Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2003 9:33:40 AM EDT
I want to replace the extractor in my new Kimber, since it's one of the MIM parts and all.  Will a series 80 work, or do I need something fance 'cause of the new Schwartz safety?
Any thoughts on what brand/type/model would be best?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
a series 80 should work

series 80 parts will always work in a series 70 gun, but not usually backwards.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#2]
For anyone else who cares,I got an email from Kimber today saying that the Series 80 extractor will work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Wilson or Ed Brown extractors have always done well by me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#4]
The Series 80 version is thinner and will likely not last as long, so be sure you need it versus a Series 70.  That being said, Caspian Arms offers a Series 80 milled from bar stock 17-4PH stainless.  I installed one in my Colt CCO and it's a great piece.  I recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
thinner ?
where is it thinner? even if they are and dont last 2000 rnds, they are cheap and easy to replace.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#6]
There is less material at the rear of the Series 80 extractor versus the Series 70 version.  This "cutout" is is needed to accomodate the firing pin safety plunger.

You can see them side-by-side here:
www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/003660.1.1331235505318238861

The Series 80 Extractor is the upper one in this photo.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah i understand, seen and know why series 80 extractors have the plunger cut out, i figured this is what you meant by "thinner".

but i have never seen nor heard of a series 80 extractor breaking in the cut out area, they always break at the tip, where they get the abuse and wear.

i heard that even the new colt 70 series guns still use a lot of 80 series parts, so i wouldnt worry about breakage because of the cutout.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#8]
OK.  I haven't ever experienced a broken extractor so I will defer to you on that one.  I was just considering the overall robustness of the two designs and the Series 80 definitely looks more fragile considering it functions like a leaf spring.

Whether you use a 70 or 80 part, make damn sure you don't go with a cheap cast one.  Machined from a bar stock forging is the only way.

Edit:  It looks like my Ed Brown link did not work properly.  It was supposed to take you to his extractor page.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top