Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2003 9:21:50 AM EDT

I'm trying to decide what the best barrel  would be for the wife.
 I have a post-ban RRA M4gery with the 16"
M4 barrel & presed on faux flash suppressor.
I'm going to put a RRA shorty stock on here but I'm debating getting a 14.5" barrel with a brake or an ultra-light 16" barrel.

What's best? Less weight or shorter OAL ??

Brake or no brake ?  NOISE vs. recoil ?
(although I think recoil from the .223 is mild)

thoughts,opnions,suggestions ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd get one of those 16" Bushmaster Super light ones and have Kurt at KKF cut it to 14.5" and permanently install at A3 Tac Brake.  An Entry stock may be too short, my wife is 5' tall and those are too small.  I made her a post ban CAR stock using a pre ban receiver extension,  I just drilled and tapped the hole 1.5" shorter than fully extended length.  And used a cap screw socket 1/4" x 1-1/2" stainless steel allen head screw from Home Depot.  You use this screw instead of the plunger that a pre ban stock has.  The receiver extension is drilled and tapped and cannot collapse.  The post ban CAR stock I originally bought from J&T had the same size screw but it was black.

I'm presently building her another carbine on a RRA receiver and a .21 Ghengis (5.45x39) complete upper from Alexander Arms (it comes with a M4 profile barrel which I may have turned down to a 'pencil thin' profile.  

She has an 14.5" M4 Bushy with an A2 upper and AK brake right now on a DPMS cast lower (with the stock I mentioned) and she wishes it were lighter.  I am going to put a Fat Boy PRI gas tube on this eventually.  And I want to change the AK brake to an A3 Tac Brake like mine the AK brake is loud as hell and has a tremendous amount of blast.  The A3 Tac Brake is pretty mild on my M4gery.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure, I'll trade

(oops)

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]

That's what I was thinking too ...
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's what I was thinking too ...

I need to think about thread titles more don't I !!!!!!!!!  

Thanks for the info.  gotm4 !
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
So what's wrong with the wife that she's not worth a select fire rifle?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#7]
cnatra;

I made a huge mistake building a lightweight AR.  I sourced a local stripped lower and put on the tactical entry stock and mated a superlight 16" DPMS A3 upper.  Added on the triple low rail.  Swapped out the rail and went with an ARMS #40 (I like having spare stuff laying around.)

I was very proud of my first build and mated an Aimpoint ML2 and had to show it off to my g/f.  Well, the AR is no longer "mine" as it was annexed by my girlfriend.  She likes the weight and thinks the red dot is "bitchin'".  Well, I have more parts showing up to build another one, as I don't think I will get much use out of this one...

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
cnatra;
I made a huge mistake building a lightweight AR.  I sourced a local stripped lower and put on the tactical entry stock and mated a superlight 16" DPMS A3 upper.  Added on the triple low rail.  Swapped out the rail and went with an ARMS #40 (I like having spare stuff laying around.)

Thanks for more ideas!

The 16"  DPMS have a brake or just a crowned barrel ??
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Crowned barrel. Hopefully, this time next year I can have a flash suppressor on it!

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#10]
took my wife to the range . rra20nm too heavy off hand . now im buying her entry rra .lol 2 more weeks i hope . she is 5foot 6 120 . too much recoil? buffalo rock rules . she shot mine very well off the bench though .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top