Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2003 11:31:01 PM EDT
I have a cheapo CVA Bobcat in .50cal..It's a nice little shooter until I can spare a few hundred bucks and get what I want which is a Hawkin....(I keep spending all my money on modern stuff and BP is kinda last on my list)

Anyway, I have a powder horn measurement of 30gr of powder. This is what I have been using for lead ball ammo...I use either Pyrodex or real BP FFg....

I plan on going hunting Javelina this year during our HAM (Handgun, Archery, Muzzle Loader)season and I want to make sure I have enough umph behind a T/C 350gr Maxi-Hunter.

I have a book, and it's old and doesn't have loads for newer types of ammo... So, I thought I would ask you guys so I don't have to go buy a new one because I am a cheapskate...

Thanks for answering...
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:58:09 AM EDT
[#1]
According to my manual, which I assume is the same as you are using, 90gr is the max load for a 385gr buffalo bullet. So you are probably safe with 90gr. Load it up. Shoot 3-5 shots from benchrest, and decide if you are happy with the group. Then practice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Goex Powder suggests 80-85gr of FFg.

90gr would probably be OK, for hunting. Any more than that, and your groups will start to open up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top