although with only 26 votes I guess that you can not be sure, maybe it is just something I made up, or maybe all of those votes are mine.

According to him his skills are vastly greater than most of the world class shooters that we all admire so much.

I don't really think that is what I said or implied, and a "world class shooter" dropping a handgun a couple times out of thousands of hours of intense shooting is hardly comparable to someone dropping a gun in a kmart. Not to mention dropping a gun in a competition is akin to cracking your nuts on the balance beam in gymnastics, yeah it happens but it is something that can be avoided and if you are doing it with regularity it is probably a good indication that you need to find another sport.

I do not.

It is not just me, over half of the "arrogant assholes" who answered the poll do not drop their handguns on a regular basis. Are they all liars as well? Or let me guess, they are somehow more dangerous than butterfingers McGee dropping his damn gun all the time because "they know it cannot happen to them".

How many times do you guys drop your forks when eating? Do you drop your phone in the middle of a conversation? Drop your briefcase while getting on the elevator? Drop your wallet when paying a cashier? I would guess that the answer to all of the above is at the most very infrequently. Dropping a firearm can and does have much more serious consequences than all of the above yet some of you are talking about it like it is no big deal. If you are doing it all the time, then yes I do think you are a moron. Find a different sport. If you are dropping firearms you lack the mental and physical control necessary to shoot safely. If you are in a state of mind that allows you to physically drop a gun then god forbid what happens when your mind slips on the more complex physical tasks like muzzle control and trigger discipline. You are most likely an unsafe shooter and danger to be around.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just have a hard time with arrogance.  

Please tell me why you think I am being arrogant because I honestly do not understand.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#19]
You are arrogent because you can not admit that you are human and can make a mistake.

None of us go around droping our carry gun on a daily basis but it is something that can and will happen to even the best of us and someday it will happen to you.

Some of us carry all the time. We work with our pistol on our side and our job is not in some nice clean office or controled enviroment.

Some of us has carried for longer that you have been alive and we have been places and done things you know nothing about and will never know anything about.

Those of us that have been there and done that know that it sometimes happens NO MATTER HOW CAREFULL YOU ARE and no matter how good you THINK you are.

You would also know this if you were not so full of yourself and had a little real world experience.

The things you post here gives us all a good idea about your experience or in this case a serious lack of it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#20]
The only time I dropped a gun was very memorable.
My Brother in Law was having a kidney stone attack, and I took him to the VA hospital.
I had been carring for about 10 years, but had recently gone to a new gun and holster.
I was carrying a 2inch .38 in an upsidedown shoulder holster.
Everything was fine, untill I had to help my Brother in Law down the hospital hallway.
The gun fell out and hit the floor in front of about 25 people.
Not good.
Last time I used that holster.
My Brother was in so much pain, he never noticed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You are arrogent because you can not admit that you are human and can make a mistake.

I know that I can make a mistake and I never said that I could not.

None of us go around droping our carry gun on a daily basis but it is something that can and will happen to even the best of us and someday it will happen to you.

Some of us carry all the time. We work with our pistol on our side and our job is not in some nice clean office or controled enviroment.

It might happen someday if and when I am careless, but it is not something that will as some natural course of action.

Some of us has carried for longer that you have been alive and we have been places and done things you know nothing about and will never know anything about.

Instead of relying on this kind of bullshit why don't you tell me why it is okay to drop a gun? Enlighten me. If you have a real argument I would love to hear it.

Those of us that have been there and done that know that it sometimes happens NO MATTER HOW CAREFULL YOU ARE and no matter how good you THINK you are.

Bullshit. This is the problem I have with your and several other posters attitudes, "it ain't my fault it just happens, you'll understand when you are ________________ like me". Every time a gun is dropped it is the fault of the user and relates to carelessness. It doesn't matter the number of years you have been shooting or the situation you dropped the gun in. It is your fault, and is a result of you doing something wrong. If you believe this statement is wrong why don't you give me an example or explain it.

You would also know this if you were not so full of yourself and had a little real world experience.

The things you post here gives us all a good idea about your experience or in this case a serious lack of it.

Oh cornbread, you crack me up. Tell me why I am wrong. I will honestly be impressed if you can. Of course "you'll understand when ___________", "you are an arrogant little punk", and such "arguments" are really none at all are they? Rather a deflection from the real issue at hand, a gun negligently being dropped.

BTW - I don't have a problem with any one who has made a mistake as should be clear from my posts, but if you continue to make mistakes without learning from them you are a moron. We aren't talking about fine china or grandma's ashes, we are talking about something that can kill if dropped. If you have dropped a weapon multiple times you have proven yourself to be unreliable and dangerous. If you continue handling weapons you are a danger to yourself and others. Consider this, if I had 5 NDs with high powered rifles in my life would you want me cleaning my rifles next to your kids? If you wouldn't care, respecting the law that "shit happens", then I don't have a problem with you dropping a gun multiple times.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My Brother in Law was having a kidney stone attack, and I took him to the VA hospital.
I had been carring for about 10 years, but had recently gone to a new gun and holster.
Everything was fine, untill I had to help my Brother in Law down the hospital hallway.
Not good.

Seems like a good solution to me.

How did it go over? I imagine there were some unhappy people.

BTW - Does "upsidedown shoulder holster" mean that the barrel was actually pointing in your armpit? Isn't that pretty hard to draw from?
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Never a handgun, placed my rifle on angle leaning against my car. The wind blew, car shock, I watched in S l o w motion as the rifle feel to ground. Hit a fucking pebble j u s t right and cleaved a nice piece of fiberglass off of the fore end.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I dropped my H&K USP40c on the pavement while in it's holster, I can't carry at work so the gun is in the glove box, I was taking it out and shifting hands.....too much stuff...dropped most everything.

I saw a hunter friend of mine let a muzzleloader slide off the bench, sitting upright, and he said:

"50 years hunting and shooting and there are two types of people; those who have already dropped a firearm and those that WILL."

I am very dexterous and almost caught the USP which is why I dropped everything else, but still dropped.

I saved the best friend's $3500 O/U shotgun from sliding to the ground while bore snaking the guns after a shoot.  Caught/cradled it with my foot inches from the ground.

I got lunch for that deed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I saved the best friend's $3500 O/U shotgun from sliding to the ground while bore snaking the guns after a shoot.  Caught/cradled it with my foot inches from the ground.

I got lunch for that deed.

That would have been painful (to the shotgun, not your foot , I would have been pretty damn grateful.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Why do you think there are so many NOBS looking to touch up little scratches in these parts, Jethro?
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Lump me in with the "careless" if you want Ricky. But anyone who shoots with me would back me up when I say that I'm about as safe as it gets with firearms.

Yet I've dropped a gun twice in my time.

Yup, shit happens.

BTW, none were loaded.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Lump me in with the "careless" if you want Ricky. But anyone who shoots with me would back me up when I say that I'm about as safe as it gets with firearms.

Yet I've dropped a gun twice in my time.

Yup, shit happens.

BTW, none were loaded.

I don't have some sort of formula or "cut off" to determine if you are safe. If you dropped two unloaded guns in your lifetime that is a world apart from what I originally got in the argument over cornbread with, someone dropping a loaded handgun out of their pocket in a kmart. That in my opinion is 100% irresponsible and disgusting. I should have specified loaded carry weapons because that is closer to what I meant and it is a lot different than knocking an unloaded shotgun over or having a gun fall out of the safe do to unknown shifting. I think a lot of you guys are reading me as saying that "drop a gun more than once" and it is off to the acid mines, which is not what I mean. I think if you drop a loaded handgun it is time to seriously reconsider your involvement in the sport.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Why do you think there are so many NOBS looking to touch up little scratches in these parts, Jethro?

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I do not.

I think I finally got the point of this thread! Of course, being a dumbass who drops an occassional gun or two myself, that is to be expected. Thanks cornbread for typing slowly so us dumbass, butterfingered, drool factories could figure it out.

Bob

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not good.

Seems like a good solution to me.

How did it go over? I imagine there were some unhappy people.

BTW - Does "upsidedown shoulder holster" mean that the barrel was actually pointing in your armpit? Isn't that pretty hard to draw from?

Actually, all I got was a brief look by a few people.

Yes, it is pointing at your armpit.

I think in that part of town, everybody was packing something.

As to drawing it, it was too easy, maybe thats why it fell out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#32]
A man dropped a loaded Davis .32 auto in a K Mart and the damn thing did EXACTLY as most of these pieces of shit tend to do. It fired when it hit the floor and the round went through the ankle of an elderly lady standing nearby.

My point was IF THIS IDIOT HAD A DROP SAFE GUN THE LADY WOULD HAVE NOT BEEN SHOT.

This cheap POS was a danger to it's owner and everyone around him because of it's poor design and cheap materials. It could have fired without being droped.

He was an idiot because he carried the POS against advice from people that KNEW such a  gun was dangerous and was not drop safe.

He felt that since he was not capable of doing anything so stupid as droping this gun it was safe for him to carry it with a loaded chamber.

This guys actions caused great pain and suffering to an innocent person.

Pain that would have been prevented by the use of a decent gun instead of a POS.

You can say that his act of droping the pistol caused the accident and that is true but this accident would have not been possible IF he was carring a good safe pistol.

His major mistake was not droping the pistol. It was his choice of pistol.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#33]
While getting out of my truck in front of a restaurant my Glock 23 flew out of my unzippered fanny pack landing on the pavement in front of a large plate glass window. Behind the large plate glass window were two cops looking directly at me. Their eyes never left me the entire time I was there. Some people have no sense of humor.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 1:29:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm not French - I never drop my guns!

But seriously, I've leaned my FNC against a flat surface and had it fall over. More than once. That's what you do in the military - you repeat things over and over.

But no, never dropped a handgun.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I've had a couple of drops!  If you handle firearms every day for years your bound to drop one sooner or later.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#36]
not yet, knock on wood
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I should have specified loaded carry weapons because that is closer to what I meant.  
I think if you drop a loaded handgun it is time to seriously reconsider your involvement in the sport.

Carry weapons are not for sport, you have a CCW and don't make the distinction?

Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I should have specified loaded carry weapons because that is closer to what I meant.  
I think if you drop a loaded handgun it is time to seriously reconsider your involvement in the sport.

Carry weapons are not for sport, you have a CCW and don't make the distinction?

Good point. But since I did not specify I am assuming (hoping) that most (99.9%) of the "drops" were in the field around preferably nobody or at least only other sportsmen, which would be for sport, no? If I asked again with only carry handguns I wonder how much the number would go down?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I dropped my G26 in line at the grocery store in front of a bunch of people one day.  That was really embarrassing!
Not really.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top